Bwaaatch

Cheap and easy lighting for Comical Grasshopper: appreciate some suggestions

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but i’m not quite clear about the options for adding lights to these comical cars, and other wr02s.

The Tamiya unit looks expensive, but is presumably simple to set up and good quality. I wondered if anyone had suggestions for alternatives that are cheaper but just as easy and reliable? Extra features a bonus, but not needed. My transmitter is just a simple 2 channel anyway.

As a side note, I bought the Grasshopper to entertain my 3.5 year old and she loves it. The first two goes she just chased it around, but now she likes to have a bit of a drive. It’s got such personality, a bit like a puppy. She’s in fits of giggles the whole time. It draws in crowds of kids in a slightly Pied Piperish fashion, though. Bit creepy.

I know the topic of how to engage your children  with RC comes up a lot here. I’ve struck lucky first try, and would recommend for anyone on the fence.

Cheers!

I usually use the GT Power light units. Basic, plug & play, nice and easy although a little bulky. It's often advertised as a flashing light kit as it can be set to 'always on' or a variety of flashing modes. Just press the set-up button until you get what you want.

This type of thing - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT-POWER-12-LED-Flashing-Head-Light-Lamp-System-Kit-RC-Car-1-10/172366873096?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• Like 1

How many lamps are you looking for Bwaaatch? - you can get some very simple (to actually quite complex) plug-and-play LED sets from Model Lighting Solutions on eBay (they are a UK seller). For example, if all you want is two* or four white LEDs for spotlights (or say two white for headlights and two red for tail lights), they will already have something listed I'm sure... (*their Midnight Pumpkin set springs to mind) - and they plug directly into a spare channel or +ve output slot on your Receiver.

Jx

• Like 1

Another vote for the GT Power system, which somehow seems a bit nicer than the many similar no-name units offered by overseas vendors.

3Racing also makes a decent light unit, with plenty of LEDs in the box and an option for proper brake lights when the LEDs are plugged in a certain slot on the unit. The GT Power unit also has this feature.

As stated previously, the main unit can be bulky, but is easy to use and set up. Once you find a place for it on the car, you are well on your way to a nice setup!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! That’s plenty for me to explore. I’ll report back when I’ve got something in place.

Ordered the GT Power set from @IBIFTKH's link as it was super cheap (6 quid) and looked to be pretty flexible. Looks like delivery takes about a month, so will update then.

Thanks again to everyone.

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

Just to report that the GT-POWER-12 lighting set worked great, and I have it installed in my Comical Hornet here

For some reason I thought could act as a brake light at the back, but I don't think that it does. Instead, the only viable option seems to be all lights on, all the time. The other options are a range of flashing settings that I suppose are useful for emergency vehicle, but not for me.

I couldn't figure out how to neatly mount the rear lights int he rear light holders, so for now a bit of masking tape is doing the job (see pic).

I've also bought, but not yet fitted, a Turnigy switch to let me control the lights from Channel 3 of my transmitter, so that I have some on/off options that way.

Thanks again for all your help.

DSC_0160.jpg

• Like 1

The shown GT Power led set is also available on AliExpress, you can find them there as cheap as 3 dollars. They are not always called GT Power over there, but look for  RC led or RC light set or something like that and the photo's will tell you. Only downside of AliExpress is that it usally takes a while to get delivered. 

I often get the rebranded Hobbyking one, from wel eh... Hobbyking. It is the same one. Just look for  "Hobbyking Schaal Auto LED Light System Advanced" on there website. It is the same one as the the GT Power one.

Tip. They are very easy to waterproof. Just pop open the case and I personally use  conformal coating.
This is what I use: https://amzn.to/30ba94W
Very easy to apply, drys fast. 2 or 3 layers on the circuit board and pop it back in the case. Done. No worries if you are driving trough water , damp or mud. 
One 55ml bottle will last you a lot of builds. I use it for all electronics.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8fOqoFtAx0MNWskn0nDo

As for a electronic light switch so you can switch the lights on or off from your transmitter. The most reliable one I use for years now is the one from DR Mad, the Dr. Mad Thrust. Simple, easy. I waterproof is also with the conformal coating. Hobbyking also sold them, but the seem to be out of them. But you can find them all over AliExpress.
https://bit.ly/2kXJfdd
43894-2.jpg

• Like 3