Sign in to follow this  
Hudson

Bear Hawk front shock tower modification

Hi all, I have a nice Bear Hawk that I'm restoring and I want to replace the original shocks with red tamiya cva shocks (Hot Shot 2 Supe Sabre), I just happen to have these and of course the colour is true to the original so it feels like a nice solution.  The obvious problem is that the replacement shocks are a fair bit longer than the originals (fronts) so the only sensible solution is to increase the shock tower height by 15mm or so.  Has anyone ever done this or have any ideas.  Is there a bolt on replacement or a known modification?  This is not my area of expertise but looking at it I feel that it can't be too tricky!!

Cheers

Stephen

You can shorted the shock length but putting some 3mm tube inside the shock under the piston. 

Put the tube where the red is. Or check your spare parts trees there may be some spaces you can use,

26418676977_83b86877cc_b.jpg

This isn't gonna work for me because the plastic reservoir part is too long, if I shorten the piston (with loads of spacers) to create the right length shock, there's just no travel left at all on the shock (if that makes sense!).  I basically need a more drastic solution.

I replaced the one my BH with one from an astute, don't have a pic sorry as I sold it a long time ago. From memory I cut the original away leaving enough to bolt the astute tower. 

Get white buggy DT03 CVA set and RIT dye them red?

7 hours ago, zakspeed said:

I replaced the one my BH with one from an astute, don't have a pic sorry as I sold it a long time ago. From memory I cut the original away leaving enough to bolt the astute tower. 

Funnily enough I'd been eyeing up the Astute tower as a possible option.  Thanks for advice.

4 hours ago, waterbok said:

Get white buggy DT03 CVA set and RIT dye them red?

Also thanks!  another good option.......

I dyed some white shocks red, they dont come out as bright as tamiyas red though, ive a feeling it may need orange dye with a bit of red added. Would take a fair bit of experementing. The red dye would only go pink to quite a dull darkish red, not the bright red needed.

I agree, I think matching the colours would be difficult. I’m favouring the graphite tower bolt on option. Actually having inspected the Astute shock tower it’s more or less identical in height to the stock Bear Hawk one. Of course I could bolt the Astute tower on to the original in a higher position but I do also want to keep in mind the aesthetics! 

I’m getting fussy now I know but can anyone think of a graphite option with more height? Dayna Storm probably too big?

41 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I agree, I think matching the colours would be difficult. I’m favouring the graphite tower bolt on option. Actually having inspected the Astute shock tower it’s more or less identical in height to the stock Bear Hawk one. Of course I could bolt the Astute tower on to the original in a higher position but I do also want to keep in mind the aesthetics! 

I’m getting fussy now I know but can anyone think of a graphite option with more height? Dayna Storm probably too big?

Just a thought, i had the same issue when i put hicaps on my vanquish.

I decided to get a custom one made.

Tought myself to use cad, drew up the ideal shock tower, and am currently waiting for a quote from fibrelyte on getting it cut.

I cant use computers, didnt think i could pull it off, but i did.

That sounds like the perfect solution, thanks for the tip. I’ll get busy designing my perfect shock tower.......

Ok so in the end I went with the Astute shock tower option. I'm pleased with the result.  Red CVA's used all round, lot's of travel on all the shocks, the only small issue I need to resolve is the front fixing for the body shell,  the body now rests on the new shock tower a few millimetres higher than before so I can't get the snap pin in.  I think it's an easy enough fix - I just need to find best option. 

Thanks to zakspeed for the tip

IMG_3146.JPG

IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

• Like 2