Grumpy pants

Wild Willy 2 Tips Please.

I’ll have a play around over the next evening or two and see if either swap fits,  how it looks and then work backwards from there. 

Looking forward to it! 

The Pumpkin fronts go on ok just in a trial fit, but the rear stub axle is too short for the rear wheels. 

I can’t be bothered to take the rear end a part so if the WW2 wheels fit my Lunchbox I’ll put Blitzer wheels on the WW and it can look like a Jago Jeep Kit car from back in the 80’s 😉 

https://www.troostwijkauctions.com/uk/classic-jeep/03-28635-32561-5636508/

Personally, I think these are great out of the box with bearings. Adding proper oil filled dampers will give you a better ride, but takes away from the charm of the bounciness of this super fun RC. I do run mine with a Sport Tuned for a little more wheelie poppin' ooomph and speed. I had a second one that was widened, had HPI wheels and tires, and oil filled CVAs. It lost all it's charm and fun and was just an ok driving top heavy crappy RC at that point. I want my WW to bounce and pop wheelies, not be some second rate, poor performing RC that's trying to be something it's not. I sold that one off in a hurry lol. Here's my opinion of perfection. ;)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Front bumper and wheels are on now, which means electrics and painting....

Sounds like you’re making good progress, I got sucked in & bought another one yesterday. I still haven’t a way to explain to the other half that I enjoy spending money buying battered Willys! 😂

• Haha 1

Painting's the fun bit ;) 

There's so much detail in the body and accessories, you can really go to town on it if you want to. Of course, the first time it topples over makes you want to cry a little bit...!

• Haha 2

Yes to progress slow but sure, it’ll have to go on the back burner now for a bit, work, holiday, studying, kids and so forth 😉

I’m looking forward to learning to solder once I settled on which motor and ESC to fit and then I’ll try my hand at a bit of detailing and tidying up of the current camouflage paint work. 

I prefer the matt olive army green look but I’ll work with the colour scheme it came with otherwise it will never get finished. 

• Like 1

Well it’s been a while, but tonight I took apart and reassembled some of the rolling chassis to adjust the steering as it was meandering off to the left.

Time to settle on a motor and ESC next, the plan was a Sports Tuned but I need to think tactically about which motor/ESC combos can go in the cars I have left to finish ideally using what I have in stock 👍

It’s been a while since I’ve looked at this modest project and I have come close to  selling it a couple of times.

But at the weekend I settled on drab olive and new stickers as the way forward, with a freshen up of the driver. 

It will still be a while before it gets a look in, but for now it’s staying 👍

• Like 1

So I have a serious question: If I already have the WR02 chassis (but the tractor version) is the WW2 really that different a car to drive?

(Bear in mind I also have the LB, Konghead and Dump Truck, so I'm trying to figure out if I should have 2 of the same chassis)

I have a WW2, LB and a Honda City Turbo at the moment.

The wheelie chassis’ are my favourite all round fun model. 

They all have different driving characteristics imo, but they are in pretty much the same when you get down to it.

My HTC is for shelf duty only, the LB is themed and lightly upgraded and WW2 is again is lightly upgraded and the one I will run the most.

I’ve had most of the wheelies multiple time’s and sold them all on, but these 3 I come back to time and time again.

I’ll buy 1 more LB to initially run bog standard and then to heavily modify. 

But if you like the look the look of the WW2 and you enjoy driving your LB & DT yes get one,  if you want a different driving experience I probably wouldn’t bother tbh.

I ordered a new decal sheet today.

Hopefully over the Christmas break I will be to finish the electrics 👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I have a WW2, LB and a Honda City Turbo at the moment.

The wheelie chassis’ are my favourite all round fun model. 

They all have different driving characteristics imo, but they are in pretty much the same when you get down to it.

My HTC is for shelf duty only, the LB is themed and lightly upgraded and WW2 is again is lightly upgraded and the one I will run the most.

I’ve had most of the wheelies multiple time’s and sold them all on, but these 3 I come back to time and time again.

I’ll buy 1 more LB to initially run bog standard and then to heavily modify. 

But if you like the look the look of the WW2 and you enjoy driving your LB & DT yes get one,  if you want a different driving experience I probably wouldn’t bother tbh.

I don't do shelf queens - I figure there are cheaper, more convenient ways to have more detailed models on my shelf - so if I got a WW2 I'd drive it, but it doesn't sound like it would be much different to my existing WR02.

3 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

I don't do shelf queens - I figure there are cheaper, more convenient ways to have more detailed models on my shelf - so if I got a WW2 I'd drive it, but it doesn't sound like it would be much different to my existing WR02.

It’s has character and of course Wild Wily driving it which makes it more interesting.

Highly customisable or just straight out fun in stock form.

I mostly do shelf queens with the very occasional run and a bit of tinkering as and when I can so it suits me to have similar chassis’.  

Super happy with colour choice now after some top tips and pics from TC members. 

I’ll offer the paint in the new year, then it is just time and warm weather needEd 👍

I finally did something useful today with this model, it took me all day with the faffing around 🙈.

But it now has a fresh silver can, Quicrun ESC and Flysky radio gear.

Now what I set out to fit, but I decided to start with a silver can and then maybe upgrade later on.

My Mtronics ESC burnt out so the QR was in stock and duly fitted.  

I do need to sort out the steering, but that will be for a another day.

The plan is to use as much of my ‘in stock’ ESC’s, motors etc before putting my hand in my pocket 👍

• Like 1

Actually had the chassis running out in the street today,.

1st time in nearly 2 years since I last ran a Tamiya 😳

Anyway the shake down went well, however the steering does need adjusting as it pulls to the left. 

The silver can felt enough today too, but I’m sure a mild motor upgrade will take place at a later date. 

Fully back to work tomorrow and back to studying at the weekend ☹️

Bought the paint today.

Hopefully I will get time to adjust the steering this weekend, then just paint when the warmer weather arrives. 

How did the paint job go?

I built a WW2 a couple of years ago - I thoroughly enjoyed the painting process. I went with the box art colour for the Jeep and did my own driver colour scheme.

All finished off with a coat of Dull Coat to give it that matt finish. 

IMG_9574

I am considering cutting off the L and dropping the body a bit - not sure if I really need to as I enjoy driving it as it is. I just like the look of the lowered body.  

• Like 2

I came to a full stop and I haven’t moved forward in months, between tax returns, studying and long hours at work I just haven’t got the time or capacity at the moment.

The tax is dealt with now, studying should  hopefully be tied off the end of this month and then I can have a bit of time to tinker 👍

• Like 1

I had one back in 03 or so. Ball bearings, short shocks to set it down, a Novak Super Rooster, and a Speed Gems 9x1. Put black HPI 5 spokes on it with Pro Line Speed Paws. I actually got pretty decent at getting it around the parking lot with minimal flippage.

Also, I replaced Willy with a wrestler action figure, and epoxied model house beer cans all in the floor, and one in his hand. Seemed appropriately inappropriate 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

P

36 minutes ago, toyolien said:

@Grumpy pants Did you ever finish your Willy?

No sadly like most of my Tamiya it got moved a long to a lucky TC member to finish and enjoy. 

Same chassis but different model, my Kumamon tractor has bearings and Lipo stick pack. To be it is brilliant as is 

I still have the stock pogo shocks and feel no need to upgrade to oil dampers.