cliffw0970

What's next?

Hi All, 

I just built my first buggy (Hornet) and wondering where to go after I finish painting / decals etc.

The Hornet was a nostalgia purchase as my brother had one in the 80's. I used to drool over the Manta Ray in 'Beatties' toy shop, but my £5 pocket Money just wasn't cutting it! I was thinking of picking one up this weekend.

So, my question is: Do I buy a Manta Ray next? or should my nostalgia fix be satisfied with the Hornet and move on to something a bit more modern? ( I like buggy's ). And if something more modern, what?

My budget would be around £150 for the original kit and a bit more for ESC, batteries, receiver, bearings, new motor if needed etc.

Stick with Manta Ray / something new?

Cheers,

Welcome to the slippery slope of n+1 where n is the current number of models you have and the +1 the ones you need or want! 

I started exactly the same way, had a Hornet then an Optima Mid in my early teens then returned to this after many years with a DT-03 to see how much its changed... I have a fair few now including a re release Hornet which I'll never get rid of.. My suggestion is to scratch the Manta Ray itch as it'll be far more capable and a build you'd not have done. Then get a Hornet later as you'll be hooked! Be sure as to get a radio set that'll bind to multiple models as buying just a reciever will work out way cheaper. 

There's an amazing wealth of knowledge on here so ask away! 

Hi!

I would buy the Manta Ray. I don't really like the new Tamiya Buggy line-up, except of the Dual Ridge with is a modern version of the Manta Ray in my eyes. In the end it's up to what you like and what you want to to with it. If you just want to drive it for fun it makes no difference if you've got a modern or an old school buggy.

1 hour ago, Grotty Otty said:

Welcome to the slippery slope of n+1 where n is the current number of models you have and the +1 the ones you need or want! 

I started exactly the same way, had a Hornet then an Optima Mid in my early teens then returned to this after many years with a DT-03 to see how much its changed... I have a fair few now including a re release Hornet which I'll never get rid of.. My suggestion is to scratch the Manta Ray itch as it'll be far more capable and a build you'd not have done. Then get a Hornet later as you'll be hooked! Be sure as to get a radio set that'll bind to multiple models as buying just a reciever will work out way cheaper. 

There's an amazing wealth of knowledge on here so ask away! 

Thanks Grotty, 

Appreciate your reply and recommendations. If it ever stops raining I will get out to have a good play with the Hornet!

Out of interest, what radio would you recommend as a starter? I got a cheap Absima SR2S 2 Channel bundled with the Hornet, guessing that wont do the job then? 

Thanks, 

• Like 1

well like you my first rc was a hornet and as it happens my second was a manta-ray. know if thats what you used to droll over in beatties then go and fulfill your dream and buy the manta-ray it was a great rc then and it will be a great rc know i actually brought the re-re last year aswell know for what it costs buy it 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cliffw0970 said:

Thanks Grotty, 

Appreciate your reply and recommendations. If it ever stops raining I will get out to have a good play with the Hornet!

Out of interest, what radio would you recommend as a starter? I got a cheap Absima SR2S 2 Channel bundled with the Hornet, guessing that wont do the job then? 

Thanks, 

I don't know that radio I'm afraid but Absima have a good reputation. I originally had a Core Code stick Radio which had a multiple model ability but these got discontinued sadly. I now use a Spektrum Dx5c which is steerwheel and hugely programmable but the recievers aren't the cheapest, but I still think its excellent value for money. There's a few on here that use flysky (which are even cheaper) to good effect who may be able to chip in. 

Re read you post and now understand you already have the Hornet! 

If you've friends or kids etc it'd be good to keep the Hornet with the basic Absima (Hornet isn't particularly complicated after all) and then the following bunch with whatever you choose next. Two people can then run the cars at once... 

Get the Manta Ray. It's better than the equivalent price modern buggies based on the TT02B chassis. Take hop ups nicely and there is loads of information on here about. For radio i would get a Flysky GT3C because they can run a few different receivers and the receivers are cheap so more cars added to the fleet is less expensive. The manta ray should come with a tamiya tble02s esc. These are nice and run brushless too. Get something like a 13.5/3000-3300kv sensored brushless motor to wire up to it and that will be nice. Get bearings to replace plastic bushings, and if you can find one the manta ray hop up motor plate and prop shaft set will help bullet proof the drivetrain, and a steel 21t pinion (0.6 module) will finish that off. There is loads you can do after that, all the way up to Top Force carbon chassis and all sorts. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Grotty Otty said:

I don't know that radio I'm afraid but Absima have a good reputation. I originally had a Core Code stick Radio which had a multiple model ability but these got discontinued sadly. I now use a Spektrum Dx5c which is steerwheel and hugely programmable but the recievers aren't the cheapest, but I still think its excellent value for money. There's a few on here that use flysky (which are even cheaper) to good effect who may be able to chip in. 

Re read you post and now understand you already have the Hornet! 

If you've friends or kids etc it'd be good to keep the Hornet with the basic Absima (Hornet isn't particularly complicated after all) and then the following bunch with whatever you choose next. Two people can then run the cars at once... 

I like that idea about leaving the Hornet separate and buying a controller that future proofs for anything new.

Decided on the Manta Ray based on the replies :-)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Get the Manta Ray. It's better than the equivalent price modern buggies based on the TT02B chassis. Take hop ups nicely and there is loads of information on here about. For radio i would get a Flysky GT3C because they can run a few different receivers and the receivers are cheap so more cars added to the fleet is less expensive. The manta ray should come with a tamiya tble02s esc. These are nice and run brushless too. Get something like a 13.5/3000-3300kv sensored brushless motor to wire up to it and that will be nice. Get bearings to replace plastic bushings, and if you can find one the manta ray hop up motor plate and prop shaft set will help bullet proof the drivetrain, and a steel 21t pinion (0.6 module) will finish that off. There is loads you can do after that, all the way up to Top Force carbon chassis and all sorts. 

Appreciate that, Manta Ray it is. I had read about hop ups for it, its nice to have them all in one place on this thread to come back to.

In regards controllers. I'm really not a fan of the steer-wheel type, never really got the feel for them. What would you recommend in the stick controller camp? 

Cheers,

Everyone is going to have a different opinion as each RC car will inspire a different feeling in everyone.  For me, within the budget you are looking I would consider:

• Novafox
  • Stadium Blitzer

However, another option is to spend a little more and pick up a Super Astute (which would be my recommendation).

48 minutes ago, cliffw0970 said:

Appreciate that, Manta Ray it is. I had read about hop ups for it, its nice to have them all in one place on this thread to come back to.

In regards controllers. I'm really not a fan of the steer-wheel type, never really got the feel for them. What would you recommend in the stick controller camp? 

Cheers,

Get the flysky fsi6. The throttle doesnt self centre as standard though so you either need to buy a kit (£4 but from hong kong) or do what i did and take the spring off the right hand stick (steering still self centres).

20 model memory, loads of adjustments, under £40 to buy, feels quite decent, receivers are £5!

Even though they feel very uncomfortable at first, and even at second, I would nonetheless recommend persevering with a wheel radio. There are far more options if you can train yourself to use a wheel, better radios at lower prices, etc. It will take some practice but at the end of the day there is no performance difference between the two styles. Top-level races feature both radio types on the podium.

Good move gettijg the Manta Ray- they are getting hard to find down here so if you don't you may miss out. It will be about the most capable Tamiya buggy around too, unless you find one of their race kits or a DB01 which won't fir your budget. Unfortunately to go for a true modern buggy to see what they're like you will need to look outside of Tamiya, if you do then look for a recently superseded model and buy the older one on sale (unless you're racing then go nuts).

I agree with @TurnipJF about persevering with a wheel radio. They are a lot easier to find and give you a lot more options. If you do go with stick the Flysky FS i6 is a good option, I have 1 for a yacht and its also running a home built tank, with an excavator probably the next on the list. Otherwise, like everything you get what you pay for. I have a bunch of Flysky, Sanwa and Futaba. The sanwa and futaba is definitely the nicest but they are pricey, especially when Flysky does the job. Check places like banggood.com and aliexpress for them though, they are cheaper than shops. Also look at the detail, some of them take 8 AA batteries still, avoid them theyre heavy and will get expenisve. Others come with a lipo which makes life much easier 

If you're mostly wanting to drive it then perhaps there's something to be said for a modern chassis instead. But if it's the nostalgia, fun of the build, and reliving old memories then I'd say definitely get the Manta Ray! The same logic is why, after I fixed up my old Fox, I ended up with a re-release Wild One, and then a re-release Hotshot!

I've got the SR2S - I've never used a wheel and was happy with sticks. I did buy a second one when I got the Hotshot so that I could run 2 at once if I ever wanted, but that Absima is actually made by FlySky and you can get cheap receivers that work with it perfectly.

For my third build (a Honda City Turbo - 80s body, more recent chassis) I just bought an extra receiver to bind to one of the SR2Ss. Yes the SR2S uses 8 AA batteries unlike some which are 4, but mine are on rechargeable NimH, so that's not a big expense.

This receiver works I believe:

eBay FlySky receiver

Go the Manta Ray and get the nostalgia box ticked. I used to drool over the Hornet and Frog when I was a lad, but was never allowed to get one. Later on in adult life I wandered into the LHS to get a Hornet, but come home with a Super Hornet,. Not long after I got a Dirt Thrasher. Then in 2005 when the Frog was re-released I had one on order quick smart. That slippery slope has now accounted for 27 cars hanging on the wall.

From memory the only thing to be conscious of in the Manta Ray/Dirt Thrasher chassis it the bolt mod for the rear gearbox as the screws tends to strip out. When this happens there is nothing to keep the idler gear in place.

Step 6 here https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/58360mantaray.pdf  

The fix is to drill the hole out so a 3mm bolt will fit through and used a lock nut.

8 hours ago, LeftyAl said:

Go the Manta Ray and get the nostalgia box ticked. I used to drool over the Hornet and Frog when I was a lad, but was never allowed to get one. Later on in adult life I wandered into the LHS to get a Hornet, but come home with a Super Hornet,. Not long after I got a Dirt Thrasher. Then in 2005 when the Frog was re-released I had one on order quick smart. That slippery slope has now accounted for 27 cars hanging on the wall.

From memory the only thing to be conscious of in the Manta Ray/Dirt Thrasher chassis it the bolt mod for the rear gearbox as the screws tends to strip out. When this happens there is nothing to keep the idler gear in place.

Step 6 here https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/58360mantaray.pdf  

The fix is to drill the hole out so a 3mm bolt will fit through and used a lock nut.

Thanks, I will bear the gearbox tip in mind during the build.

Just skype'd my wife (we don't talk anymore, skype is so much better, you cant hear the disappointment in their voice )  your comment about 27 cars. She's actually happy she now has ideas for Xmas and Birthdays :-)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cliffw0970 said:

Stick with Manta Ray / something new?

I think with, only, a £150 budget,  you're looking at a Manta Ray.

Depends on what you are classing as new right enough, but for something new (none tamiya, as I don't think there's any new chassis out atm?) you're looking at double that for a 2wd or a bit over that for a 4wd, even in the kyosho re release range. 😳

7 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I think with, only, a £150 budget,  you're looking at a Manta Ray.

Depends on what you are classing as new right enough, but for something new (none tamiya, as I don't think there's any new chassis out atm?) you're looking at double that for a 2wd or a bit over that for a 4wd, even in the kyosho re release range. 😳

My budget for the third car will be more.

I hadn't really considered moving away from Tamiya, perhaps i'm a fan boy / shortsighted and I will get something different for the third. Convinced the Manta Ray and and Hornet will scratch the nostalgia itch, I can move on from there.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, AJB123 said:

If you're mostly wanting to drive it then perhaps there's something to be said for a modern chassis instead. But if it's the nostalgia, fun of the build, and reliving old memories then I'd say definitely get the Manta Ray! The same logic is why, after I fixed up my old Fox, I ended up with a re-release Wild One, and then a re-release Hotshot!

I've got the SR2S - I've never used a wheel and was happy with sticks. I did buy a second one when I got the Hotshot so that I could run 2 at once if I ever wanted, but that Absima is actually made by FlySky and you can get cheap receivers that work with it perfectly.

For my third build (a Honda City Turbo - 80s body, more recent chassis) I just bought an extra receiver to bind to one of the SR2Ss. Yes the SR2S uses 8 AA batteries unlike some which are 4, but mine are on rechargeable NimH, so that's not a big expense.

This receiver works I believe:

eBay FlySky receiver

I think I will stay with sticks, not like i'm going to be racing them, its just a plod around a car park or beach etc and wait for my boys to be old enough to get involved.

13 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Good move gettijg the Manta Ray- they are getting hard to find down here so if you don't you may miss out. It will be about the most capable Tamiya buggy around too, unless you find one of their race kits or a DB01 which won't fir your budget. Unfortunately to go for a true modern buggy to see what they're like you will need to look outside of Tamiya, if you do then look for a recently superseded model and buy the older one on sale (unless you're racing then go nuts).

I agree with @TurnipJF about persevering with a wheel radio. They are a lot easier to find and give you a lot more options. If you do go with stick the Flysky FS i6 is a good option, I have 1 for a yacht and its also running a home built tank, with an excavator probably the next on the list. Otherwise, like everything you get what you pay for. I have a bunch of Flysky, Sanwa and Futaba. The sanwa and futaba is definitely the nicest but they are pricey, especially when Flysky does the job. Check places like banggood.com and aliexpress for them though, they are cheaper than shops. Also look at the detail, some of them take 8 AA batteries still, avoid them theyre heavy and will get expenisve. Others come with a lipo which makes life much easier 

My Cheap SRS2 has a left throttle however the Flysky FS i6 appears to be right hand throttle, does that confuse things? I could just use the FS i6 for all my cars and save the SRS2 for guests or the kids i suppose, I don't really need to touch it.

47 minutes ago, cliffw0970 said:

My Cheap SRS2 has a left throttle however the Flysky FS i6 appears to be right hand throttle, does that confuse things? I could just use the FS i6 for all my cars and save the SRS2 for guests or the kids i suppose, I don't really need to touch it.

The sticks on the FS i6 move in both directions, so when they say right hand throttle they actually mean there is no return spring on the right stick to centre it. I have the left throttle as it is a for a yacht and i use the left stick to set the sail position, and the right stick for the rudder.

51 minutes ago, cliffw0970 said:

I think I will stay with sticks, not like i'm going to be racing them, its just a plod around a car park or beach etc and wait for my boys to be old enough to get involved.

This makes me laugh because I wasn't going to race either. Now I have 2 onroad, 2 10th scale offroad with a new kit to pick up this week and an 8th scale nitro buggy. Oh and my 6yo has a 4wd race buggy too. Thats just race cars, but race cars are a different line item for me so the budget is more generous for them...

• Haha 2

Welcome to the club.  I have 2 manta rays and a top force.  They are fantastic.  Make sure after bearings you buy the ta02 plastic hear set and replace the alloy gears in the rear gearbox.  Really don't know why tamiya still use these as they are sh!t soft and ruin the gear box.  The gear set is fairly cheap and makes a huge difference.

1 hour ago, cliffw0970 said:

I think I will stay with sticks, not like i'm going to be racing them,

Nothing up with racing with sticks!

Although when you look down the rostrum, it seems to be the more, experienced,  guys that have the proper controllers, all the kids use wheel....😬

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Oh and my 6yo has a 4wd race buggy too.

They learn real quick, too quick! 

The 6yr old son of one of the guys that tried his hand is now 8, and is regularly posting the fastest lap at the club, standing on the top step of the podium and on the radar for a team drive! So watch your back!?! 😬😂

• Haha 1