twest03

Which Avante Should I Get 2011 or Black

Hi All,

I am looking to build a Avante but unsure as to which i should buy as i can not find what is the differences between the ReRe 2011 and the Black edition apart from the price and of course the big question is it worth the difference or should i spend the money on hop ups for the 2011, which brings me on to the subject is there a list of essential hop ups to do.

I have been out of the hobby for quite some years now and the original Avante was one of the last cars i built with my farther, it looks like a few things have changed since then so i am unsure which way i need to go with things like battery packs, speed controllers and motors with everything gone brushless these days.

I would appreciate any advice on this as i am looking forward to start my first build and i am already planning what to get next as Tamiya for me brings back so many child hood memories with my late farther.

Thank you in advance

Tim.

• Like 2

I have also been told to look at the Egress by my local model shop (mainly because he can not get hold of a Avante) and says that it was a big improvement over the Avante, so now i am even more unsure which way to go.

I am very keen to get started on a build but want to make sure that i get the right thing before i part with my money.

I'm not an expert on these models, but to my knowledge the main technical difference between the 2011 and Black Special is that the latter came with the racing steering and torque splitter hop-up options. These are fairly costly together, so explain some of the difference in price. As for visual differences, the Black Special came with different decals, pink wheels, and a motor with a unique sticker.

Versus the Avante, the Egress has a longer wheelbase as well as some tweaks to the suspension and drivetrain, which improved performance. The Hi-cap dampers on the 2013 version are quite nice, and certainly better than what is on the 2011 or Black Special. I have not driven an Egress, but would guess that it would still drive better than a hopped-up 2011.

Given your nostalgia for the car, you certainly wouldn't go wrong with the 2011. Or perhaps you could think of the Egress as the next thing you might have built with your father if the opportunity had availed.

As far as necessary hop-ups for the Avante, Yeah Racing does an alloy set of front and rear hubs that take out some fragility inherent in the kit-standard plastic parts. The racing steering set was re-released again fairly recently, so it would be nice to have as well if you can find it for reasonable money. From what I've read, opinions are split on the torque splitter set, as its impact depends on your driving style and conditions.

I've rambled way more than intended, so hopefully one of the Avante experts will step in and correct me if I've strayed anywhere!

• Thanks 1

Thank you frameskip, your ramblings have been very informative and has given me a better insight into the models and after reading this i am swaying towards the Egress, i will just have to do my homework on all the modern tech as it is a far cry from the Acoms that Beaties used to supply and the much sort after Technigold and Black motors in the day.

Avante is a better build than the egress.  I have built both and both are awesome.  The avante has all the sexy suspension in alloy which needs built up which the egress does not have

I've built all three (avante, avante BS, egress) all are brilliant and which ever you choose ya won't be disappointed!,  but for what it's worth I preferred the standard avante simply because it's the first and just looks so right at any angle just go with whatever your pocket and instinct tells you like I say they're all brilliant IMO :D

img37842_28072012123033_1_1100_.jpg

IMG_20150711_193534.jpg

• Like 1

I think I agree with others here, they are all great, but the original style is just iconic and unbeatable.

Ive built and ran 4 different versions of the chassis (Black, Rere Avante, OG Avante, and Rere Egress). They all are fantastic and offer various advantages on track (if that is a concideration). The Black gives you a little of both the Egress and the Avante.  The Avante is an amazing build, and in rere form nearly bullet proof.  The Egress is a fun build too and alot of fun on the track and the back yard.  You just need to ask yourself which one do you want.

I have both the Avante 2011 and Egress kits - waiting to be built when life allows. Both are awesome kits and I'm sure the builds will be great fun. Can't comment on the Avante black edition as I haven't had experience with this kit. Something to consider also in your decision - the Avante 2011 (well the version I purchased anyway) has both the motor and esc included. With the Egress, I had to buy these separately (have stayed true to the original spec Tamiya suggested options for each). So the cost on the Egress comes in quite a bit higher than the Avante as a result. I did buy the Yeah Racing alloy front and rear hubs which I understand to be a worthy upgrade over the original plastic parts supplied with the kit.

I'm running my re-re's with the Futaba 3PV radio system which works well, also using NiMh that gives ample run time and less complex than LiPo since the esc's don't have low voltage shut offs.

Don't think you can go wrong with any of these options - whatever you choose, make sure to post a build thread so we can follow your progress!

Given the OPs back story, I would 100% buy an Avante. Either a 2011 or BS. 

If the intention is the run then perhaps the BS is the better option. 

I've built plenty of them over the years but personally, I don't like driving them. 

Well. I liked the color of the BS wheels, the wheel style of the Egress, and the overall style of the Avante and I like Hop Ups. So I got my self the Avante BS and out came this ... An Avante inspired BS. :D

IMG_20190601_171733.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys for all the info, i am seriously thinking of going down the Avante route after seeing the lovely examples that you all have posted, still not sure whether the Black edition is worth the extra £129.

Are there any upgrades that i should consider doing at the build stage on the standard ReRe kit.

• Like 1

I THINK you can still buy all the extra hop ups that are standard on the BS🤔 ball diff, steering upgrade etc (I don't know if they are expensive) and a good set of hard wearing tyres like the hot shot super grippers block pattern (if you want to keep it all tamiya) keep the pin spikes for the shelf! 

I had the same dilemma and plumped for an Avante 2011 a couple of years ago. Ended up buying some but not all of the stuff needed to convert to a BS! But it was quite costly.

so my suggestion is buy the Bs!

My 2p :)

If you’re going to run it, take it to tracks etc, then the Black Special bits could be worth it.

If you’re going to build it then bash it round your back garden, I’d save your cash for the next kit you’ll want to get  

if you’re going to savour the build and make a shelf queen, I’d buy the Black Special and a normal Avante stickers and wheels, so you get to have the full tricked out build and it still looks like you remember.