netsmithUK

TamiyaClub Episode 1: Wireless is out now...

I was going to wait until tomorrow as its quite late here in the UK, but just couldn't because I was too excited.

Thanks to Wireless for agreeing to be part of the first one. Even after heavy editing its still 38 mins long, so perhaps save it until you've got time time to sit down comfortably and enjoy it with a drink. If anyone wants to see the longer 'directors cut' version let me know and I'll take a look at making it available somewhere.

If you like it and want to see more, please like the video over on youTube and subscribe to the channel so you get alerted when we do the next one. I'm reviewing the list of 'volunteers' now and will be intouch with someone shortly, so keep your eye on your emails.

• Like 16

Well I enjoyed that a lot.

@netsmithUK  You're a deft hand at this actually, and struck just the right kind of documentary feel. Right down to the camera angles, and the time spent reflecting - then showcasing specific cars with a gentle pan. It works.

@Wireless great sentiments and stories...and it's always nice to see the early, non-hobby cars appreciated too. It was great to hear your story. The loft looks like a brilliant mess filled with goodies as well. And if your girlfriend still has the Taiyo Jeep and wants to sell it, let me know... (I'm curious to see if it's the early, non Radio Shack edition that took 5 'C' cells instead of 4...)

As old Mr Grace used to say, "You've all done very well!"

• Like 1

Thanks @Hibernaculum I certainly learned a lot from the process, which I think will help improve the next one. The main problem is once we got chatting, the time just flew by.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, netsmithUK said:

@Baddon Thanks :)

Interested to know how many people watch the whole thing.

I only skipped the part about the Kyosho

That was brilliant, really like the idea of getting to see members and their connection to the hobby. So much of what @Wireless said rang true with me...messing about with gadgets as a child, receiving toy grade R/Cs initially (mine were a Likto 610 Kenworth/Peterbilt truck and a Taiyo Thunder Van) and then discovering Beatties, with all of the glorious Tamiya kits and the mesmerising videos, where I ended up getting a Hotshot in 1985 and a Bigwig in 1986. I then moved on to Kyosho in 1987 and got an Optima Mid.

Also stumbled on TamiyaClub & discovered ebay in a very similar fashion. I have very distinct memories of setting my alarm clock to get up at 3am in the morning to bid on R/C stuff in other countries. This was obviously before auctionsniper. :lol:

I really miss those heady early days of ebay though when absolutely everything vintage, both kits & parts, were widely and regularly available. There was literally nothing that was unattainable.

@Hibernaculum I would really like to see you in one of these videos...although the trip to Oz might be a bit of a stretch for @netsmithUK. :P

I've been looking forward to watching this since it was announced.  Sadly work, family duties and event prep means I might not have time to watch until next Monday.

That said, I'm spending Friday evening in the company of avid RC collection and former TC member djderk, maybe we can crack open some beers and watch together.  He'd probably be a great subject to interview, I'll mention it to him on Friday and see if I can entice him back to TC :)

that was pretty good and didn't feel like a 38 min video to me. Looking forward to the next instalment :D

12 hours ago, Wandy said:

I really miss those heady early days of ebay though when absolutely everything vintage, both kits & parts, were widely and regularly available. There was literally nothing that was unattainable.

@Hibernaculum I would really like to see you in one of these videos...although the trip to Oz might be a bit of a stretch for @netsmithUK. :P

I too miss those early days of eBay. The bargains, and the first discovery that new in box vintage Tamiya items still actually existed... Whole kits even.

And then it began. The late night sniping on my early Pentium PC. The sending of money orders overseas, by mail. 

It has been 20yrs now, since I joined eBay and began buying Tamiya stuff. I watched Tamiyaclub before it became Tamiyaclub, lurking for several years and wondering if I should join in.

My first posts came when I finally decided to defend Nikko and the like... a lot of the “tone” back in those days, was a bit dismissive of non-hobby grade RC. ;) And I wanted to “out” everyone as having originally started their RC interest with very basic cars. These days, many of those cars are now proudly catalogued in showrooms. And some are even more collectable than the hobby grade models. 

When my father (who was a great fan of Tamiya also) died, I also posted about him. I was so gratified by the replies, I printed them all and still keep them inside an album of photos of my dad. That was nearly 14 years ago. 

Would be great to catch up if you’re ever visiting Australia, Chris.

Although Wandy is also a nearby target, so it would be good to see how many Mk1 Hotshots he is hiding :)

Rob. 

(And that’s probably the first time I’ve signed off as Rob in 14yrs too)

• Like 3

@Hibernaculum @Wandy I've always like other makes of models, from cheap and cheerful 'toy grade' upwards, basically anything that captures my imagination or is just really unusual. I think most of us are like that really, which is why we've always catered for 'other makes' in the showroom and on the database. Never spoke to a single member yet that does't have at least one none tamiya model in their collection. As I posted here. Talking to Wireless about the early days it reminded me of a model remote control/drive by wire big rig car I had very early on. I remember it being like a King Hauler, but I'm guessing I was much smaller back then and so was it. Kicking myself I can't remember the manufacturer now though :(

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=108241&id=1

If it hadn't been for this "Black Wolf" the club might never have existed.

Australia is definitely on my wish list, so if its possible I will get across there at some point. :)

My early recollection of ebay was that fact they didn't release new items in real time. You could sit and refresh the search page for an hour with nothing new appearing then all of a sudden a hundred new things would appear (probably something to do with caching/scaling on their servers at the time) I wrote a little flash app back in the day that just kept searching for new tamiya  'buy it now's and then notified me when the next batch dropped. Bagged me some real bargains at the time, but by the time I'd made it really robust and useful, ebay switched to real-time listings so it became pointless over night

Chris

• Like 3

Fantastic video @netsmithUK  , Great start . Funny how things trigger you into thinking of stuff you had forgotten .

Ebay was great in the early days , for pickinig up bargains . But alot didn't have pic's and you didn't know what you 

were getting :lol: .  @Wireless thanks  , Great collection . Minis are great fun :D  hours of fun , with a group of them ... 

I feel normal now :lol: ....

Brilliant !!!  Watched it all the way through and got totally engrossed. very well put together.  I suppose the people who show such a huge collection stashed away will be getting the inbox overloaded with enquires of "Hey mate, have you ever thought of selling xyz...." :lol:

I can't get over the fact that at a young age and driving a Tamiya first time that @Wireless didn't hit that concrete birdbath !!

Roll on Episode 2.

P.S I can remember my first eBay purchase too, nothing as flash as a Tamiya though, it was a DeWalt Mitre Saw, I still have it and still works great.

11 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

Although Wandy is also a nearby target, so it would be good to see how many Mk1 Hotshots he is hiding :)

Lol, only one Mk1 Rob....for now. ;)

I'm way too camera shy to let my mug be seen on "TV". :P

• Like 1

Watched it earlier, thank you Wireless for letting us see a glimpse of your life/hobby!

I was totally engrossed (apart from when my two monkeys were breaking my concentration) and thoroughly enjoyed it!

It's funny how (like when you read a book) how you get a perception of how somebody looks @netsmithUK and then in reality they look completely different to how you envisaged!

Bring on the next one! 😊

Great work Chris @netsmithUK ...! Turned out really well I think. Thanks to all for the positive feedback - I hope that my incessant droning didn't put you all to sleep :D Zzz 

@Re-Bugged Birdbath got away lightly I think. I probably nailed the car into something on my second run though...!

Just finished watching the episode. I loved it! Amazing collection @Wireless

@netsmithUK Your email about the new episode being released was send straight to my spam folder. Luckily I spotted it and got to see the video :)

I always love hearing stories about how people got into the hobby. What particular model(s) sparked the love for Tamiya or RC in general and the theory as to why. Usually it's not a conscious things, but only something you figure out down the line. Seeing an attic filled to the brim with amazing models is another great thing about this documentary.

Maybe it would be nice to have (if you don't already) a couple of questions you ask each person. First (Tamiya) RC of course, but also things like best memory from the hobby, best event, favourite current RC model, biggest struggle etc. All of these things I'd like to hear about from the TC members.

I'm very looking forward to the next episodes and maybe even participating in one. Keep up the good work, Chris!

@Tizer thanks for the feedback - think you are right about the 'questions' will definitely try and factor something into the next one (which I'm currently trying to arrange although my target/victim seems to have gone AWOL at the moment )

• Like 2

@netsmithUK Just noticed that the ‘Build tips & techniques’ section is now appearing under the ‘Sales & trades’ section as a sub-forum. Not a biggie but thought you might want to know. 

Watched it all in my lunch hour. Very good. I had a Falcon first too.