Wooders28

Utilising the 3rd channel?

I have an idea for a project, but need to use the 3rd channel.

Does anyone have any insight into using the extra channel?

The 3rd channel on my Core rc cr151 transmitter is just a switch, so does that mean the output from the receiver is just 6v on/off or is it analog? 

Am I right in thinking the 3rd white wire is the switched? But is it switched live or ground? 

Essentially ,I can fit a 6v relay to the 3rd channel, meaning I can then switch whatever power supply I am running (eg 3s / 12v)??

It's not usually on/off; it's two set positions. If you plug a servo into it, you'll see it go from one position to the other when you flip the switch. Useful for things like landing gear on a plane (either up or down) or a 2-speed gearbox (either first or second gear).

You can use it to turn LED lights on or off by making a simple switch out of an old dead servo board. Just wire the lights to the motor output of the board, and since LED's only work when current is flowing one way, they'll switch on and off depending on what position the switch is in.

• Thanks 1

Yep, it should output a PWM signal for a servo/ESC. Usually, all the way one way is 1millisecond pulses and all the way the other way is 2millisecond pulses. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, markbt73 said:

You can use it to turn LED lights on or off by making a simple switch out of an old dead servo board

Sounds like a plan! 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, nbTMM said:

Yep, it should output a PWM signal for a servo/ESC. Usually, all the way one way is 1millisecond pulses and all the way the other way is 2millisecond pulses. 

All I need is a pulse width long enough to activate a relay or just to activate this switch....

(Although I can't be bothered with the engine vibrating, the engine reving sound and headers lighting up would stay 🙄)

PWM pulse is too fast/short & won't have sufficient current to activate any relay directly. You need some IC smarts.

Gutting a servo's PCB will supply you a mini ESC with reversing motor-drive output... you can use this to drive lights etc (take heed of polarity)

Or for price of a beer these days you can buy a purposebuilt RX-controlled relay from Hobbyking/fleaBay that does exactly that.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-receiver-controlled-switch-1.html

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WillyChang said:

PWM pulse is too fast/short & won't have sufficient current to activate any relay directly. You need some IC smarts.

Gutting a servo's PCB will supply you a mini ESC with reversing motor-drive output... you can use this to drive lights etc (take heed of polarity)

Or for price of a beer these days you can buy a purposebuilt RX-controlled relay from Hobbyking/fleaBay that does exactly that.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-receiver-controlled-switch-1.html

Thanks for the link, perfect, that makes it not even worth spending time and effort looking for an old servo, and with a 10A capability , I won't need a relay and run power from the balance lead.👍