Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

Touring car wheel offset - can someone explain please?

Trying to get my head around wheel offsets on touring cars, specifically wider rear wheels. If a rear wheel says it is 6mm offset, does that make it 6mm per side wide across the outside of the wheels? 6mm overall? Trying to work out about running wider rear wheels on the 2wd idea i have whilst still using a regular 190mm body. Thanks! 

If you replace +0 wheels with +6 wheels of the same width then the car becomes 12mm wider overall (6mm each side) measured from inner tyre edge to inner tyre edge, or outer tyre edge to outer tyre edge. Replacing the wheel hexes with different thickness ones has the same effect e.g. replacing a 6mm thick hex with a 12mm thick hex is the same effect as going from a +0 wheel to a +6 wheel. You'll need longer axles if you want to increase the hex thickness that much though.

If you replace 24mm wide wheels with 30mm wide wheels, same wheel offset, then it becomes 6mm wider overall (3mm each side) measured from the outer edge to outer edge and 6mm narrower overall (3mm per side) measured from inner edge to inner edge.

• Like 1

To expand on this a bit, offset is how far the centre line of the wheel is from the mounting face. The area of the wheel that contacts the hex, if that is on the wheels centre line the wheel is 0 offset. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, salvine said:

Important to note that "0 offset' RC touring car wheels are not actually 0 offset in the traditional sense. The surface on the wheel that mates to the hex adapter on a +0 wheel is actually about 6mm from the wheel centerline. I assume this is because the offset is measured with a hex adapter installed (6mm hex thickness perhaps?).