Sign in to follow this  
Terz1

ORV diff fix - potential problem

Hi guys. I found this youtube of a simple fix for the orv diff. When I recently refurbished a mud blaster I put a shim in as they do in the video. I also put bearings throughout. A while later I bought a re-re monster beetle and this has plastic bushings throughout. I found that when rotating the back wheels the mud blaster I put the shim in had more resistance even though it had bearings than the shimless monster beetle with bushings. Has anyone done this and did they experience the same thing?

It looks like the trade off making by the gearbox less prone to failing by fitting shims is more resistance and more strain on the motor?

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

This seems like the ultimate solution:  Oldfrogshot's Screw Mod

Totally agree. With the screw, you have less resistance as the diff can spin freely in the bearings. With shims, you preload the ball bearings and get more friction. With bushings it´s even worse. 

• Like 1

I shimmed the diff in a rere Monster Beetle and it lasted a while and then the problem returned. This was just running a silvercan and often with EPA turned down too. The MIP diff works a treat though

• Like 1

Thanks for showing the screw mod :). I think I will remove the shim and try the screw mod. Ideally I'd get the MIP diff but it's not cheap especially since I've got three of these, the Blackfoot, Mud blaster and the Monster beetle. I think in time I probably will do them all, but one at a time.

I like the screw mod. You must have to grease the head of the screw well so it can spin relatively freely when the diff works.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:06 PM, Otis311 said:

I like the screw mod. You must have to grease the head of the screw well so it can spin relatively freely when the diff works.

And use Loctite for the screw end. Otherwise it can unlock itself over time...