superted

Hilux monster racer motor

Hi guys

does anybody know the correct 540 motor for the monster racer hilux?

which model 540 motor it had originally?

cheers

On 6/7/2019 at 6:38 PM, superted said:

Hi guys

does anybody know the correct 540 motor for the monster racer hilux?

which model 540 motor it had originally?

cheers

So, we really need to look at photos of NIB kits to get the proper answer for this.

Here is the page of all NIB examples listed on TC...

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/userridescat.asp?id=86&cat=1&cn=NIB

From the photos, to me the motor which appears in this kit is always the late 1980s style Mabuchi 540 - with the recessed, black endbell. The earlier examples of this motor are the ones with green/yellow wires and a sticker on them that says "RS 540SH".

This motor was revised however, and by the early 1990s it seemed to still have the same recessed black endbell. But the sticker was no longer on it. Also the ventilation holes on the silver can became smaller. While the recessed black endbell was revised also - the connection points around the wires were light-coloured plastic, and the general appearance of the endbell was different. I think this motor was still technically an "RS 540SH" though. Correct me if wrong.

Here is the closest photo I could find of the motor in the Hilux kit. Based on this photo, the motor is the slightly revised version I described above. However, it was not uncommon for NIB kits to experience a couple of variants in the motor they came with, during their production runs (especially if they were long production runs). Still, it's nice to be able to say your car has one of the original kit motor types in it.

img24856_18082010074314_5.jpg

Good on you superted, for your effort to find the original kit motor type ^_^

H.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info guys

i have been given a brand new hilux monster racer that was in my friends loft its never been used, original unpainted body and decals its absolutely mint. Only thing missing is a manual and motor. Think he built the chassis and never painted the body  just put it away and thats where its sat  even the original tyres are still soft  so well happy just need the correct motor and paint the body and shes done.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, superted said:

Thanks for all the info guys

i have been given a brand new hilux monster racer that was in my friends loft its never been used, original unpainted body and decals its absolutely mint. Only thing missing is a manual and motor. Think he built the chassis and never painted the body  just put it away and thats where its sat  even the original tyres are still soft  so well happy just need the correct motor and paint the body and shes done.

Lucky Boy