Man1c M0nk3y

Wild Willy 2 Tyres.

Evening all. 

Just a real quick one. Playing around with something and have acquired a couple of sets of Wild Willy 2 style wheels (specifically the ones off the VW bus but I presume they are identical apart from colour) but no tyres. 

Before I look to order some Tamiya ones does anyone make alternatives?

Also, I’m assuming the front and rear tyres are the same size or will I be needing to buy two sets or at least two pairs of rears as it’s the rears I using all 4 of. 

Cheers. 

Plenty of tyres can be fitted, the problem is that the wheels are very wide so most tyres look silly stretched once they’re fitted. 

The Tamiya ones are pretty good value & tough as old boots, & yes all 4 wheels are the same width/size.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, max69vk said:

Plenty of tyres can be fitted, the problem is that the wheels are very wide so most tyres look silly stretched once they’re fitted. 

The Tamiya ones are pretty good value & tough as old boots, & yes all 4 wheels are the same width/size.

Cheers. Assumed as much and expected width to be the issue. Wanted to see if any viable options first and tbh ‘tough as old boots’ is perfect anyway as the kids will be running it. 

The standard Willy tires are a bit hard and don't have to much traction with is ok, if you want to have a little bit more grip have a look at the tires from the GF01 dump truck those are softer and have great traction.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, waterbok said:

The standard Willy tires are a bit hard and don't have to much traction with is ok, if you want to have a little bit more grip have a look at the tires from the GF01 dump truck those are softer and have great traction.

Interesting. So the GF01 dump uses Wild Willy style wheels then not the big daft ones on the Toyota 40?

It'll be run mainly on grass and sand when done.

A option to look at for sure. Now to find a part number and seller. 

Mmm maybe ask Tony's Tamiya parts?

Over here the WW set of four are 22€ and the soft spike set of two 15€

8 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Before I look to order some Tamiya ones does anyone make alternatives?

There are very nice cheap Chinese options being made nowadays. I particularly like these ones:

s-l1600.jpg

There are others. Here's the other tires and some other optional parts that can be useful:

s-l1600.jpg

Here's one link but there are more sellers on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/tires-set-Shock-bumper-wheel-bar-for-tamiya-CW-01-Lunch-Box-Midnight-Pumpkin/273666966115?hash=item3fb7d28263:m:mKHjyY0Q6Ux7sx3AamcIyrw

• Like 1

8 hours ago, waterbok said:

Mmm maybe ask Tony's Tamiya parts?

Over here the WW set of four are 22€ and the soft spike set of two 15€

Around the same as here then by sound of it. TTP is where I looked. Might see if he will do a deal on two sets of the spikes. Worth trying if nothing else. 

3 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

There are very nice cheap Chinese options being made nowadays. I particularly like these ones:

s-l1600.jpg

There are others. Here's the other tires and some other optional parts that can be useful:

s-l1600.jpg

Here's one link but there are more sellers on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/tires-set-Shock-bumper-wheel-bar-for-tamiya-CW-01-Lunch-Box-Midnight-Pumpkin/273666966115?hash=item3fb7d28263:m:mKHjyY0Q6Ux7sx3AamcIyrw

Cheers. Will investigate those. 

I bought the sand paddle version recently. I haven't run them but the look good and feel fairly soft. Measurements are a bit off so I can get a measure of them for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

I bought the sand paddle version recently. I haven't run them but the look good and feel fairly soft. Measurements are a bit off so I can get a measure of them for you.

The ones from @mongoose1983 link?

I am interested in the sand paddle type ones as it’s hopefully going to be a bit of a beach runner mainly. 

Just a heads up, those tires are not the same inner diameter as the GF-01/WW2 wheels. They work on wheels they ship with, but are *very* loose on the GF-01/WW2 wheels.

• Thanks 1

I bought the block-style ones on the far right in the above ad.

IMG_20190608_100629.jpg.98d59ba07e14e512437160c06c8cff13.jpg

Here it is side by side with a stock GF-01 (same as WW2 rear) wheel.

IMG_20190608_100622.jpg.cb2eb1fe48afd5c95e241b9ad0e3f4a5.jpg

Inner channel where the rubber of the wheel is held is 7-8mm difference in diameter.

IMG_20190608_100748.jpg.b7a076ed4018da8413dc42a80fdcbe02.jpgIMG_20190608_100806.jpg.6de29ef169f6051480009373870fe0ac.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, isomer1 said:

Just a heads up, those tires are not the same inner diameter as the GF-01/WW2 wheels. They work on wheels they ship with, but are *very* loose on the GF-01/WW2 wheels.

Brilliant. Thanks for the heads up. That rules them out then as the wheels are a ‘must’. 

Just need to decide then. Standard WW tyres or the twice as expensive ‘spike’ ones. 

Thanks for the info on wheel sizes! This saved me from making a BIG mistake buying them.