Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

Building a reliable Blackfoot

Great post! Somewhere on here, back in the mists of time, there was a very long thread about Blackfoot durability mods, but most of them involved fundamentally changing the character of the design (Super/King rear end, things like that). I prefer, and it seems like you do too, to keep as much of the character of the original as possible.

But having said that... Look for a set of the old CRP front uprights. Same design, but molded from nylon, not ABS (but unfortunately yellow). Just about unbreakable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

per the Front Uprights...

CRP made a super strong version of the BF upright.  Works great...

But look for the even more rare Parma blue upright.  It takes into account the inherent bump-steer of the BF and corrects for it, ie less bump-steer.

AmPro makes a very very similar 3D printed version.

Terry

If you really want to sort that rear end out, this mod has transformed the rear trailing arm situation.

20170822_162356.thumb.jpg.58b4523dd381fbab3ee79b89da3f85e5 (1).jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, graemevw said:

If you really want to sort that rear end out, this mod has transformed the rear trailing arm situation.

20170822_162356.thumb.jpg.58b4523dd381fbab3ee79b89da3f85e5 (1).jpg

Wow, that's the 3/4-ton version...

Upon further advice, it turns out some of the modifications I was suggesting could be wrong. I've chosen to wrap this thread up rather than mislead anyone who may come along and read it. Also upon reflection, the ideas are nothing new and are likely just taking up space. Sorry for any inconvenience.

• Sad 1

If there is continued interest, here is my Frog upgrade thread:  

And my Blackfoot thread:  

PM me for any questions...

Terry

P

8 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Upon further advice, it turns out some of the modifications I was suggesting could be wrong. I've chosen to wrap this thread up rather than mislead anyone who may come along and read it. Also upon reflection, the ideas are nothing new and are likely just taking up space. Sorry for any inconvenience.

I dont understand, seemed good to me. I was enjoying seeing your approach to building it. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I thought, "what's up with all the dots?"  It takes a better man to steer away from his own initial ideas.  Hat's off to you, sir.