Doc Hollywood

Are there any meetings and events near Leicestershire

Hi all

I want to use my Tamiya cars more often but have no were to take them and use them apart from the back garden and occasionally on holiday. so wondering if there are any meets or events that happen around Leicester or near Leicestershire.  

thanks in advance

The BRCA website lists the club's it has registered, but these will generally be race clubs, maybe worth a visit to see if they have family nights or RWYB open nights.

If you want to run at any club, you'll need brca membership (although I think you can run 3 visits on a track before it's mandatory). Membership is £20 for the year (2019 - not 12 months) and is basically 3rd party insurance (on and off the track) 

https://www.brca.org/clubs 

The one I'm wanting to goto - Tamiya Junkies, which is, fairly close, to you, is at Robin hood Raceway in Yorkshire, and the event listed below your post! 👍

Thank you Wooders I had a look at BRCA and couldn't  find any clubs that seem to use Tamiya cars. The Tamiya Junkies sounds good but is too far to go :( 

I did wonder about organising a meet in Leicester but don't know how to organise one.

5 hours ago, Doc Hollywood said:

Thank you Wooders I had a look at BRCA and couldn't  find any clubs that seem to use Tamiya cars. The Tamiya Junkies sounds good but is too far to go :( 

None of the club's list what make of car they run (none i can find anyway), only the type, off road / on road , 10th scale etc, even Robin hood Raceway doesn't, and that's where the Tamiya Junkies run! 

I'd pop along to the one at Hinckley (if thats the closest?) Have a chat with people there. If you turned up at the Glasgow club with a lunchbox and wanted to run, as long as it wasn't a championship night, you could run it! (Although we've a spare club car, so of we knew you were coming, could race that) 

5 hours ago, Doc Hollywood said:

I did wonder about organising a meet in Leicester but don't know how to organise one.

Again, speak to your local club, if it's a permanent track, you may be able to rent the venue for a day/night, if there's a few of you, it shouldn't be too expensive.

Another option is to get a few people together , meet at a local park, skatepark, bmx track and just have a laugh! 😁

• Like 1

You are right in the thick of a number of good tracks there.  Shame you weren't asking a few years back then Iconic RC were arranging bashes.

On your doorstep you have Bingham Model Raceway, A1 Racing Club (Grantham), Broxtowe Model Car Club and (a little further afield) Robin Hood Raceway, all of which have current or former association with Iconic RC events and therefore might be interested in hosting an open bash.

Some of the best events I went to were the Iconic bashes at Broxtowe.  It has both tarmac and astro tracks.  Around 30 of us spending the entire day bashing our favourite Tamiyas around the tracks.  No racing, no timing, no organisation, unless you count the 20-or-so wheelie cars that had an untimed "race" on the tarmac track at lunchtime.

As Wooders has mentioned, Tamiya Junkies run a meeting once a month at Robin Hood Raceway.  They have the benefit of indoor and outdoor astro tracks so if it's raining you can get some respite in the barn.  It's a little too far for me (5 hours each way) so I've only been once, but I'd go every month if I lived in Leicester.  I absolutely love what those guys heve done.

If you want to arrange something yourself, get in touch with Broxtowe, A1 or Bingham and ask if they'd be willing to open the track for an open day.  They might dictate that every driver needs to have BRCA membership, or they might have an arrangement for people new to RC.  They might want money up-front for the track (which you would have to pay and try to recover by charging people who attend) or they might be willing to charge an entry fee directly to drivers,which would protect you in the event nobody shows.  I'm trying to arrange exactly this with a track down in the south-west.  You might PM Tamiya Monkey on here, I think he organises the Tamiya Junkies meets and was pretty helpful when I was asking him how he got it off the ground.

Also keep an eye on the Iconic RC calendar on Facebook.  It's racing rather than bashing, but it's all vintage and lots of it is close to your area.  The Iconic Revival (2 days of vintage buggy racing) takes place on the last weekend of July at Bingham Model Raceway - it's probably fully booked now but I'm sure you'd be welcome to come along to spectate.  Drop me a PM if you're attending.  The Banzai Challenge is in September, I think that's also at BMR, and is a vintage Japanese buggy event.  I'm not sure if entries are open yet so you might get a drive there if you have an eligible buggy and fancy some vintage racing fun.

:)

• Like 2

Hi Guys, just had a little time and thought i would pop over here to see whats happening, We are really fortunate to get Robin Hood Raceway as our regular meet, two tracks, electric, toilets and running water puts it in a the premier catagory to me, but it started quiet and we've steadily built it up and gained numbers. Now some of our members came far and wide for just a fun relaxing days running, nothing serious, but great to see so many vintage rc's running around together. Check us out on Facebook under Tamiya Junkies.