acprc

1/8 3097 Nitro Kyosho Turbo Burns restoration

Hi all,

My next documented restoration thread takes me away from Tamiya. As you all probably know I mainly collect Tamiya nitro however now and again I tend to drift towards other makes. In this instance Kyosho. The Turbo Burns came to me from Ebay UK. I paid £46 for it delivered in this condition:

Inferno2.jpg

Obviously missing a body, it has the wrong wing (its not an Inferno either) and covered in muck. First thing I have done with it is to jetwash the whole thing. Now that seems harsh but in actual fact it will be fully stripped, the RC gear will be scrapped anyway and the motor will be fully serviced. Other than that there is nothing that will get damaged. So jet wash done I am left with this to look over:

IMG-5998.jpg

IMG-5999.jpg

She is complete all bar the body, wing and air filter pretty much. Bodies are available as repro items along with the wing and decal set and the filter I think I already have. Wheels and tyres will be a challenge but we will see what happens.

IMG-6000.jpg

The car is fitted with a nice period Mondial motor and I will try and restore that. It isn't seized so that's a good start. Some of the metal components are showing signs of rust and that awful jubilee clip exhaust tube will be going.

IMG-6002.jpg

It has some nice aftermarket shocks fitted, hopefully these will clean up well. The rear arm threaded bars I already have new.

IMG-6003.jpg

Chassis plate has a few marks but confident these should sand/polish out. I may replace it if I find a new one because I'm not a fan of extra drilled holes and this has a couple. All in all though a good starting basis.

More to follow soon when I strip her down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin_Mc said:

@acprc i love your nitro builds m, subscribed.

perhaps when i rebuild my NDF01T you and @Tamiyabigstuff would be so kind as to answer approx 418 questions each :lol:

Yes I’ve done them all and have loads of parts so ask away

So, what are hot bank holidays for? Indeed, stripping a filthy nitro car. Finally managed to get the Turbo Burns stripped down.

Engine and chassis plate. A few bolts will need drilling out but should clean and sand up ok. Engine will be stripped and cleaned. @Disco the engine does have Pro on the mount etched on.

IMG-6150.jpg

Lots of parts to replace that are damaged beyond restoration

IMG-6155.jpg

Some sub assemblies to get apart and clean

IMG-6151.jpg

Lots of hardware to be individually restored

IMG-6153.jpg

Some parts to be salvaged for other builds

IMG-6154.jpg

And as ever, bits for the bin!

IMG-6152.jpg

So far so good, now to source a few parts. Stay tuned.

• Like 3

Had a bit of time on her today.

Managed to get the engine, engine mounts and part of the servo saver off the chassis. I had to drill the bolts out and then retap the holes. All the alloy parts are now ready to be cleaned and polished

spacer.png

With the engine off its ready to be stripped and cleaned. If you have seen my TGS Skyline build you will know the process it will go through. This Mondial 3.5 Pro engine will go back in the car.

spacer.png

Cross checked the new parts I had collected already against the bits from the kit. Mainly a few plastic parts, shafts and a new servo saver

spacer.png

and got the old bits in a box to sell on Ebay. These will still return a few pounds

spacer.png

Rest of the time was matching bolt and screw sizes from the manual to hardware on Ebay and ordering. The good thing about old cars is they use standard size screws so got most of the initial screws done.

The fuel tank is in the dishwasher ready for the next load. Once the outside is clean it will get a couple of denture cleaners inside with some hot water and a soak.

more to come.

• Like 1

Fuel tank came out the dishwasher and the inside had the denture cleaner treatment. Just needs the metal work sorting now but looking much better.

spacer.png

Washed and started to clean up the alloy parts. Lots more work needed but they are looking better already.

spacer.png

Took apart the front and rear hubs. Need to get some new pins to hold them on as the old ones are bent and the small rubber o-rings. The o-rings I should be able to match on Ebay. Blasted the hubs and axles ready for paint.

Matched the bearing to 8x16x5 668 size so ordered new as the old ones were in very poor condition.

• Like 1

Lots of new hardware arrived today.

spacer.png

As mentioned before no reason to pay Kyosho prices for cars this old as the hardware is easily matched.

• Like 1

The old girl is coming along. Front and rear gearbox assemblies are pretty much complete, cleaned up and new bearings and grease fitted. Purchased a hop-up rear shock mount for £9.50 on Ebay so awaiting that to arrive then I can mount the rear gearbox properly.

spacer.png

Also found a nice new brake disc on Ebay in France, just awaiting it and then I will strip the centre diff, replace the bearings and fit it.

spacer.png

Got the chassis plate as about as good as I am going to get it so started to mount parts as they get refurbished. So today she looks like this

spacer.png

Slow progress but starting to look like a car again. One of the front shock shafts is bent so just ordered another and then they will be refurbished and fitted. Then I guess its the radio plate and the engine. Need to find a front bumper, wheels and tyres. I can get a repro body and decals easily enough.

• Like 1

Got the engine stripped apart, was in very very good condition internally, no rust at all. Heatsink head will be blasted then polished, the rest will go through my normal process. All the screws and gaskets will be replaced as a matter of course.

spacer.png

Being Italian the Novarossi screws are the same. Needs a new clutch bell as the gear has separated from the bell. Should be easy enough to find.

spacer.png

Also got all 4 shocks dismantled and checked over. Apart from some rub marks on one of the rear cylinders all looks good. The new shock shaft is on its way. The springs have oxidised a bit so will decide what to do with them.

spacer.png

They will all be rebuilt with new seals, screws and rod ends. Plastic parts will be washed and reused and fitted with new screws.

More to come

• Like 1

Nice work!!! It's amazing how well Kyosho nailed the Turbo Burns. The basic layout is still used by all 1/8 buggies/truggies to this day. 

I'm looking forward to seeing this one complete. Will you run it? Even just the back yard?

• Like 1

Yes, its surprising how similar it is to so many 1/8 buggies, even the new stuff.

The engine will get run on my test bench and then fitted into the car. I might run it, we shall see.

So spent some time on the centre diff this weekend. Stripped it down to have a look.

The inside was good with no broken teeth, cleaned and regreased the gears. Ordered a new spur gear as the old one was cracked, cleaned up the metal parts in the blast cabinet and fitted new bearings. Once the spur gear arrives I will build it up and fit it to the car.

Also, got the cylinder head blasted and then polished. Looks great.

• Like 2

Got some more parts done this week. New brake disc arrived so the centre diff was finished. Stripped and rebuilt with new bearings and retaining screws and then fitted back onto the chassis with the connecting driveshafts. Added the throttle servo.

spacer.png

Fitted the hop up rear damper support, looks nice and if I find a front one I will retro fit it

spacer.png

The Mondial 3.5 PRO engine was stripped, cleaned and rebuilt with new screws and gaskets. Came out really nicely.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just needs a new clutch bell, the throttle connection and the mounts now. Heatsink head went back on the correct way round @Disco.

Started rebuilding the shocks now the shaft has arrived. Haven't decided on what to with the springs yet. Maybe just replace them.

More to come

• Like 2

Made a decision on the springs. Decided to blast them and try and repaint would be difficult due to paint falling off when they flex. Eventually found a new set in Italy for just £15 so purchased them. Another small item ticked off the list.

spacer.png

• Like 1

As ever waiting for parts! That's the problem with older cars and restorations you eventually slow right down as you find bits you need.

I did find the correct Clutch bell in Germany and ordered it. Found out its still a current part but had a new part number. The pinion had come away from the bell on the one I had.

spacer.png

Also, found the correct rubber switch covers.

spacer.png

Very slowly getting there now. As I suspected though the hard parts to find are original tyres and wheels.

On 9/9/2019 at 2:14 AM, acprc said:

The engine will get run on my test bench

Would love some info on your test bench.  Is it homemade?  Seems it would be easier getting an engine square off the vehicle.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:23 PM, Juggernut said:

Would love some info on your test bench.  Is it homemade?  Seems it would be easier getting an engine square off the vehicle.

spacer.png

• Like 1

So I had a week away in Japan on business and when I got back I had a few parts so continued on the chassis.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Work done includes:

Restoring the damper springs as the ones I ordered were incorrect and mounting the shocks

Restoring the steering tie rods and mounting them

Installing the servo saver

Adding the throttle linkage

Restoring the exhaust and manifold and adding them to the engine and chassis

Installing the radio plate

Few more jobs to do and then I am awaiting parts:

Add cable tie on rubber exhaust coupler

Antenna pipe

Add nipple to the exhaust for pressure to tank and fit hose

Parts I am trying to find:

Front Bumper (old one is past restoration)

Wheels x 4 

Front Tyres

Air Filter

Very slowly getting there, body will go to @jonboy1 for painting when it arrives and he is ready for it.

• Like 1

So the hunt for parts continues. I still need a set of wheels and front tyres. However, whilst browsing I found the optional EFRA exhaust for the car in Italy so purchased it. Its designed for the Mondial motor I have fitted so will be a nice upgrade.

spacer.png

Found the correct Air Filter in the USA. Another item ticked off.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Good looking rebuild. Keep the pictures coming. Excited to see the finished result. I have a complete Turbo Burns and Turbo Inferno build threads on RC10talk.com. Check them out if you get a chance. 

• Like 1

Slow progress on the Burns as I await finding parts. I managed to find the lightweight front shock tower to match the rear so fitted it and also the front anti roll bar as well.

spacer.png

Also got some rear tyres and used rear wheels. Still looking for a few parts but thats normal with these older cars.

• Like 1