Hi all,

New to builds, having had my Dad make me a Super Blackfoot as a kid. My cousin had a LB, and I always loved how mental it was to drive😂

My missus bought me one as a gift back in February and having put it all together, and immediately crashing it, I decided I wanted to look at making it fun but better to drive.

To date I’ve installed a Tamiya Sports Tuned motor, metal bearings, and this evening I’ve installed oil filled shocks. Having just taken it out, it seems to sit better under load.

I will say it pulls a touch to the left, and I’m almost certain that the wheels are spinning inside the tyres.

So my questions are the following:

How can I make the car better than stock beyond those adjustments?

Should I have replaced the pinion with the motor upgrade?

Foam in the tyres or not bother?

What’s the best battery setup to choose?

Where can I get a transmission strut brace in the UK, as I don’t want to do the 5th shock mod?

Sanding down the damage on the body for re-spraying, what’s the best process?

Sorry, lots of questions but I’m very new to this.

Kind Regards,

Carl

00D823E5-A674-4034-9D13-11E96776B126.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome! Sounds like you have done most of the good hop ups. I think the pinion will be fine. 

For the rear tyres, dab some all purpose glue or rubber cement around the wheel rims and pop the tyres back on. 

For the trans brace, get the AMPRO item on Shapeways. Just google it. 

I am sure others will be along with more advice. 

• Thanks 1

Look up the fishing line mod, it works well. I have a 13.5t brushless in mine and this mod sorted it out loads.

Double front suspension arms are good, but costly and a bit of making stuff needed (i chose crp over ampro due to strength worries).

You can use heavy dump truck spike tyres for more grip (same as lunchbox but with spikes too)

2s lipo makes them go a bit better.

I have foams but not sure id bother if i was buiding it again unless i was going for high speeds.

Having said all that, i think you have done whats needed to sort its main issues.

• Thanks 1

Awesome thanks. Would you be able to get the tyres off the rims without damage? Thanks.

Is there a better motor than the Sport Tuned 540, I’m not adverse to changing that.

I’ve seen the Ampro stuff, but I couldn’t see a UK seller, only import?

Spike tyres sound great, I’ll have a look at that.

Where’s the best place to buy a 2s lipo? The batteries I’ve seen some have a different connection, and sit inside the tub?

Did you just cut any foam to fit inside the tyre? Seems a cheap upgrade, if it offers more balance?

Anyone tried a strut brace across the suspension arms? Would that be worth doing?

I’ll check out the other two suggestions now.

Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Depends what glue you use. 

I’ve got some rubber cement, that I bought to refit a piece on some trainers that peeled around the edge?

The rubber cement should be fine.

I got my lipos from ebay, all manufacturers have different sizes and cable placement, measure and see what would work. READ UP ON LIPO THOUGH.

I used foams from some cheap chinese monster truck, hard to find ones that fit.

Ampro stuff has to be imported from usa from shapeways

I fitted a brace between the front shocks, no idea if it helps though😂

As for motors, the sport tuned will be fine, unless you want daft fast, in which case its entirely up to you.

Some of us like to over power lunchboxes just for a laugh 😉

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Carl888 said:

What motor should I get to make it daft fast?😂

Whatever motor, esc and battery combo your wallet can deal with along with a never ending supply of spares for it breaking every time you drive it.

Fancy a go at beating the fastest lunchbox on here? Whos was it again? Was it 55mph?

That is amazing! I think I’ll give that a miss. I’m surprised that you can’t get ahold of metal gearing? Seems like that would be better than the plastic supplied.

I would stick to the standard tires, the GF spike ones are great but are softer and have way more grip in corners. The lunchy will slide less and tipp over a lot more. 

I have two LB one stock front and one double wishbone and I must confess with the right oil damper setup stock wasn't that bad and way better on jumping.

I do have front and rear braces to reinforce where the dampers attach to the tub plus a fifth shock. Kind of looks cooler than al the other solutions.

Aluminium body mounts from UK eBay seller.

You can also center the servo but need equal length (longer) steering links.

And to remove most of the slop on the front I out some washers and shims here and there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I opted for all the Ampro mods as you have to import them, with the different wheels it handles ace. Although not like a Lunchbox any more.

43550B0B-37A8-427B-B1A5-0D63A75BF69A.jpeg

79FCCF88-D5C0-467E-81E2-7FD7521A2F50.jpeg

2D245874-E347-489F-B4D7-E656278F17CE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2019 at 7:28 PM, waterbok said:

I would stick to the standard tires, the GF spike ones are great but are softer and have way more grip in corners. The lunchy will slide less and tipp over a lot more. 

I have two LB one stock front and one double wishbone and I must confess with the right oil damper setup stock wasn't that bad and way better on jumping.

I do have front and rear braces to reinforce where the dampers attach to the tub plus a fifth shock. Kind of looks cooler than al the other solutions.

And to remove most of the slop on the front I out some washers and shims here and there.

Awesome advice. Thanks! Where do you get the front and rear braces please?

23 hours ago, Cephas said:

I opted for all the Ampro mods as you have to import them, with the different wheels it handles ace. Although not like a Lunchbox any more.

43550B0B-37A8-427B-B1A5-0D63A75BF69A.jpeg

79FCCF88-D5C0-467E-81E2-7FD7521A2F50.jpeg

2D245874-E347-489F-B4D7-E656278F17CE.jpeg

That looks incredible! Love it! I am tempted by the AmPro transmission brace, I just hate the thought of paying more in shipping than the part!

I’d like the best possible battery to fit with the setup I have, ideally one that fits in the tub? I had a look on eBay at LiPo batteries, but I’m not clued up enough to understand the connections and how they differ.

Any ideas on wet sanding to respray the shell where it’s rolled?

Thanks

On 6/27/2019 at 7:28 PM, waterbok said:

Have you centered the servo?

Servo, yeah you can move it more to the side so the rotating is in the middle, you have to make a hole for that.

Braces are DIY.

I did a thread on Tamiyabase on the lunchy so you could check over there, same user name.

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2019 at 10:57 PM, waterbok said:

Servo, yeah you can move it more to the side so the rotating is in the middle, you have to make a hole for that.

Braces are DIY.

I did a thread on Tamiyabase on the lunchy so you could check over there, same user name.

Ok thanks 

So, I’ve lined the tyres with foam to harden them up. I’ve set the shocks up for a firmer ride. Going to try that, and then rubber cement them once I’m sure I prefer that.

I wet sanded the body and re-sprayed the damage. I also re-sat the servo, so the LB runs straight without trimming.

Definitely going to order new batteries, I’d like one that doesn’t sit in the lower housing.

Any tips on improving the wheelie bar, and strut mounts? I’ve seen you can order threaded bars online, is this sufficient?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Carl888 said:

Definitely going to order new batteries, I’d like one that doesn’t sit in the lower housing. 

Some members have changed the battery position , but be careful as it changes the centre of gravity and the LB is always good for a roll over at the best of times .

3mm threaded rod is fine for braces , use Tamiya turnbuckle ends to fix . I've braced 2 of my LB's this way , and I've got larger wheelie wheels on them

• Thanks 1

Awesome thanks. I tried the LB tonight just on a tarmac road. I think the combination of oil shocks and foamed tyres have almost made it too hard of a ride. At one point as the rear wheels went over the drop kerb the car did a front flip and landed on its roof?!?

If using foamed tyres, should I reduce the suspension hardness?

Thanks. 

It's worth experimenting with chassis tuning , some say foam in the tyres is of no benefit , I think it helps somewhat , mostly on cornering . The shock oil and spring combination that you're using could have a bearing on things . The quickest way to check tuning is to remove the foams and see if it makes any difference , if not then move on to the dampers . Don't forget the LB is a lively machine and doesn't want to be tamed ;)

• Thanks 1

Yeah I think overall it’s improved the handling. It’s just such a hard ride now, vs the springing stock look. I guess I was hoping it’d soak up more bumps, but be more stable in harsh cornering. Maybe I’m looking for it to be too balanced. Would a LiPo battery improve the speed of the LB? If so what should I look for please?

Thanks.

Hi all, sorry to be a pain. Just need an answer to something. In the instructions it seems to suggest you should remove the screws placed in the image below. Am I reading this wrongly as I’ve not taken them out and it seems fine?