RCRod

TT02B high speed gear set (68T)

Can I drop the TT02B high speed gear set in my Neo Scorcher with the torque tuned motor? The only upgrades on the car are ball bearings and aluminium shaft and propeller joints? I also have a Sport tuned motor on the way.

You can, but I suspect you'll find it overgeared with a torque tuned motor. I put a 19T pinion on with the torque tuned and it was slower. However, switch to brushless and you'll really benefit from the high speed gear set. 

I think the main benefit of that is you can fit just about any spur gear, so combine it with the Yeah Racing motor mount and you have any gear ratio you want.

• Thanks 1

What about a super stock motor a BZ or RZ with the aluminium motor mount and a larger say a 22T pinion gear, would that work?

The chart below shows you the possible gear ratios (aka final drive ratio or FDR) using the standard plastic motor mount and either the 68T (high speed), 64T (option) or 70T (standard) spur gears. You don't need the high speed gear set nor an aluminium mount to use a 22T pinion. It will fit with the standard 70T pinion gear just by moving the motor to a different set of holes in the plastic motor mount, see the chart below. 

The lower your final drive ratio, the less acceleration/torque you'll have but the higher your potential top speed will be. If you change to a 22T pinion from a 17T the car will certainly reach a higher top speed on smooth asphalt but it may go even slower on grass or gravel because it may no longer have enough torque low down to power through the rough ground. My advice would be to buy a 22T 0.6mod pinion since they are cheap, install it and see the effect for yourself. 

The main advantage of the high speed hopup is not to change the 70T spur gear for a 68T, since that is an almost unnoticeable change. The purpose is that you get the aluminium gear mount in the set so you need not restrict yourself to tamiya spur gears anymore. Any gear with 4 mounting holes that line up with the aluminium gear mount can now be used. Common aftermarket gears have a tooth pitch of 48P or 64P. 48P is a finer imperial tooth pitch than the metric '0.6mod' pitch that Tamiya normally use. 64P is an even finer tooth pitch again. As a rule of thumb, the finer the teeth the quieter and smoother the gears run but the more fragile they are. If you buy high quality 64P gears they will still be stronger and last longer than low quality 48P or 0.6mod gears however.

When you start using 48P or 64P pitch gears instead of 0.6mod then you also need the Yeah Racing mount because the holes in the Tamiya mounts only give you adjustments which mesh 0.6mod gears properly. The Yeah Racing mount allows one motor screw to slide in a slot so that it is infinitely adjustable. That can be advantageous when you want to achieve a much lower final drive ratio than possible using 64T-70T spurs. Brushless motors typically have much higher torque than brushed and lower maximum rpm so they require a lower final drive ratio. Similarly, touring cars which race on smooth tracks will favour a lower final drive ratio since torque will be traded for higher top speed down the straights. It would not be unheard of for instance to run a final drive ratio of around 3.50 1 on a TT02 touring car with a 21.5turn brushless motor.

There is honestly not much difference between the different tamiya 23-27turn brushed motors (silver can, sport tuned, torque tuned, super stock, etc). If you're after a significant jump in speed and power you'd be far better off going straight to a brushless motor and playing with gear ratios later. 13.5turn sensored brushless motor would be a good starting point and will work with the TBLE02S ESC if that's what you've got at the moment.

Chart_zpsrtd4lzwn.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow! Thanks a lot

Chart_zpsrtd4lzwn.jpg

Hi nb TMM,

I appreciate you taking the time to type all that out for me, I've just got back into the hobby and have a TT02B and a DT-03, both stock out of the box except for ball bearings on both and the aluminium shaft and propeller hubs on the TT02B and carbon damper stays on the DT-03. Now I've bought the below stuff for a bargain from my cousin who is now expecting a baby. So all NEW still in the box;

-Tamiya sport tuned motor

-Tamiya super stock BZ motor 

-Tamiya super stock RZ motor 

-TT02b high speed gear set 68t

-TT02b aluminium motor mount 

-Tamiya 20t & 21t and 22t & 23t pinion gears 

So I want to do stuff with all that but don't really know where to start or what to combine with what, the terrain I got is huge flat open short grass pitches used for cricket with a few uneven areas here and there. So what would you recommend to start with or do I need to get other stuff?

Thanks

58 minutes ago, nbTMM said:

The chart below shows you the possible gear ratios (aka final drive ratio or FDR) using the standard plastic motor mount and either the 68T (high speed), 64T (option) or 70T (standard) spur gears. You don't need the high speed gear set nor an aluminium mount to use a 22T pinion. It will fit with the standard 70T pinion gear just by moving the motor to a different set of holes in the plastic motor mount, see the chart below. 

The lower your final drive ratio, the less acceleration/torque you'll have but the higher your potential top speed will be. If you change to a 22T pinion from a 17T the car will certainly reach a higher top speed on smooth asphalt but it may go even slower on grass or gravel because it may no longer have enough torque low down to power through the rough ground. My advice would be to buy a 22T 0.6mod pinion since they are cheap, install it and see the effect for yourself. 

The main advantage of the high speed hopup is not to change the 70T spur gear for a 68T, since that is an almost unnoticeable change. The purpose is that you get the aluminium gear mount in the set so you need not restrict yourself to tamiya spur gears anymore. Any gear with 4 mounting holes that line up with the aluminium gear mount can now be used. Common aftermarket gears have a tooth pitch of 48P or 64P. 48P is a finer imperial tooth pitch than the metric '0.6mod' pitch that Tamiya normally use. 64P is an even finer tooth pitch again. As a rule of thumb, the finer the teeth the quieter and smoother the gears run but the more fragile they are. If you buy high quality 64P gears they will still be stronger and last longer than low quality 48P or 0.6mod gears however.

When you start using 48P or 64P pitch gears instead of 0.6mod then you also need the Yeah Racing mount because the holes in the Tamiya mounts only give you adjustments which mesh 0.6mod gears properly. The Yeah Racing mount allows one motor screw to slide in a slot so that it is infinitely adjustable. That can be advantageous when you want to achieve a much lower final drive ratio than possible using 64T-70T spurs. Brushless motors typically have much higher torque than brushed and lower maximum rpm so they require a lower final drive ratio. Similarly, touring cars which race on smooth tracks will favour a lower final drive ratio since torque will be traded for higher top speed down the straights. It would not be unheard of for instance to run a final drive ratio of around 3.50 1 on a TT02 touring car with a 21.5turn brushless motor.

There is honestly not much difference between the different tamiya 23-27turn brushed motors (silver can, sport tuned, torque tuned, super stock, etc). If you're after a significant jump in speed and power you'd be far better off going straight to a brushless motor and playing with gear ratios later. 13.5turn sensored brushless motor would be a good starting point and will work with the TBLE02S ESC if that's what you've got at the moment.

Chart_zpsrtd4lzwn.jpg

Hi nb TMM,

I appreciate you taking the time to type all that out for me, I've just got back into the hobby and have a TT02B and a DT-03, both stock out of the box except for ball bearings on both and the aluminium shaft and propeller hubs on the TT02B and carbon damper stays on the DT-03. Now I've bought the below stuff for a bargain from my cousin who is now expecting a baby. So all NEW still in the box;

So I want to do stuff with all that but don't really know where to start or what to combine with what, the terrain I got is huge flat open short grass pitches used for cricket with a few uneven areas here and there. So what would you recommend to start with or do I need to get other stuff?

Thanks

Rod 

58 minutes ago, nbTMM said:

Chart_zpsrtd4lzwn.jpg

Hi nb TMM,

Thanks

Rod 

What esc are you using? The rz and bz will not work with the tamiya tble included in the kit

2 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

What esc are you using? The rz and bz will not work with the tamiya tble included in the kit

Really? Why not? What will make them work?

6 hours ago, nbTMM said:

Chart_zpsrtd4lzwn.jpg

Hi nb TMM,

Thanks

Rod 

7 hours ago, RCRod said:

Really? Why not? What will make them work?

Hi nb TMM,

Thanks

Rod 

The 23T Super stock motors are out of spec for the TBLE-02S but a friend of mine runs them in a Fox and Bigwig and Boomerang without issue. It may overheat and shut down though.

The silvercan, torque tuned and sport tuned are all pretty similar but the Super Stock motors are a step above them. If anything you would need to drop the gearing for the Super Stock, not go for a bigger pinion. The goal is to gear the car so the motor is in its optimal rpm range. The lower turn motors generally require a smaller pinion, all else being equal, than a higher turn motor. The chart above shows the FDR for a given spur and pinion combination. Check the info that comes with the motor for what FDR will work best. I run brushless so have no idea for the brushed motors, but generally brushed require a higher FDR/lower gearing than brushless.

That high speed gearset seems to be to convert the TT02B to run brushless motors.

Where are you based? You may be able to swap one of those super stock motors with someone for a 13.5T brushless motor which is a great motor for the TT02B. As an aside, the 13.5T has replaced 23T as super stock now in race classes.

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The 23T Super stock motors are out of spec for the TBLE-02S but a friend of mine runs them in a Fox and Bigwig and Boomerang without issue. It may overheat and shut down though.

The silvercan, torque tuned and sport tuned are all pretty similar but the Super Stock motors are a step above them. If anything you would need to drop the gearing for the Super Stock, not go for a bigger pinion. The goal is to gear the car so the motor is in its optimal rpm range. The lower turn motors generally require a smaller pinion, all else being equal, than a higher turn motor. The chart above shows the FDR for a given spur and pinion combination. Check the info that comes with the motor for what FDR will work best. I run brushless so have no idea for the brushed motors, but generally brushed require a higher FDR/lower gearing than brushless.

That high speed gearset seems to be to convert the TT02B to run brushless motors.

Where are you based? You may be able to swap one of those super stock motors with someone for a 13.5T brushless motor which is a great motor for the TT02B. As an aside, the 13.5T has replaced 23T as super stock now in race classes.

Thanks Jonathon, I'm from the states but living in the UK, rc hobby shops are few and far between and tamiya stuff is scarce even on UK based online shops so I'm picking up bits where I can, I'm just nostalgic for tamiya, I'm going to an rc shop in Brentford in the London area and see what they got, I look into a brushless setup.

1 hour ago, RCRod said:

Thanks Jonathon, I'm from the states but living in the UK, rc hobby shops are few and far between and tamiya stuff is scarce even on UK based online shops so I'm picking up bits where I can, I'm just nostalgic for tamiya, I'm going to an rc shop in Brentford in the London area and see what they got, I look into a brushless setup.

There are heaps of members from the UK. If you are interested post in the sale or trades section, swap the Super Stock motor for a 13.5T brushless.  I'm in New Zealand so postage would rule it out, but the value of a Super Stock motor is roughly the same as a decent sensored brushless motor like Speed Passion or Trackstar. That will work well with your TBLE-02S that you already have and be free.

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

There are heaps of members from the UK. If you are interested post in the sale or trades section, swap the Super Stock motor for a 13.5T brushless.  I'm in New Zealand so postage would rule it out, but the value of a Super Stock motor is roughly the same as a decent sensored brushless motor like Speed Passion or Trackstar. That will work well with your TBLE-02S that you already have and be free.

I'm going to keep the super stock motors for my DT-03 and find an esc that will run them, hopefully at this shop  in london I'm going to where he advertises a lot of Robitronic brushless setups and esc units. Ever heard of Robitronic? Will one of their brushless setups suit my tt02b? Prices vary from £45 - £200 for motor and esc combos 

After reading this thread in great detail I purchased a 48P 68T spur gear and 20T pinion from Yeah Racing for my Neo Scorcher. The spur gear is too small in diameter (36mm) to enable any meshing of this combination using the adjustable motor mount.  The 0.6 mod 68T Tamiya pinion supplied with the high speed gear set is 41mm worn out. Any specific brands or part numbers that work  on the TT02  with this gearing? 48P too small. Thanks.

Edited by OzFrog84
Edit

If it’s of any interest I run a modified TT01 61t spur. Currently have a 30t pinion and 3800kv 3660 motor fitted. Torque is daft so it may work. Previously ran a 4300kv 3650 and 25t pinion, was silly fast but more is more right?