Sign in to follow this  
stulec52

Re-releases change collectors mood?

Seems to me that since the re-release of the Hornet, more and more questions have been along the lines of " hey do you think they will ever bring back the xxxxxx ?"( fill in the xxxxxx's)

Is this changing what we collect today?

are people sitting back waiting to see what oldie Tamiya will re-package next?

I actually think this might deter some people from buying just in case they could pick up a brand new oldie instead of trying to re-build an original.

or, it could be just me [:P]

Maybe the "hey do you think they will ever bring back the xxxxxx ?" is just a lot of wishful thinking by the members and nothing more. I think its good, because you can easily tell where their hearts lie, in what cars are truely their favorite, in what they "wish" for.

Personally, the re-releases are having no impact what so ever on what I'm collecting. I have a re-release Hornet, and plan to get the Grasshopper and the Lunchbox, not because they will be worth something in a few years, but because they were a big part of my life in my younger years. I think its great that I can buy something for a reasonable amount of money, that I feel is such an important part of RC history.

I can also understand how those that have the "original releases" are not all happy with the re-releases, as the value of the original drops on their release, and no one likes to loose money. That being said, Id still prefer to own an original release, But I simply will not pay the money that some people are asking for them.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I think it does affect buying and prices to a point, which for us collectors (= buyers) isn't a bad thing imho.

Cheers

All the re-releases are good for me.

I am the same as Backlash, I will get them not just becuase they may be worth something in the future, I only purchase cars for what I like and not for the money value in the future at all.

Can't wait to get a hold of a hornet/grashopper/lb as they remind me of what I was a kid, which is why I have 3 Fox's now. I will get around to collecting these re-releases and anything else that may come along when I stop buying all these new cars that i like :(

Chris

in the end we spend tons and tons of money. Im buying 3 of each re-release as I can since I have two kids myself and one for me so we can build them. if you havent noticed the lunchbox body kits have gone considerably since most folks on ebay found out about the re-release of it. There is this person I emailed about his lunchbox and he wants to sell it, but wants 75 dollars and 25 ship it, but you gotta figure you can get a new lunchbox kit itself for that much and he knows this he bought it last year for 150 and then shipping. kinda feel bad....

So, this is changing what we collect then?

By what I am reading, no one is looking for the oldies right now, just going for the re-releases.

oh, and just for the record, I do not give a fig about the prices/values. I only do not like being able to walk into the local hobby store and buying an 'oldie' from the shelf. I like the hunt !

I guess you can say no im not looking for oldies any more such as when I first came on this board I wanted the lunchbox and then someone posted pics of the re-release that changed my collecting attitude about it then I just told myself to wait for the re-release. Just think before I found pics on this forum on the re-releas I was willing to pay 400 dollars (kept losing ebay auctions people paying 480 for it) for it, but now im more like, "400 bucks I can 4 re-release than one oldie" thats my attitude about it.

I do feel that the old vintage kits are still worth just as much now as they did before the re-releases came out. Although I do agree that all the people with LB original body kits are going to take a huge loss because of the re-release.

It definatly changes my views. I used to consider paying the big bucks and almost payed $300.00 for a used Lunchbox, thank god I didn't. Now, I won't even consider it with the re-releases. I am really glad their bringing them back. I collect what I like, not for some percieved value. There's a lot better ways to make money.

I think it is a good thing that Tamiya re-release some of the oldies. It affects me in a way that it makes me thinking of what a really want and keep it and sell what I don't really want but bought them anyway because I think it was a good deal. Now I spend a lot of time building and restoring my collection instead of sitting in front of the computer waiting for a good deal to come.

quote:
Originally posted by RA1028

I think it is a good thing that Tamiya re-release some of the oldies. It affects me in a way that it makes me thinking of what a really want and keep it and sell what I don't really want but bought them anyway because I think it was a good deal. Now I spend a lot of time building and restoring my collection instead of sitting in front of the computer waiting for a good deal to come.

id="quote">id="quote">

yeah im the same way always surfing ebay and tamiyclub looking for a deal always buying something vintage, but now I see if tamiya might re-release it. Such as the p34 tyrrell man I wanted that vehcile and for what I never had as a kid, but it was rare and wanted it just becuase of that now I just buy the re-release and be happy.

Some talk about the feeling about hunting kits. I sure can understand the feeling of walking in a store, and finding a vintage kit on the shelf. But how often does that happen today. I mean, there arent so many old toystores left now. And then to have it have a oldie sitting on the shelf. Not a big chance. Of cource it does happens, but it must get rarer and rarer all the time.

In sweden i take every opportunity to go into an old hobbyshop when i see one. But they never had anything older than a kyosho Nitro tracker[V]

All these Toys r us that are everywhere stink[:(!]

Anyway, without the rereleases, i would never get the chance to own an oldie for a fair price.

quote:
Originally posted by Gixer Jay

I do feel that the old vintage kits are still worth just as much now as they did before the re-releases came out. Although I do agree that all the people with LB original body kits are going to take a huge loss because of the re-release.

id="quote">id="quote">

Are they? Why does an original XR311 go much cheaper then a Cheetah then? Also original NIB Hornets used to go for more then $400, now they go more around the 250 mark, similar also with original GH or LB which stay unsold at 300something, where before the re-releases they would have been snapped away in a minute at that price.

Still I wouldn't be unhappy, as originals may have lost value, but first a collector wouldn't ever sell them so he wouldn't loose money, second the value the originals loose is much less compared to the money saved by buying now many nice NIBs to make as shelf queens and runners, third the joy of building and running those is priceless [:D]

Cheers

I agree with Theo, I'm happy about the rereleases and also thing they have had a big impact on original prices.

A lot of the previous bidding was pushed up by people that wanted that model because they had it as a kid, not because they wanted an old nib kit. This made the prices higher - basically all these people can now just buy one from stella, so they will have all dropped out of the bidding race, so lower prices. As far as I can see original NIB kits that have had relrelease done are another fetching about 75-50% of what why were before.

I'd actually go further than that and say I think its even effected the price of NIB kits that haven't been rereleased, as it making people think long and hard before buying. You are now getting bidders that really want that kit but those that used to buy for 'investments' are now thinking long and hard about it as its no longer such a stable market.

quote:
Originally posted by DJTheo
quote:
Originally posted by Gixer Jay

id="quote">id="quote">

Are they? Why does an original XR311 go much cheaper then a Cheetah then? Also original NIB Hornets used to go for more then $400, now they go more around the 250 mark, similar also with original GH or LB which stay unsold at 300something, where before the re-releases they would have been snapped away in a minute at that price.

Still I wouldn't be unhappy, as originals may have lost value, but first a collector wouldn't ever sell them so he wouldn't loose money, second the value the originals loose is much less compared to the money saved by buying now many nice NIBs to make as shelf queens and runners, third the joy of building and running those is priceless [
:D
]

Cheers

id="quote">id="quote">

Where have you been watching? If you look at the prices in Jason's and Tamiya-RC's store they still mark the old Hornet, Grasshopper, and Lunchbox kits for $300-$500USD and they have been still selling without problems. I know it because I've been watching those kits just to see what the market is doing.[:P]

Jason now has a NIB 58063 original Lunchbox at $485. Thats about the same price as before the re-release Lunchbox came out.

So if you had $485 in your pocket and you could choose 1 "original Lunchbox" kit OR 4 "re-release Lunchbox" kits what would you buy?[:D]

i believe jason has had that lunchbox now for a very long time and has not sold, but tamiya-rc seller has been dumping theirs and have not sold that high I was looking at them also. for 485 dollars and probably 100 dolalrs in shipping I would take 6 lunchbox and not just one.

I agree with everyone here. Jay,Theo,Chris and others. You all love differant tamiya cars,for various reasons. Some appreciate vintage new in box,some like the re-releases,some like "new built". But the bottom line is-we all love "things tamiya". A nice bond to have.

I agree with you Merv. It just all depends on the person. A vintage collector would probably go for the original where a back-yard basher would probably choose the re-release.

Like you said we ALL love these things Tamiya! Either way you choose Tamiya is all good in the hood!!![;)]

that reminds jay can we see some pics of your collection man I think I seen it before and it was NICE vintage stuff!!!!! I think you won that wild one MRC-tamiya with battery?????

quote:Where have you been watching? If you look at the prices in Jason's and Tamiya-RC's store they still mark the old Hornet, Grasshopper, and Lunchbox kits for $300-$500USD and they have been still selling without problems. I know it because I've been watching those kits just to see what the market is doing.

Jason now has a NIB 58063 original Lunchbox at $485. Thats about the same price as before the re-release Lunchbox came out.

id="quote">id="quote">

First I have to repeat myself here that unsold auctions or unsold BIN prices don't tell a thing about a market value, I could put my NIB HB for $1000 in eBay, would that make HBs suddenly more valuable?

Second, Tamiya-RC store who isn't one of the cheap, has an original LB for $360 after removing it several times from $1 starting auctions as I guess he wasn't pleased with the bidding prices and even for $360 it is unsold for quite some days, before the re-release it would been snapped away in minutes for that price.

Thirdly I have been watching eBay since 2000 (just out of curiosity as I don't usually buy NIBs) but always the real auctions which end sold and there I have seen the $3xx original XR311, $2xx original Hornets and $1xx original GHs I have stated above, BIN auctions or reserve one or high starting price ones don't tell anything if they don't sell.

By the way I remember some people talking about high 3 speed prices in the forum as they were watching high $3xxx BIN prices (most unsold though). Well the last Mounty went for 1220 pounds, which is more the standard price.

Cheers

I dont go for the oldies as most of them are way more then i want to spend.

Yes they are original and collectible, but i unfortunately have other things that need my money ( **** OS trip ) so the re-relase ones will have to do.

Chris