Jump to content
cliffw0970

Invade your personal space

Recommended Posts

As time spent on my new hobby starts to grow, so does the accumulation of 'STUFF'.  I've outstayed my welcome and been asked to vacate the dining room with immediate effect! Luckily I have a decent sized heated garage with a spare corner for my new hobby / obsession to move into.

I did a search but can find a thread on members workshops/work space (if there is one please point me in that direction)

So, I'm looking for inspiration, I have a blank canvass and wondered what everyone else has done with their little (or large) work space?

Get those pics up.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a look at this thread on rctech...

https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/351970-lets-see-picture-your-rc-work-area-home.html

Mine is the dining room table when i can get away with it (used it friday to monday just gone to build my latest toy) or my garage workbench. That is currently covered in dust from sanding my yacht though

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience, it's not the space, it's ME, that's the problem. 

No matter how big the space is, I end up filling it with junk.... For years, I've been looking for my caliper, mini bolt cutter, and mini file set.  So, my suggestion is don't be like me.  Start with an organized mind set.  Hobby is for fun, for sure.  But when it comes to organizing, think of it as "work" somebody entrusted you with.  You will thank yourself.  (...only if I can follow my own advice...)

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Juggular said:

In my experience, it's not the space, it's ME, that's the problem. 

No matter how big the space is, I end up filling it with junk.... For years, I've been looking for my caliper, mini bolt cutter, and mini file set.  So, my suggestion is don't be like me.  Start with an organized mind set.  Hobby is for fun, for sure.  But when it comes to organizing, think of it as "work" somebody entrusted you with.  You will thank yourself.  (...only if I can follow my own advice...)

 

Luckily you HAVE the junk, it's costing me a small fortune to accumulate mine, there's literally a delivery every day.

I don't grudge it though, it keeps me out of trouble at home and helps de-stress after work, worth every penny!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rule 1: Plan your space.

Rule 2: However much space you think you'll need, you're wrong. You'll need more.

Rule 3: Still not enough, add more space.

Rule 4: And a bit more.

Rule 5: Now add space for spare parts stashes, unfinished projects, random purchases, tyres, batteries, chargers, paints, glues etc.

As Juggular said, you'll still end up filling all available space. But if you start with a large area, it takes longer to fill it! :) 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember to think three-dimensionally. Build shelves. Then build more shelves.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its all ok ;p

Garage / Mancave / Workshop rule number 7 :

The more space you have, the more stuff you can't live without / really need, you will collect around you.

 

There is a little hoarder in all of us hidden :p

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Remember to think three-dimensionally. Build shelves. Then build more shelves.

I was going to do that but shelves take up space. Stackable boxes are the answer...unless you want to display, of course!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t forget the secret hidden space too, that only you know about and is  out of sight to avoid any awkward/ unnecessary/ confrontation/ questions that could upset a balanced household. 

This generally will need to be the biggest space of all 👍🏻

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I was going to do that but shelves take up space. Stackable boxes are the answer...unless you want to display, of course!!!

Stackable boxes are a great storage idea but usually the bits you want are in the box at the bottom of the pile...changing the order of the stack does not seem to improve this for some reason...its always the box at the bottom.

Maybe stackable boxes on shelves is the answer ?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some rules I've discovered after 10 years of trying to successfully store and catalog my RC collecion.  I'm sure these rules are not definitive but they may help in designing the perfect workspace.

1) No matter what size of stackable box you choose to store your models in, you will always find one model that is too big to go in it.

2) If your smaller cars (e.g. touring cars) will fit two-to-a-box you will never agree what two cars should be together in one box.

3) If you buy a whole bunch of matching parts organisers from a local cheap retailer to organise all your little parts into, at some point you will need to add another one or two more and the brand you bought will no longer be available

4) If you buy a parts organiser with 16 trays to organise all of your M3 stainless screw and nut hardware into, you will find you have 17 types of hardware to store in it

5) If you buy a parts organiser with removable dividers so you can get longer parts in (like shocks) you will find the longer shocks always go across more than half the width of the organiser, leaving you with loads of dead space, but all your smaller shocks fit neatly in a totally different organiser

6) If you store all your smaller nuts and washers in a parts organiser with removable dividers, the washers will forever slide under the dividers and get mixed up

7) If you buy a stackable drawer system to store big things like wheels, you will find all your touring wheels and all your buggy wheels and all your scaler wheels barely take up 1/5th of a drawer each but all your monster truck wheels take 2.5 drawers.  And you only have 4 drawers.

8) If you have a spare drawer and you think "I know, I'll put all my spare transmitters in there" you'll find all but one of your transmitters will fit and you have absolutely no idea what to do with the one over, besides selling it

9) If you build some shelves to display your cars on, your cars will get absolutely covered in dust

10) If you have more display cars than shelf space, you'll promise yourself you'll rotate them every month but you won't

11) If a car stays on a shelf long enough to accumulate a 2mm covering of dust, the effort required to clean it will be too great to make it worth cleaning and it will remain on the shelf forever

12) Any car that isn't securely boxed away at the bottom of the pile will become a temporary wheel / servo / receiver donor when working on a new project

13) Any car that has temporarily donated wheels / servos / receivers to a new project will not run again until you temporarily donate wheels / servos / receivers from another car that isn't securely boxed away at the bottom of the pile

14) Stackable boxes will seem like a really, really neat idea until you try to load them all into your hatchback for a trip to the beach

15) Taking your cars out of the stackable boxes to get more into your hatchback for a trip to the beach will seem like a really, really neat idea until you have to stack them on your nice clean seats and carpets all covered in sand and saltwater to get them home

16) Putting your cars into stackable boxes to bring them home from the beach so you don't get sand and saltwater all over your hatchback will seem like a really, really neat idea until a month later when you finally have time to get them out to play again and remember that you forgot to clean them after the last time out, and everything has turned a lovely shade of green and is starting to smell like a fish market at 6pm on a sunny afternoon

17) The bigger you make your workbench, the more random boxes, tubs, tools and parts you'll store on it

18) Any flat space automatically turns into a storage space unless something is already being stored on it

19) If you make just one flat workbench you'll end up using it for sawing and drilling metal parts, building new kits, and painting.  As such your new kits will get covered in paint dust and your new paint will get full of metal swarf

20) If you make a separate curtained workbench purely for spraying, it will be used for storage before you get a chance to paint in it

21) If you don't put heating/cooling in your workshop you'll never be in it

22) If you put heating/cooling in your workshop you'll never be in your house

23) If you keep your bicycle in your RC workshop, it will be used to hang parts on

24) If you work on your bicycle in your RC workshop, your RC workbench will be used to store bicycle parts

25) If you have automotive tools, they will be buried beneath RC parts and tools

26) If you create a nice safe and airy walkway between the door and the workbench, you will use it to stack boxes until it is a cramped, narrow, awkward and dangerous alley in which one false move could send a dozen badly-stacked boxes to the floor (along with all the un-boxed stuff that you have stored on top of the boxes, see rule #18)

27) If you don't store your cars in boxes they will become homes for spiders

28) If you store your cars in boxes, the boxes will become death traps for spiders

29) If you store your boxes in an undisturbed corner they will be claimed by spider gangs and not relinquished without a major turf war from which you may not emerge victorious, or even alive

30) If you go away on holiday for more than 2 days, first thing you will do is open your workshop to see if anyone has stolen your RC collection

31) If you leave a box unopened for more than 2 years, its contents will (by powers not yet understood) be replaced by cars and parts that you have never seen before and would probably not have bought if you had, and which are worth significantly less than the cars and parts that you originally stored there

32) If you pack away parts that are not broken and do not disturb them for more than 3 years, there is a high likelihood that they will be broken when you retrieve them

33) If you pack away parts that are broken and do not disturb them for more than 3 years, there is a high likelihood that they will still be broken when you retrieve them

34) Trying to catalog your servo collection by part number is folly

35) You will never be satisfied with the storage location for your non-LiPo safe speed controllers

36) You will never use your non-LiPo safe speed controllers

37) You will never sell your non-LiPo safe speed controllers

38) There is no such thing as a perfect workspace

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

38) There is no such thing as a perfect workspace

Not sure about that one...a shed the size of an aircraft hanger might come close.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Not sure about that one...a shed the size of an aircraft hanger might come close.

If you had the budget for a shed that size, you'd probably have the budget to (over-) fill it... 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙄

02787B38-7D44-413B-AF87-68A9F772807F.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mad Ax, hilarious this made me really laugh, apart from it's true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Swarm said:

🙄

02787B38-7D44-413B-AF87-68A9F772807F.jpeg

Recall visiting my uncle in Oz many years ago - his garage could easily hold 4 cars and his shed was even bigger - the neighbouring houses all had similar facilities ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. It takes a few minutes to mess up your rc area.

2. you’ll likely spend hundreds or thousands of minutes messing up your rc area. 

3. It will be months before you can be f**ked tidying it all back up again. 

4. Since your rc area is a mess you’ll move the next project back out to the dining room table. 

5. When you mess up the dining table again, it’s likely you’ll be motivated (or told) to clean it up sooner rather than later.

6. After being kicked out of the living area, you’ll clean up your rc area. 

7. Rinse, repeat...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Stackable boxes are a great storage idea but usually the bits you want are in the box at the bottom of the pile...changing the order of the stack does not seem to improve this for some reason...its always the box at the bottom.

Maybe stackable boxes on shelves is the answer ?

So true. I’m compiling content lists to attach to the boxes to speed up the sifting process. It works for the non-Tamiya stuff in the loft.

The problem with adding racking for the boxes is it eats into the workable space in my 1950s garage and there is dead space between the shelves. 

I wish I could have a space like @Swarm!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Here's some rules I've discovered after 10 years of trying to successfully store and catalog my RC collecion.  I'm sure these rules are not definitive but they may help in designing the perfect workspace.

1) No matter what size of stackable box you choose to store your models in, you will always find one model that is too big to go in it.

2) If your smaller cars (e.g. touring cars) will fit two-to-a-box you will never agree what two cars should be together in one box.

3) If you buy a whole bunch of matching parts organisers from a local cheap retailer to organise all your little parts into, at some point you will need to add another one or two more and the brand you bought will no longer be available

4) If you buy a parts organiser with 16 trays to organise all of your M3 stainless screw and nut hardware into, you will find you have 17 types of hardware to store in it

5) If you buy a parts organiser with removable dividers so you can get longer parts in (like shocks) you will find the longer shocks always go across more than half the width of the organiser, leaving you with loads of dead space, but all your smaller shocks fit neatly in a totally different organiser

6) If you store all your smaller nuts and washers in a parts organiser with removable dividers, the washers will forever slide under the dividers and get mixed up

7) If you buy a stackable drawer system to store big things like wheels, you will find all your touring wheels and all your buggy wheels and all your scaler wheels barely take up 1/5th of a drawer each but all your monster truck wheels take 2.5 drawers.  And you only have 4 drawers.

8) If you have a spare drawer and you think "I know, I'll put all my spare transmitters in there" you'll find all but one of your transmitters will fit and you have absolutely no idea what to do with the one over, besides selling it

9) If you build some shelves to display your cars on, your cars will get absolutely covered in dust

10) If you have more display cars than shelf space, you'll promise yourself you'll rotate them every month but you won't

11) If a car stays on a shelf long enough to accumulate a 2mm covering of dust, the effort required to clean it will be too great to make it worth cleaning and it will remain on the shelf forever

12) Any car that isn't securely boxed away at the bottom of the pile will become a temporary wheel / servo / receiver donor when working on a new project

13) Any car that has temporarily donated wheels / servos / receivers to a new project will not run again until you temporarily donate wheels / servos / receivers from another car that isn't securely boxed away at the bottom of the pile

14) Stackable boxes will seem like a really, really neat idea until you try to load them all into your hatchback for a trip to the beach

15) Taking your cars out of the stackable boxes to get more into your hatchback for a trip to the beach will seem like a really, really neat idea until you have to stack them on your nice clean seats and carpets all covered in sand and saltwater to get them home

16) Putting your cars into stackable boxes to bring them home from the beach so you don't get sand and saltwater all over your hatchback will seem like a really, really neat idea until a month later when you finally have time to get them out to play again and remember that you forgot to clean them after the last time out, and everything has turned a lovely shade of green and is starting to smell like a fish market at 6pm on a sunny afternoon

17) The bigger you make your workbench, the more random boxes, tubs, tools and parts you'll store on it

18) Any flat space automatically turns into a storage space unless something is already being stored on it

19) If you make just one flat workbench you'll end up using it for sawing and drilling metal parts, building new kits, and painting.  As such your new kits will get covered in paint dust and your new paint will get full of metal swarf

20) If you make a separate curtained workbench purely for spraying, it will be used for storage before you get a chance to paint in it

21) If you don't put heating/cooling in your workshop you'll never be in it

22) If you put heating/cooling in your workshop you'll never be in your house

23) If you keep your bicycle in your RC workshop, it will be used to hang parts on

24) If you work on your bicycle in your RC workshop, your RC workbench will be used to store bicycle parts

25) If you have automotive tools, they will be buried beneath RC parts and tools

26) If you create a nice safe and airy walkway between the door and the workbench, you will use it to stack boxes until it is a cramped, narrow, awkward and dangerous alley in which one false move could send a dozen badly-stacked boxes to the floor (along with all the un-boxed stuff that you have stored on top of the boxes, see rule #18)

27) If you don't store your cars in boxes they will become homes for spiders

28) If you store your cars in boxes, the boxes will become death traps for spiders

29) If you store your boxes in an undisturbed corner they will be claimed by spider gangs and not relinquished without a major turf war from which you may not emerge victorious, or even alive

30) If you go away on holiday for more than 2 days, first thing you will do is open your workshop to see if anyone has stolen your RC collection

31) If you leave a box unopened for more than 2 years, its contents will (by powers not yet understood) be replaced by cars and parts that you have never seen before and would probably not have bought if you had, and which are worth significantly less than the cars and parts that you originally stored there

32) If you pack away parts that are not broken and do not disturb them for more than 3 years, there is a high likelihood that they will be broken when you retrieve them

33) If you pack away parts that are broken and do not disturb them for more than 3 years, there is a high likelihood that they will still be broken when you retrieve them

34) Trying to catalog your servo collection by part number is folly

35) You will never be satisfied with the storage location for your non-LiPo safe speed controllers

36) You will never use your non-LiPo safe speed controllers

37) You will never sell your non-LiPo safe speed controllers

38) There is no such thing as a perfect workspace

This is amazing. You effort was fully worth it :-)

Just bought a bench and the first shelving unit...............so it begins!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Swarm said:

🙄

02787B38-7D44-413B-AF87-68A9F772807F.jpeg

Is this a pic of your workspace or one you found as an example of a perfect workspace? Thats pretty much what i have in mind, when i move out of the city and have the space. It even has a boat about the size of my boat (which as per number 19 of @Mad Ax list has covered my work bench in metal swarf and dust) and a bunch of tools I want but will use once a year. The only thing its missing, which I assume is out of shot, is the home brew setup...

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it my Shed / Garage it’s 10 metres long  X 6 metres wide.

No home brew setup as I don’t drink , it has a fireplace for those chilly days we get here every now and then - decked out with a sound system and a  tv of course.

The tools are on mobile islands depending on the job at hand.

I installed the fluro lighting / strip lighting and power points myself - nothing worse than poor lighting , must have many good lights and power sockets throughout.

As mentioned earlier by a member it’s not uncommon in Australia for almost every household that has the space to have a decent sized shed or man cave - you have lofts in the UK and Europe the US has basements and garages ,  I guess we have big sheds / garages down under .

😃

 

5BB7AC15-1E63-49F8-A252-D2E747727212.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve also been requested to leave the dining room table as eating surrounded my tamiya cars isn’t as joyous to others in my house ;)

had to buy a shed but I only have space for 6x8 (foot people - not meters!!)

so it’s gonna be cosy but hey ho!

my friend is 3D printing me wall hangers for the cars 

old kitchen workshop

industrial power trunking 

plenty of insulation

Feature wall 

heating (I hope)

cant wait :)

 

JJ

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...