Sign in to follow this  
dave.723

Monster Racer: Gearbox (another one)

Hello Everyone,

I got a HiLux and KC Monster Racer on the way - so there is time to read in to the topic.

The car was a runner and the gear box has the metal idle gear holder and CVDs.

I read a lot about gearbox fixes. (Stealth, Traxxas, Avante, A&L, Thorps, ...) But most of the fixes are older and availability and pricing has changed meanwhile. But this year the super astute arrived. And I ask myself if there are new options with it. Like ...

will a gear set fit ? with diff ?

will the housing fit ?

I plan running it with a silver can and see how it handles the weight of the car. Then probably go to a GT tuned or 3KV BS set. Let's see.

Thanks

Dave

The entire Super Astute gearbox will fit your Monster Racer. You can even swap over the metal idler gear holder. If you're buying individual pieces, you must buy all the internals (all the gears, etc.) as the Super Astute gears are a different pitch than the Monster Racers's. The empty housings, I believe, are the same. Speaking of housings, if you buy a complete Super Astute gearbox take note of the two upper mounting lugs molded into the housing. For some reason, Tamiya ground off one of these mounting lugs (which are used to tie the housing to the King Cab and Monster Racer chassis). Some later spares reportedly have both lugs intact. I have no idea why Tamiya ground the lug off the earlier releases. Hope this helps.

Surely there's a Chinese model out there with something suitable? There's some good strong trannies out there that only cost a pittance on Aliexpress. Most of them are good because they copy older designs lol 

‘good strong trannies’ :lol: must be a few out there 

• Haha 2

Sorry..... gearbox housings are not the same.  The "A" Parts tree for the Super Astute is different.  The SA housing has bearing carriers and an extra part "A3" that houses the back bearing for the slipper shaft as opposed to a fixed layshaft on the Astute / King Cab gearbox.

See pg 9 of the manual :

https://d1hu0eys0tj9xi.cloudfront.net/media/files/47381ml-981-bb2b.pdf

@Saito2 nailed it with his first call.... The entire Super Astute gearbox will fit.

33 minutes ago, Thommo said:

Sorry..... gearbox housings are not the same.

So, for future reference on my part, the actual gearbox housing, listed as part A4 in both the current Super Astute manual and the old King Cab manual are not the same? I always thought the bare housings themselves were the same part. I completely agree the A parts trees are different between the two kits.

14 hours ago, Thommo said:

Sorry..... gearbox housings are not the same. 

Honestly curious about this. I have a stash of Madcap/King Cab gearbox housings I intended to use as spares should I need to replace my Super Astute's housing at some point.

On 6/8/2019 at 9:16 PM, nowinaminute said:

Surely there's a Chinese model out there with something suitable? There's some good strong trannies out there that only cost a pittance on Aliexpress. Most of them are good because they copy older designs lol 

thanks everyone !! and I am definitely going to search the chinese market. thanks for this satisfying task. What could be better than searching for new bits and pieces to advance your RC.