Sign in to follow this  
Malakite

Acoms controller help!!

Hi guys - so I have not done anything with my gear for the past couple of years due to so many things happening in my life..but now that it is time to dust everything off and down, I wondered if anyone knew why my perfectly good Acoms Techniplus AP-202 controllers seemed to have stopped working, and if any of you have ever experienced this before and if so what to do??..

In a nutshell, they were working fine.  They have sat in the shed for two years and now they don't.  Obviously I have put new batteries in, I have also sanded the contact points for the batteries etc.. any ideas?  Has anyone every had this happen before at all?

Oh boy. I have never seen battery acid invade a circuit board that badly.

@Malakite definitely have a look inside. Your radio is a later Acoms. I've been thinking of picking some of those up for projects. Vintage Acoms were always extremely reliable (same as any other of the early Japanese brands - super robust AM radio gear that lasts forever). And I don't think I've ever heard of them dying, unless invaded by water, acid, mice...

Simple rule - never leave batteries in any device, when not in use. Especially RC cars and radios.

thanks guys - well none of the batteries leaked at all - thats why I am so confused?  Shall I open them up and take some pics for you?

stuck switch??, have you tried whacking it?.

A gentle slap first just to let it know who's boss, then hit it harder till light comes on. Old Acoms radios don't die, its probably just sleeping.

tell us more about the symptoms...  No power at all? or power on  but just not working? if the latter, try working the servo reverse switches a few times... If  you have other Tx crystals, try a different set.  Are you able to check the voltage at the switch?

On 6/1/2019 at 11:10 PM, Malakite said:

thanks guys - well none of the batteries leaked at all - thats why I am so confused?  Shall I open them up and take some pics for you?

Open it up. The batteries had not leaked in the transmitter I showed under my black rot picture......it could also just be a wire from the battery compartment has corroded and broken loose....it happens sometimes

On 6/4/2019 at 12:19 AM, kalsh said:

Open it up. The batteries had not leaked in the transmitter I showed under my black rot picture......it could also just be a wire from the battery compartment has corroded and broken loose....it happens sometimes

Hi - so it's bizarre - I opened them up, no wires were broken, but I swapped the battery box from the one that worked, to the two that did not, and boom - they showed as working!  I took some sand paper to every battery terminal inside their boxes and out, and lo and behold, they 'appear' to be working fine!  I screwed them all back and the lights didn't go on..I took apart again, sanded a bit more, and hey presto back on again lol ... I can therefore only assume that it is a case that the terminals were (although not rusty) the cause of the problem...fingers crossed all is ok now - thank you for your help! :-)