ThunderDragonCy

1060 brake adjustment?

Just got a 1060 ESC (one of the black ones off ebay so probably not hobbywing) and put it in my RS200 with a 27t stock racing motor. Its plenty zippy enough but the braking is really harsh. Just the mildrst touch of the stick rearwards completely locks the wheels, and there isn't much drag brake. Makes the car really hard to drive. The jumper is definitely in F/B/R mode so its not just throwing it into reverse the moment it reverse the stick. Is there any way to adjust this? I have a flysky fs i6 radio set so i can adjust the throttle curve if that might be the solution? I have no idea on that stuff though. 

I had a TBLE02S in before and it was much more subtle and controllable on the brakes. 

Or alternatively, is a proper branded Hobbywing ESC much better? 

Thanks! 

I dont think there is any adjustment in the esc itself, im not even sure if the brake force is progressive or just on/off. If its progressive you may be able to tune it on the tx.

I have both hobbywing and copy 1060s and ive not noticed any difference in either but they are in different types of car so hard to tell.

I guess thats all just a long winded way of saying 'no idea' 😂 

• Haha 1

I’ve got a Hobbywing  ‘Justock’ XR10 ESC and according to the manual to set the brake force by the set button you have to...

1, With the ESC off turn on the Transmitter.

2, Holding the set button, turn on the ESC.

3, Release on 2 Green flashes ( should be 1 Red then 1 Green then the 2 Green.) 

4, Press the Set Button again.

Now you should get a sequence of

1 red flash = 0%

2 red flashes = 5%

3 red flashes = 10%

4 red flashes = 20%

5 red flashes = 40%

6 red flashes = 60%

7 red flashes = 80%

8 red flashes = 100% Drag Brake.

5, press the Set again after the flashes corresponding to the brake drag required. 

6, To finish turn off the ESC then turn on again. 

(Presuming all Hobbywing type ESC use the same programming technique 🤔

I just bought a Hobbywing program box which is much easier as all the settings are displayed in text so takes  the guess work out of it. And apparently works with the Onisiki ESC’s that are a rebrand Hobbywing. 

Gee hope this helps it’s taken ages to type out !!!🤣

• Haha 1

I found the 1060 brakes rubbish in the boomer in F/B/R , slightly better in F/R (neutral is drag brake) and ended up setting the reverse end point so I can slam it straight into reverse and get controllable brakes.

Have you played about with the reverse end point @ThunderDragonCy it may reduce the braking strength in F/B/R?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I found the 1060 brakes rubbish in the boomer in F/B/R , slightly better in F/R (neutral is drag brake) and ended up setting the reverse end point so I can slam it straight into reverse and get controllable brakes.

Have you played about with the reverse end point @ThunderDragonCy it may reduce the braking strength in F/B/R?

I haven't tried anything yet, but that's a good start. My first thought was the throttle curve on the reverse side, but combining that with end point might be the one. Thanks. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I haven't tried anything yet, but that's a good start. My first thought was the throttle curve on the reverse side, but combining that with end point might be the one. Thanks. 

If you improve it, post back, i could probably do with sorting this myself.

I think i may have a different issue with my 1060 clone though.

Did some testing with Tx settings and got something useable, at the expense of being able to reverse. It's still in tje setting that allows reverse, but to get the brakessensible i have reduced the end point on the reverse side of the throttle channel to 50%. I have combined this with changing the throttle curve at point 1 (halfway along the reverse side) from 25% to 45%,whilst leaving the Point 2 neutral throttle at 50%. This makes the brakes a lot less sensitive to stick position, so if you brake using a bit of rearward stick travel its quite controllable. You still can't just jam the stick full rearwards and expect it to be subtle, but it's better. I have to say i preferred the brake feel of the TBLE02S in brushed mode. That said, given how sensitive this rwd car is to the brakes i am very tempted to put the tble02s back in with a 17.5 brushless so i can really tailor the brake response. 

On 6/23/2019 at 9:47 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Or alternatively, is a proper branded Hobbywing ESC much better? 

Thanks! 

The 1060 isn't that a great esc imo. The 1080 while slightly more expensive comes with a programing card meaning you can adjust parameters such as brakes or how aggressive your throttle response is. The other advantage is that the 1080 can handle a higher current and far more importantly it comes with longer wires out of the box. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Supercoolnothing said:

The 1060 isn't that a great esc imo. The 1080 while slightly more expensive comes with a programing card meaning you can adjust parameters such as brakes or how aggressive your throttle response is. The other advantage is that the 1080 can handle a higher current and far more importantly it comes with longer wires out of the box. 

Very good to know. Might get one of those then.