bjorklo

Kyosho Optima Mid Custom

OptimaMidCustomLogo_zps9jdntrcs.png

Here we go again…. 
So I just sold my Optima Mid, and instantly regretted selling it. To my luck a month or so ago I stumbled upon a guy how was selling an Mid, but at that time I dropped buying it. So I contacted the guy and asked if he still had it and if he still was going to sell it. To my luck he did have it and he was actually coming to my neighborhood the very same day. So just 3 hours later I had a “new” Mid, and about 12h after selling the previous one. :)

This restoration will not be that much different than the other one I did, but since the chassis is build from slightly different parts it will not be that much polished alu. The aluminium is also kind of darkened so not sure how much I can polish it without removing that effect.

Since this is a lwb (long wheel base) I’m not 100% sure I will get the repro body’s from the Optima Mid, Turbo Optima Mid and Optima Mid SE to fit. I really hope so, since I think that one is the most nicest looking body in the Optima Mid series. Worst case scenario I will have to try and strip the paint of the original body that came with the car and see how that goes. I have ordered also the Optima Mid Custom body that I also will do, just to have the possibility to change body’s as it suits me.

Well enough talk here is some pictures of the car and all the stuff I got with in the deal. also a picture to compare the wheel base with the swb.

Screenshot_20190609_102850_zpsofcahqbt.j
IMG_20190609_100435_zpsr3rzi9fi.jpg
IMG_20190609_122016_zps27p8ggck.jpg
IMG_20190609_122020_zpszgz1iodl.jpg
IMG_20190609_122025_zps3gwl1nod.jpg
IMG_20190609_110014_zps4pudbdwp.jpg

To my luck there was a guy 5 min from me selling the Optima Mid white wheels at a reasonable price.

IMG_20190609_215537_zpsuz6s0a2e.jpg
  • Like 4

It's crying out for a carbon chassis, top deck and shock towers (repro), a modern slipper (seen slipper shafts for sale using associated slipper parts), and a single turn brushless motor 😁

(Carbon chassis and top deck next on my wish list....🙄

Love the paddles btw, are you keeping them? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

It's crying out for a carbon chassis, top deck and shock towers (repro), a modern slipper (seen slipper shafts for sale using associated slipper parts), and a single turn brushless motor 😁

(Carbon chassis and top deck next on my wish list....🙄

Love the paddles btw, are you keeping them? 

I do see your point about carbon, but I will not be making carbon parts for this one to start with. First I'm gonna get it as good as I can using the parts it got (except) parts that needs to be changed.  The slipper clutch sounds interesting, but again if the standard gears is ok I will use it. But I will for sure look into the slipper clutch at a later point. If you have a link where I can read about this please share it. 

The paddles I will keep, but not on the wheels. I will most likely be using Egress tires. But I might be getting the Marwan replica tires, just to get the (almost) correct writing on the tires when I do the white lettering. 

Please feel free to share a picture of your car or a link to it :)

1 hour ago, bjorklo said:

But I will for sure look into the slipper clutch at a later point. If you have a link where I can read about this please share it. 

It's on the vintage kyosho page on facebook (Supprised you've not seen it 👀), looking again, it's using kyosho RB6 parts, 

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTY4MDExNjE1NTpWSzoyMDMwNDY5NTU3MDE1MDA5 

Please feel free to share a picture of your car or a link to it :)

Did a build thread on here (although,  I don't know why someone else's mid come up in that photo!?! I wouldn't dream of putting 2.2" on.....😏

The paddles I will keep

No bother, I've a lazer 2000 that's not worth much, and I'm looking for some inspiration.🤔

On 6/15/2019 at 11:20 AM, Wooders28 said:

It's on the vintage kyosho page on facebook (Supprised you've not seen it 👀), looking again, it's using kyosho RB6 parts, 

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTY4MDExNjE1NTpWSzoyMDMwNDY5NTU3MDE1MDA5 

Did a build thread on here (although,  I don't know why someone else's mid come up in that photo!?! I wouldn't dream of putting 2.2" on.....😏

No bother, I've a lazer 2000 that's not worth much, and I'm looking for some inspiration.🤔

hmmm, no I hadn't seen the slipper clutch rebuild on FB... didn't seem to be to much of a work to make one, so i need to consider it. 

Your car is very nice. loved your build thread :)

Looking forward to see what you do with the Lazer 2000...  I have recently started looking for a ZX-R but I guess my ZX will have to do. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bjorklo said:

didn't seem to be to much of a work to make one, 

Depends what tools you have at your disposal, buying that shaft and then the parts would be the easy way to fit a slipper, mine was £15, but needed to weld the end of the shaft, machine it down etc.

Your car is very nice. loved your build thread :)

Cheers! 👍

It's not finished yet, would like to get a carbon chassis and top deck (plus fit the carbon shock towers i have got!) ,new servo (I've a brushless servo ready to go in, ...🙄), try and increase the steering angle, roll bars and get it set up on carpet so I can go around the club track without creeping around corners and still almost rolling! (Some tips in the build thread from members, it's on the list...)

Looking forward to see what you do with the Lazer 2000... 

Not sure what to do Tbh,  it sold for £45 on eBay, but hassle with a none payer, and realising how much eBay and PayPal take, kind of puts in in the realms of part it for spares, or make a wee project out of it, Rat Rod mud bogger or rally cross car 🤷‍♂️ 

(Its on the list....)

18 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Depends what tools you have at your disposal, buying that shaft and then the parts would be the easy way to fit a slipper, mine was £15, but needed to weld the end of the shaft, machine it down etc.

Cheers! 👍

It's not finished yet, would like to get a carbon chassis and top deck (plus fit the carbon shock towers i have got!) ,new servo (I've a brushless servo ready to go in, ...🙄), try and increase the steering angle, roll bars and get it set up on carpet so I can go around the club track without creeping around corners and still almost rolling! (Some tips in the build thread from members, it's on the list...)

Not sure what to do Tbh,  it sold for £45 on eBay, but hassle with a none payer, and realising how much eBay and PayPal take, kind of puts in in the realms of part it for spares, or make a wee project out of it, Rat Rod mud bogger or rally cross car 🤷‍♂️ 

(Its on the list....)

Oh, so you had to weld and machine it down.. ok, that kind of tools I don't have at my disposal right now.. Just to check if I understood you correct. you didn't get the shaft and the parts, you got something else, or? 

It will look very nice with a carbon top and chassis and the shock towers.. hmm, maybe I need to reconsider, hehe... But I will anyway fix the original parts as good as possible, if I decide to make all the parts in CF. The steering angel might be a bigger challenge, I think. Maybe you could do like i did on my Egress BS, and increase ackerman, that would help. 

I vote to make a Rally cross car of the Lazer 2000 :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bjorklo said:

Just to check if I understood you correct. you didn't get the shaft and the parts, you got something else, or?

No, I didn't buy that shaft, I bought a 2nd hand Schumacher K2 complete slipper and made it fit.

15 hours ago, bjorklo said:

I vote to make a Rally cross car of the Lazer 2000 :) 

Another for the project pile....😂😂

• Like 1