cliffw0970

Probably an easy one

I was a bit underwhelmed with my Hornet until I realised it was going faster in reverse! Played around swapping the motor wires and got it going in the right direction. 

Now it seems I must pull the left stick backwards for the car to go forwards, is this normal? I much preferred the feel of pushing forward to make it go that way. 

Ive googled but can’t seem to find anything specific to my setup.

any ideas? 

F239BB7F-4728-4424-AC30-1C636A0CD185.jpeg

Most transmitters have a "servo reverse" switch somewhere.  (Futaba used to have tiny switches in in the battery compartment)  

They're in plain sight, right next to the on/off switch. Just flip the throttle switch from "REV" to "NOR" and you should be good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

They're in plain sight, right next to the on/off switch. Just flip the throttle switch from "REV" to "NOR" and you should be good.

No joy with that nothing changed unfortunately. Could it be the receiver? I didn’t do any ‘binding’ between them!

If it works, it's bound.  

The next thing is to reset the ESC.  Most ESC asks you to throttle forward-and-backward.  If you did it the other way around, it might have been set up backwards.  Look up the instruction for resetting procedure, and try that.  

1 hour ago, cliffw0970 said:

No joy with that nothing changed unfortunately. Could it be the receiver? I didn’t do any ‘binding’ between them!

That's weird. As Juggular says, it might need the throttle calibration resetting after swapping it in order to work perfectly, or maybe even to work at all at the ends of the stick's travel, but I'm really surprised that switching TH Trim between REV and NOR doesn't swap the direction of travel. That's the entire point of that switch.

Wow, that is strange. Try going through the ESC's setup routine again (with the switch on the transmitter in the "NOR" position) and see if that straightens it out.

Thinking of other potential reasons, I put a 540 Sport tuned in it which has a black and red wires, there is no black and red to connect it on the car, the wires are green, yellow and blue. I have just noticed Torque Tuned motors DO have green and yellow. Could that be the answer? swap the motor? (and whats the difference for that matter)

Or

A Google search let me to an article about opening the controller and swapping the left stick so that back was now forward.

Any thoughts appreciated.

You shouldn't have to dig that far in. Get out your instruction sheet that came with the speed controller (if it came in the kit, it's not in the main instructions, it's a separate folded piece of paper). It will tell you everything you need to know about setting up the speed controller. 

As for the motor wires, you should go red (motor +) to yellow (ESC +) and black (motor -) to blue (ESC -). The orange wire from the ESC isn't used for brushed motors, just zip-tie it out or the way. Then just go through the setup procedure EXACTLY as shown in the instructions, and I'm betting it will work fine.

I’m still very confused that the TH Trim REV switch doesn’t reverse the direction. Does it literally make no difference which way it’s set, even with only small (ie very slow) throttle positions?

Does the ST switch reverse the direction of the steering?