acprc

1/8 3097 Nitro Kyosho Turbo Burns restoration

Small update.

Still looking for parts for the Turbo Burns but whilst browsing the random auctions on Ebay found this auction for old tyres

spacer.png

56 tyres in total but on closer inspection of the other pics it turned out most had Kyosho Turbo Burns wheels!

spacer.png

Now these are hard to get so £46 later the lot were mine. Now hopefully I can make a good set and then sell the rest.

• Like 1

Tyres arrived today.......oh man am I happy! Put one set through the dishwasher (sorry dear!).

A sneak preview

spacer.png

13 sets of Kyosho Turbo Burns wheels with Kyosho tyres fitted. Different hardness patterns. An absolute steal for £46.

• Like 4

Looks great! Do you run any of your restorations or are they for display?

• Like 1

I am loving this!!! The Turbo Burns and Burns DX are among the large list of wish I had the money as a kid to buy! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, guggles said:

Looks great! Do you run any of your restorations or are they for display?

I have runners to keep me away from the restored cars. Mainly 1/8 scale monster trucks like the TNX and a Traxxas T-Maxx

Looking good! A couple of things I read that I wanted to note. 

- These are the standard Turbo Burns shocks. 

- I don't see any extra holes drilled in your chassis. Great news. 

- Your rear CF option shock tower is a Burns DX (not Turbo Burns) part. It looks to fit ok though. 

- Your front sway bar is installed incorrectly for the Turbo Burns. It should be mounted up high, just behind the front tower. The way you have it is how the regular Burns would run it, as the front arms were different. 

Items like the threaded rods that have rusted can be restored to new condition. Simply clean them up well usind a scotch pad/steel wool, and then apply Birchwood Casey Gun Blue. This restores the factory black finish and protection. 

Keep up the great work!

• Like 2

Watching various restoration videos on the youtube I have picked up that evapo-rust is a great product to use in converting rust also. Sometimes It takes a while but results look quite nice. 

I will try and remember the tip on the gun blue coat if I ever need it. 

Its always a treat to stop by and get schooled on these vintage nitro buggys. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 6:35 AM, Lavigna 1 said:

Looking good! A couple of things I read that I wanted to note. 

- These are the standard Turbo Burns shocks. 

- I don't see any extra holes drilled in your chassis. Great news. 

- Your rear CF option shock tower is a Burns DX (not Turbo Burns) part. It looks to fit ok though. 

- Your front sway bar is installed incorrectly for the Turbo Burns. It should be mounted up high, just behind the front tower. The way you have it is how the regular Burns would run it, as the front arms were different. 

Items like the threaded rods that have rusted can be restored to new condition. Simply clean them up well usind a scotch pad/steel wool, and then apply Birchwood Casey Gun Blue. This restores the factory black finish and protection. 

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the comments. I did realise that they were the originals once I stripped the car down, need to edit the originals posts. Rear shock tower fits very well. I did wonder why the front sway bar was a poor fit, will rectify this weekend.

The rods are easily matched on Ebay and you dont need to get RC parts however I will borrow some of my wifes gun blue and try it.

Update on the Turbo Burns chassis.

It did look like this

spacer.png

Now looks like this

spacer.png

After advice from @Lavigna 1 I got the front roll bar fitted correctly. Now the chassis needs two parts, the front bumper and the rear plastic body hook (the body mount). It also needs the side skirts which are easy to make I just need to get the right material (slightly smoked grey plastic) and cut them out from the pattern.

The body needs to go to my painter and then it will be pretty much finished. I will keep an eye out for any other hop ups as they come along though.

• Like 2

Quick update. The chassis still needs two parts to finish it, the front bumper and the rear body mount. Started looking for some smoked acetate to do the side skirts.

The body has gone to be painted. @jonboy1 does all of my bodies as he is superb. I think this one will test him a bit but looking forward to the results.

• Thanks 1

Little bit of progress. Its not the first time that I have purchased complete cars to finish another project due to lack of parts. Whilst browsing in Japan I cam across a normal Kyosho Burns. I'm hopeful this will provide the bumper and rear body mount.

i-img768x768-15868187164pfe8d375921.jpg

and of course I now have another to do! I think deep down i just fancy @jonboy1 having to do another Kyosho body! Looking forward to also doing this restoration and if I can get it looking as good as the Turbo version I will be happy. The search for normal Burns parts starts!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So,

Things seem to be finally aligning on getting this finished. @jonboy1 has finished the bodyshell and it looks superb, can't wait to get it back and fitted

50170452926-d90626c4b0-b.jpg

and the car I purchased in Japan that has the two bits I need has finally made it to the UK. Just got to wait for it to clear customs. It was sent by sea due to the restrictions on the engine. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 8:16 PM, jonboy1 said:

thanks for not saying "finally" more :rolleyes: sorry again they've taken so long

The best jobs always take more time and I am happy to wait for the best.

• Thanks 1

So, the Burns chassis made it from Japan by sea.

IMG-6347.jpg

IMG-6348.jpg

Not sure what I will do with it yet but the bumper and rear body mounts were removed and fitted to the Turbo Burns. She needs a dust now after the trial fits of the body.

IMG-6340.jpg

IMG-6341.jpg

Then the newly painted rear spoiler was fitted

IMG-6342.jpg

and I started to cut the body mount holes and the engine heatsink hole.

IMG-6345.jpg

Started to add silver tape where the body might rub to protect the paint

IMG-6346.jpg

Got a few marks I made in @jonboy1 superb work so once done I will finish off the silver tape around the exhaust tube hole and then the body is done. I think I just have to paint the Bridgestone logos on the tyres and match the side protector plastic (to reproduce a set) and she is done.

• Like 2