Sign in to follow this  
Jpmcdo

Shoe goo and magnets

Hi,

I’m new to building cars and just completed a Tamiya defender 90.  Instead of poking holes in the body for the mounting posts, I glued magnets on the body using shoe goo and trimmed the plastic mounts so I could use magnetic mounts on the posts.  I thought I had the position nailed on the body magnet location but didn’t.

So now the body is tilted back instead of level.  Can I peal the magnets off without hurting the paint and re-glue them?

Thanks

I suspect pealing the magnets off will take paint. I am not familiar with the Defender, but is it possible to replace the plastic mounts and re trim them to suit?

If you have some scrap lexan you could use that to test. Paint, glue on magnet and peal off.

Thanks Lefty,

whats happening is the mounts are being pulled forward to connect with the magnets.  I have adjusted it and it’s better, but I thought if I could peel them off and reset them easily would do that.  I’ll try the scrap and test method, but with my luck, that will work and when I try on the model it will peel paint.

bu now you made me think.  I used the rear most mounting location on the rear posts.  I think if I move them forward, which is an option, that will solve my problem.

Thanks

What paint?

if it's Tamiya PS not much dissolves that, you can use some solvent mineral turps to rehydrate ShoeGoo and the PS won't be bothered