Sign in to follow this  
rossjmcgregor

Tamiya XV-01 newbie build issue

Hi, first time poster! My first foray into RC models was back in the day when I was 15. After a recent operation I wanted something to concentrate on while I convalesced, so I thought I’d build another, eventually settling on the XV-01 chassis. Everything went smoothly apart from when I tried driving it! It’s like it doesn’t have enough torque to take the skin off a rice pudding! (Vid here: https://youtu.be/Xj1vlGEOAEM )

Strangely, this is intermittent, as occasionally everything hooks up and it goes off at normal speeds. I’ve checked the ESC on an older model and it seems like I’ve set it up ok, so have I missed something obvious? 

Cheers,

Ross

I’d be tempted to open up the gearboxes and check for missing pins/shafts, open the diffs and check everything is where it should be.

it gives me the impression something is slipping and not passing the power along. 

• Thanks 1

Definitely sounds like something's slipping.

Does the XV-01 have a ball diffs or a gear diffs?  If it ball diffs, check it's tightened up properly.

Check all the drive pins behind the wheel hexes.  It's easy for one to slip out while you're tightening the wheels.

Check the pinion is tight on the motor and that the grub screw is tightened onto the flat.  If it's not properly seated it can come loose on its first use.

The XV-01 is belt driven, yes?  Check the belt is properly tightened and mounted the correct way round and the teeth are located in the pulleys.

If those quick checks don't reveal a problem then check the differential action of all four wheels and check if you can spin the motor by holding one wheel and spinning the opposite.  You might have to open the gearboxes to see what's going on inside.

• Thanks 1

Just opened up the diff, and found one of the metal drive pins was displaced- and not only that, but one of the nylon cogs was completely missing!! I maybe shouldn’t have done this the day after having general anaesthetic!:D

Good news, hopefully with that resolved and reassembled it’ll run as you’d hoped. What body are you putting on it?

I’ve got the standard lancia delta body, but I’ve also got the Toyota Yaris WRC body. Struggling to find wheels and tyres that’ll look good and work for rally however.

turned out I made the same mistake with the rear diff so hopefully it’ll be running at the weekend!