cliffw0970

What's next?

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

They learn real quick, too quick! 

The 6yr old son of one of the guys that tried his hand is now 8, and is regularly posting the fastest lap at the club, standing on the top step of the podium and on the radar for a team drive! So watch your back!?! 😬😂

My four year old calls it "daddy's new car that flips", oops. 

Cant wait to get them into it, proper father son stuff that!

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, cliffw0970 said:

Cant wait to get them into it, proper father son stuff that!

Absolutely!

I let my 4 yr old daughter drive my Laydown in the garden, if she doesn't crash, I turn the speed up a bit, she's up to 40% !! 😎

I second, third, and fourth everybody.  Get something you always wanted.  If you don't, you'd still want it. (or get something else, so you'd have to come back to Manta Ray)  

Manta Ray is an old design, but I think it's still a very capable one.  As per @ThunderDragonCy's recommendation, Tamiya sells a hard shaft and motor mount combination (product number 47373: about $25). That could be a convenient choice. I only got a motor mount from a 3rd party. 

As for the shaft, I kinda like the slight give, so I kept the "soft" wire shaft.  In my mind, the give is like a cheap (and inefficient) center differential.  But if you keep it, make sure it turns freely.  The wire shaft is not too long, but it binds a bit.  Which makes the shaft wobble as it turns.  I carved the receptacles on both ends, just a bit.  The receptacles are shaped like chevrons <     > flaring out a bit.  But the ends of the wire shaft is round, so it kinda looks like this <o--------o>.  The chevrons had to be carved and widened where it touched the wire loops; like 0.5mm on each side, so they would look more like [o--------o].  It turns freely now without binding.  All you need is an x-acto knife and 5 minutes.  I realize that this probably doesn't make any sense before building it.  Just look out for the shaft binding.    

On hard landings, I am told that the plastic motor mount can break.  No worries, there are 2-3 different kinds of motor mounts on the market if that were to happen.  They cost only about $10 - $15.  

As other members have mentioned, bearings will make the the drive train last longer.  I usually spend about $8 and get 30 bearings.  Search for 5x11x4mm bearings, and 5x8x2.5mm bearings (Tamiya calls them 1150 and 850 bearings, respectively).  

• Like 3

Picked a Manta Ray up at the weekend. I will update this as I go, as planning something bit different in terms of colour etc.

Appreciate everyone's reply's 

• Like 2

On 6/12/2019 at 4:32 PM, graemevw said:

Get the flysky fsi6. The throttle doesnt self centre as standard though so you either need to buy a kit (£4 but from hong kong) or do what i did and take the spring off the right hand stick (steering still self centres).

20 model memory, loads of adjustments, under £40 to buy, feels quite decent, receivers are £5!

Hi Wooders,

Is this little lot what i need?

https://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-i6-2_4G-6CH-AFHDS-RC-Transmitter-With-FS-iA6-Receiver-p-922606.html?gmcCountry=GB&currency=GBP&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_union&utm_content=2zou&utm_campaign=ssc-gb-all-0601&ad_id=353020924955&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhJPw1N2C4wIVj0PTCh17Zgz_EAQYASABEgIXTPD_BwE&ID=42481&cur_warehouse=CN#jsReviewsWrap

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Standard-FS-GR3E-2-4Ghz-3-Channel-Receiver-for-Rc-Car-Auto-Boat/292465956173?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D58656%26meid%3De60ab68a0b874188b46562638e7bfd8a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D123703729191%26itm%3D292465956173&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-i6S-FS-i6S-Self-Centering-Throttle-Mode-Change-Part-p-1078595.html?gmcCountry=GB&currency=GBP&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgs&utm_content=frank&utm_campaign=pla-mix-gb-pc-0602&ad_id=352946012145&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI67KDyN-C4wIVQ7DtCh3JuABdEAQYASABEgLiyfD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

On 6/12/2019 at 5:38 PM, cliffw0970 said:

I like that idea about leaving the Hornet separate and buying a controller that future proofs for anything new.

Decided on the Manta Ray based on the replies :-)

DF01 is a capable chassis. Later morphed into the TopForce and Evo.

11 hours ago, cliffw0970 said:

The transmitter and throttle are correct. Although the gr3e receiver can be made to work with the i6 (i have) it took a lot of swearing, youtube and menu diving to change tje settings. The one that works straight away is the FS A3 receiver. When you bind it the red light doesn't go solid straight away it starts flashing more slowly. You then turn the receiver off and on again and the receiver light will be solid and you will be bound. 

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

The transmitter and throttle are correct. Although the gr3e receiver can be made to work with the i6 (i have) it took a lot of swearing, youtube and menu diving to change tje settings. The one that works straight away is the FS A3 receiver. When you bind it the red light doesn't go solid straight away it starts flashing more slowly. You then turn the receiver off and on again and the receiver light will be solid and you will be bound. 

Ive bound 4 gr3e to my fsi6, was easy, just have to change the rx setting.

You dont need to but the centering kit, you can swap the spring and bar over from the right hand stick. If you look in the electric sub forum you can see my post on locking the sticks too so it works like a 2 channel tx.

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

Never used any of the flysky stuff, does the self centering lock out sideways movement too? (if it's anything like the controller I've got for a helicopter, each stick is up and down, as well as side to side).

Your luck is as good as mine! The manta ray is tamico's offer of the week this week.....😳

No, it doesnt lock out the sideways movement, but 2 little screws will lock them out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, graemevw said:

No, it doesnt lock out the sideways movement, but 2 little screws will lock them out.

How do you go about that? are there female threads for the screws or are you doing a DIY? just about to press go on an order and was intrigued.

Cheers.

8 hours ago, graemevw said:

Ive bound 4 gr3e to my fsi6, was easy, just have to change the rx setting.

You dont need to but the centering kit, you can swap the spring and bar over from the right hand stick. If you look in the electric sub forum you can see my post on locking the sticks too so it works like a 2 channel tx.

Cool, bought the transmitter and receiver, will give your mod a god once received :-)