Terz1

WT01 Big wheel project - problems

Hi guys I've been changing my WT01 into a something that fits size wise between a clodbuster and a blackfoot 3. I found a bruiser type body which is pretty spot on wheelbase wise. I felt the blackfoot shell fit the orv perfectly but was a little short for the WT01 chassis. 

So my problem is the tyres I've got are 2.2 and fit the original wheels but have the style of the clod tyres but size wise are bigger than the monster spikes and smaller than the clods. They look just as I want but when nearing full acceleration they start shaking quite violently. Is this due to the suspension arms not being strong enough to support them? 

The last time I experienced anything like this was during a Kingcab restoration project when I'd washed the tyres and rims while still mounted and water got in the breather holes and a similar shaking happened. This stopped when I realised what had happened. These have been nowhere near water though. 

Here's a pic of the WT01 with larger tyres and magnetically mounted bruiser style body. And the tyres I'm using so you get an idea of scale and size. IMG_20190226_202146.thumb.jpg.cfa16671d44be6d07b8516bd33d1f392.jpg

Here's a size comparison. Between the clod, blackfoot and these tyres. I tried to shoot a vid of the tyres shaking but the file size was to large. 

IMG_20190209_123026.jpg

Sounds like the tires might not be well balanced on the wheels. This is what usually causes wheel vibration. I'd double check that the tires fit evenly all the way round.

It could also be the tire distorting at high rpm. If you glued them on, did you 'spot weld' them with superglue, or glue the whole seam down. If they've been glued down with spots, the tire can actually balloon into a star shape at high speed where it's trying to pull off the rim and the glue is only holding it on in places.

• Like 1

I was thinking it might be a balancing issue. When I had water in the wheels on another project the water caused such an imbalance. The tyres are fit well all the way around but you might be right about the gluing. I've not actually glued them on yet. I removed the foams just in case this increased mass was making it worse but if they are coming away from the wheel at high speed like you say that might be the problem. Cheers @MadInventor I'll put a seam of glue either side of the rim and see what happens. 

This also happens to my good ladies WT-01, never happened on our other two.

I assumed it was due to a slight buckle in something.

• Like 1

Can be several things, bearings not tight enough in hubs and on axles. F&R Hub and knuckle lose on the screw pins. Play in the upper arms, play in the lower arms. WT = Wobly Tamiya

But I love mine ;)

• Like 1

If the wobble is in all four wheels then it seems more like a tyre balance issue, but it's worth checking all corners for play anyway.

I used to run my Dagger with some very big and sticky Ho Bao wheels and it used to shake and rattle a lost on 14.4v power.  The springs were too soft to cope with the weight of the tyres, and the basic steering servo couldn't cope with the grip of the tyres and the weight of a metal chassis and 2 NiMH packs.  It was a lot better once I upgraded to twin steering servos.

I found the speed, weight and group would regularly bend axle stubs.  In the end I gave up on the idea of a 14.4v Dagger and dismantled it ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, lots more to check then :D. I'll check everything is nice and tight. I do need to glue the tyres so I'll do that too. One thing I did notice which isn't related is the movement of the servo when steering. The plastic servo mounts allow the servo to move so much when steering since fitting these tyres. I think I might have to look for an aluminium mount to reduce it.

Your Dagger sounded like a beast Mad Ax, and a full metal chassis, nice! Have you any pics? And true waterbok WT may stand for wobbly tamiya :lol:. But yep we love them.

2 hours ago, Terz1 said:

Thanks for the info, lots more to check then :D. I'll check everything is nice and tight. I do need to glue the tyres so I'll do that too. One thing I did notice which isn't related is the movement of the servo when steering. The plastic servo mounts allow the servo to move so much when steering since fitting these tyres. I think I might have to look for an aluminium mount to reduce it.

Your Dagger sounded like a beast Mad Ax, and a full metal chassis, nice! Have you any pics? And true waterbok WT may stand for wobbly tamiya :lol:. But yep we love them.

Servo mounting screws were always working loose on ours.

• Like 1

I don't have any pics handy of my old WT.  It looked impressive but was terrible to drive.  I'll rebuild an all-plastic version on silvercans one day.

• Like 1

I still got some of these (white, 14€ standard mail europe) or you can get them at Shapeways.

0vTU-KAcidOyaJ0zIk6EdA0O04-KO2k2kBquM0jW_I9Jv3m4ad_JDRgNKLJo_5QZS7wLfub41W_302ApqgEd3vip6YLMK2g13SzhdTHECsi9dDjfjvlV8Gzdj0_wZBhRtB_9-85Kt24Ps1Ov0PAJnzAxy_P3H-k3tT85bCuWTWzDKZZxcV3jtmx8yp8rl1ThR1KZIV49ScVHZdIWz_3sEzpVDBloCo_sW9afAx0uCXR6tN1FRPJjsH9G8PeuFpxwbwUXHfXiJpBsmcbATvn_Jeqj053y1ZJCWyb8II9wuPUSBtc5ekmaBjmgn7y2Iip1zCM2JTQhWIji1E3bX1ttiVMsGltZRTI1p5jzSaBJwwbj5H8yMB_JYanFrt71aBpqp9_GnQJbmIJvEc42HSo3t7qRSJfAZ8vZpFt1yk2Lk2ZvIdqHfgr6D6nIcDL89g9Au8m_JLoTccqciqpMNjU45QFAIFH_7CRr3Ibi7FE_BcR0MyvdA0ggW-nKGO57at5Xv1VfqTOJCJLU1i-xxMEdknEeHPvJw99n0p9t7CX_iZudpdMDiOpOsQC_b-Iav23UUsgIcD2DaUnZHz5Bz9xuPgzdMYI6IasPBcs2aBFKHg4bqh5QhFLrd4HQp5VvkN5MvP7n7QHPqkuFB3JgnWr0-j0C51-glIc=w1201-h1212-no

• Like 1

I made a servo mount out of a plastic coat hook that cost me 2.5 euro in a hardware store,  it bolds on both sides of the chassis.

have you shimmed the wheel axle there a lot of play in it and help it you shim it.

IMG_7030.JPG

• Thanks 1

The standard servo mounts broke on my first run. I moddeled and 3D printed one that mounts to both sides of the chassis with 4 screws into the original servo mount positions.

59x2DlA.jpg

Very stiff and works great. If you know someone with a 3D printer, I can mail the files.

• Like 1