rwallace612

stadium Blitzer loud transmission

I recently picked up an original stadium Blitzer in great condition. I took apart the transmission and it all looked great. so I just swapped the plastic bushings with ball bearings, re-greased the diff gears, and outer gears. it all works fine and is smooth. but it makes an awful knocking / rattling sound and I see some wobble on the axles. Any advice? all of the parts look fine. maybe I added too much grease?? Here is a video of it https://photos.app.goo.gl/F67zbf5zTYL8jTW46

Dog bone rattle?  What happens when you remove the dog bones and run the transmission without them?  Also, the video shows the wheels have some runout, but what about the tips of the axle stubs themselves; do they run true?

without the dog bones the same noise occurs. The drivers side axel stub seems slightly thicker than the passenger side. I had a bitch of a time fitting it into a bearing. At quick glance they looked true. I'll double check. 

How's your motor pinion?  Is it the original aluminum one?  If so, how do the teeth look?  The typical kit aluminum pinions can wear, and the teeth take on a sawtooth shape leading to some extra noise from the gearbox.  Steel pinions are available and wear a lot better over time.  Also double-check your pinion tooth count vs. motor mounting holes.

If the axle stubs seem to be running true then your wheels might be slightly warped; that's not all that unusual especially on a used model.  I wouldn't worry about it much.

I'd be inclined to pull the gearbox apart and double check the bearings. Make sure the axle bearings are the same size (1150) and lubed up with some light oil. I am thinking it may be the bearings for the axle stubs are worm on the inside or not the right size. The noise sounds like metal on metal. Also worth checking the gear cases to make sure the bearing holes are not worn/out of round.

Speedy is on the money with the pinion, once the aluminum ones wear the teeth get sharp and can also chew up the spur gear. While you are there, pull the motor and spin the axle stubs by hand. Hold one in place, spin the other, then swap over. This will ensure the diff is working properly and you might be able to feel if there is any grittiness/noise in the drive train.

Thanks for the advice guys! so I tore it all down. found no issues. diff is smooth but a little stiff, which is how I like it. I did notice that I forgot to replace the bushings on the spur, so I put new ball bearings in there. on this tranny, there's no spot for bearings where the axles slide in.. I was thinking that also.. I'm gonna try to buy a new pinion and spur. I tried another new pinion I had but I'm not 100% sure if it's actually 18t or 17... I believe stock pinion should be 18t 32p right? 

I've had Traxxas steel pinions be noisy in a Blitzer and Robinson Racing ones be quieter, both 32 pitch. Also pay attention to pinion depth on the motor shaft. The Blitzer spur gear, IIRC, has a ridge or "wall" around the back of the circumference. The teeth aren't "cut" all the way through, so to speak. If the pinion is installed too far out on the motor shaft (too "deep") it can bind on the ridge. 

• Like 1

My Blitzer Beetle has been loud since the day I first ran it. I have a Robinson Racing 13 tooth 32p pinion as well. Countless hours run and no issues. I do wish it was quiet though.

• Thanks 1

Yep. Like a metallic rattling that is apart from the normal spur gear whine. I have tried everything to solve it. I just ignore it now.

• Thanks 1

I finished putting her back together. She looks awesome with the trencher tires and rpm wheels, if I do say so myself. she drives great except for the insane steering slop. she could probably use a new servo. 

20190611_150745.jpg

• Like 3

Nice. Those tire are sweet.

What are you running for a servo saver? The stock ones can be sloppy.

thank you. I ordered these for my lunchbox but the tires are way too narrow for it. so I am repurposing them on this truck 

So are you eliminating the servo saver completely? I would suggest a Kimbrough medium or a Tamiya high torque servo saver.

41 minutes ago, Otis311 said:

So are you eliminating the servo saver completely? I would suggest a Kimbrough medium or a Tamiya high torque servo saver.

Yeah the servo saver that comes with this truck is pretty terrible.. I'll look into kimbrough, thanks!

On 6/11/2019 at 3:19 PM, rwallace612 said:

I finished putting her back together. She looks awesome with the trencher tires and rpm wheels, if I do say so myself. she drives great except for the insane steering slop. she could probably use a new servo. 

20190611_150745.jpg

Nice paint job and how have those tires held up for you?

Somebody used to sell transparent covers on eBay - which are really useful for checking the pinion mesh. 

image.png.10416e43191c302024c55e0f116b57fb.png

Been looking, but I can't see any - you could probably make one yourself pretty easily though.

• Like 1