daddycool

Best grease to keep my DF03 alloy shaft from melting

Hi

After reading lots of posts from 2012 about how hard it is to get hold of the five stars steel shaft for the Dark Impact, I wager I have zero hope in 2019. Only option is to use some decent grease on the gears - what is the recommendation? I have the slipper gear on order hopefully that will help.

Thanks, Kris 

Im keen to hear about this too (youre right there is zero chance of finding a fivestars one) - i did fit the main shaft that came in the df03 slipper kit as opppsed to the standard kit one. The one in the slipper kit does appear to have a different coating on it - hopefully a hard anodising or similar. Its much darker than the silvery alloy standard one. I did attempt to make some with some steel pinions having used a vice to press the old gear off the shaft but i couldnt get it to work properly as the only pinions i could find didnt have the teeth cut all the way along the gear if that makes sense.

• Like 1

If it's the gears, I use Labelle 106 or 206 Teflon (PTFE) greases.  

106 has the consistency of Tamiya supplied ceramic grease. 106 has been the solution for a dozen gears in Konghead.    

206, on the other hand, is a bit more sticky (for better protection).  206 is nowhere as sticky as Anti-Wear grease, just little more so than ceramic grease.  If it's the wear you are worried about, I would give Labelle 206 grease a try.  

Teflon grease is not a magic solution (despite how often I mention it), but it might help a little.  

nB5WB6D.jpg

9 hours ago, daddycool said:

Only option is to use some decent grease on the gears

It's not the only option.

You can press off the alloy gear,  and press on a hardened gear.

This is a thread from the 2nd one is made.

It's done years of hard labor, and still sweet.

Even the revco pinions are seemingly harder to get these days, so someone on the DF03 Facebook page has found a company that will make the gear to order, (just the gear, you'll still need a vice or press to remove the old gear and fit the new one)

2019-06-26_09-20-22

Link of the page, on how to press the old one off and the new one one, with a vice instead of a hydraulic press.

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTEwMDAxMzAwNjMyNzIzNzpWSzozNTI5NDU1NjE5NTEzMTg%3D 

• Thanks 1

So thats a steel shaft and the 2 gears are part of it?

Edit.. Sorry, didnt see the other replies!

17 minutes ago, graemevw said:

So thats a steel shaft and the 2 gears are part of it?

I presume so, not actually seen one in the flesh (So to speak)

Had a quick check the other day, on the one I made first (before the one i did a thread for) , after years of bashing with a 5700kv / 3s , some speed runs with 5700kv /5s and more recently 7700kv / 3s , still sweet.

2019-06-26_09-32-24

On a side note, these are ,Yeah racing UJ driveshafts, showing significant wear.

2019-06-26_09-32-49

And the difference between the, now hard to find, 3racing (right) and yeah racing (left) driveshafts (snapped a wheel off in an argument with park bench).

2019-06-26_09-33-07

• Thanks 1