TurnipJF

DT-02/DT-03 - what is the upper limit?

What is the accepted wisdom regarding the semi-sensible upper limit for a DT-03/DT-02 in terms of motor spec?

I would say 10.5t or around 3500-3800kv really. I had 8.5 4400kv in mine and it just started breaking stuff (diff gears abd driveshafts mostly), although i run mine on truck wheels which means gearing isn't really on for higher power motors. It got very hot. The gearing is 8.2 or 9.6. I have a 3450kv on 17t pinion in mine now and it's fast! On buggy wheels i could go to 19t pinion. 

• Like 1

With standard Buggy wheels, the DT02/3 drivetrain is surprisingly robust, I run a hobbywing 4000kv sensorless system which is easily equal to a traxxas velineon system they put in there bandit, rustler/slash etc. and even with paddle tires on the beach it’s been coping just fine for many many packs. The Buggy easily keeps up with my brushless traxxas vehicles. 

the weakest link is the alloy pinion gear, if it’s not replaced with a steel gear from new, the pinion wears quickly and becomes sharp and starts eating the rest of the gearbox, potentially leading to failure. 

While the plastic drives and dogbones seem like a weak link on the DT03, I’ve not suffered any reliability issues from them, as the kit is mainly used on the beach for me, using steel parts just leads to rust.

Juls

• Like 1

I have run a 4800kv with 17T pinion on 2.2" truck wheels and tyres. Motor doesn't get a  chance to get hot as it would spend more time on it's lid.

Have gone back to a 4000kv, but a 3300-3500 would probably be just about perfect.

• Like 1

With a couple of upgrades (out drives , driveshafts) the gearbox can handle pretty much anything, its all the other parts than come into contact with solid objects at speed, on the other hand....

The current 4300kv on 3s seems to be ok for beach running with paddles atm, although I'm not sure if that's just because there's less to hit!! 😂

• Like 1

I run a 3421 kv 10 turn in mine with 19 pinion. Runs well, but I would not throw more at it than that on 3S.

What will be the limit depends on your tyres, driving conditions and so on. But between 3500 and 4000 kv is a good place to be. If you run on hardpack with loose gravel on top, you can run more as you cannot get the same traction as on grass, soft soil, carpet and clay.

• Like 1

3450kv Etronix brushless set up on a  19t pinion and 2s lipo on grass and dirt. Plenty quick enough for me. 

• Like 1

These are all good points. I run almost exclusively on open grass playing fields, which means high traction, higj drag from the surfqce and lots of full throttle running. Probably means i need to be a little more conservative on power and gearing to keep temps sensible. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I run almost exclusively on open grass playing fields,

Surface plays a big part.

I was running a 16t when running on sand (tooth mesh not ideal, but a gear kit is a fiver so thought I'd give it a go).

• Like 2

On 6/21/2019 at 8:41 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

These are all good points. I run almost exclusively on open grass playing fields, which means high traction, higj drag from the surfqce and lots of full throttle running. Probably means i need to be a little more conservative on power and gearing to keep temps sensible. 

You'll be fine with 3400-3600 kv motors on grass and a 17 or 19 tooth pinion. I run my DT-03 mainly on grass with the 3421 kv motor. It's an Absima Thrust BL ECO 3421 powered by a Hobbywing 60 A ESC. I use Schumi Full Spike tyres front and rear.