Sign in to follow this  
Xetura

TT02RR Upper arm ball is loose

Hey all. New guy, here. I just got a TT02RR kit and I'm almost done assembling it. One problem, though: When you snap in the the ball pivots into the front arms for the knuckles, the top ones didn't really snap in like the bottom ones did. They went in much easier and the top arm easily pops off of the ball. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I ordered the metal upgrades, but they won't be here for a while. Any ideas? Cheers.

Taking a quick look at the directions I see that there is an addendum to that step in the build process. Looks like the upper arms need to be rotated 180 degrees. Did you build it accordingly?

• Thanks 1

Great catch! It's been so long since I've built a kit, I didn't think about checking for revisions in the instructions. I just flipped the arms and they aren't popping out anymore. The upper arm has some slop in it, but hopefully the metal balls fix or at least make it better. Thank you!

The metal balls upgrade should help a lot. The TT02RR upper arms are fairly fragile. If (when) they break, you can just screw a ball into the top of the upright, then get some aftermarket adjustable aluminium arms and put a regular ball joint end onto the turnbuckle instead of the huge TT02 style ball end. This works because the upper ball joint doesn't take the weight of the car so the upper ball needn't have such high retaining force. The bottom ball joint does, because that is where the shock is attached so you have to retain the big ball joint.

ejrCWgg.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nbTMM said:

The metal balls upgrade should help a lot. The TT02RR upper arms are fairly fragile. If (when) they break, you can just screw a ball into the top of the upright, then get some aftermarket adjustable aluminium arms and put a regular ball joint end onto the turnbuckle instead of the huge TT02 style ball end. This works because the upper ball joint doesn't take the weight of the car so the upper ball needn't have such high retaining force. The bottom ball joint does, because that is where the shock is attached so you have to retain the big ball joint. 

Good advice! I thought they looked kind of flimsy.

3 hours ago, Otis311 said:

Glad it was an easy fix :)

Me too! Thanks for helping out.

I was in the home stretch last night and thought I was going to finish her up and test drive today, but unfortunately one of the steering knuckles broke while I was attaching the body mounts. No idea how or why this happened other than maybe getting some brittle plastic in the knuckle, but I'm super bummed. I didn't over-tighten it or anything, ugg. I ordered aluminum knuckles, but that won't be until the end of next week. :( 

JZvKayB.jpg

QvKo1d9.jpg

KYRjgdN.jpg

• Like 1