Collin

Shapeways Shop, who has one and whats your experience?

I spotted some TC members on Shapeways. I have a shop too and got my first customer today, after a few month. I was preety picky doing the design and did several modifications bevor uploading to the shop. Hope that customers are satisfied too. What if not? 

So what are your experiences selling via SW in general?

Not sure if I call it a shop, but think I have four or five items on SW atm. I don't have added a charge on the parts I offer, so don't make any money with what gets sold.  No complaints so far.

It are small items so bit unhappy about current pricing and shipment prices. 

Material quality for my designs seems to be ok and take the abuse.

I have a Shapeways shop too and I also work in the Shapeways Eindhoven facility :) I'm the team lead of the distribution center, so anything you guys order (Europe anyway) gets shipped by my team.

I hope you guys all have a good experience with Shapeways :)

I've sold quite a few bits across the world. It's hard to get feedback though as many people who order from the Shapeways shop don't bother looking at who the designer is for any particular part. A lot gets ordered from multiple 'shops' at the same time. I'm thinking about moving all of my inventory to Etsy, since Shapeways now is integrated on that platform.

I just had my first customer and what I´d like to know is how he/she liked my design. Also I saw that the person did not order enough of one article to comlete the conversion. Its a pitty that I cannot get directly in touch with customers.

Also I got a request this week if I could model some Top Force parts in reinforced version. Feels great!

• Like 1

You can send a customer a message right after they order something :) You should have an email from Shapeways congratulating you on your sale with the option in there to message the customer. Unless that person used a guest account.

You can think of moving your shop inventory to Etsy. Etsy is a much more complete platform for selling stuff like this with shop reviews etc. The only downside is that it won't be possible for a customer to order from multiple shops at the same time and get it all shipped together.

Seems like the customer orderd as a guest. This is two weeks ago now and I cant see any sold items in my statistics : ( canacelled maybe...

I will have a look at Etsy.

I have one, too.

Regarding customer orders:

I know most of my customers, support them at the races and I am in contact with them via Whatsapp.

In the item description I always encourage them to contact me before purchasing and give them a link to read my info threads.

Still, one guy I don’t know made a huge order once (far over 100€). It made no real sense in its composition to me, as he also needs carbon parts for my conversions, I really wondered why he didn’t contact me... He also didn’t cancel the order... That was strange.

Two or three times a year I get around 50€ transferred from Shapeways. It is not much, but I like that.

This is my shop:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kr-modellautosport-teile

Yep.

13 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

Still, one guy I don’t know made a huge order once (far over 100€). It made no real sense in its composition to me, as he also needs carbon parts for my conversions, I really wondered why he didn’t contact me... He also didn’t cancel the order... That was strange.

I had the same thing short while ago and asked back, the guy just wanted to tinker out som irregular things. :D As long as you have a propper description for your parts everyting is on customers responsibility. ever had any issues with the quality of my parts via shapeways and I am a bit curious becaus of all bearing seats. You have a certain tollerance on press passings and I testprint all parts but at a local printshop which uses the same hardware then SW. So it should be allright then.

Precision fit is difficult. I write in the description, that there could be a need to sand the seats for a perfect fit.

Shapeways has differing tolerances... Even though it should be the same everytime.