Juggular

CR01 worth the money?

I'm in the process of unlocking the front axle on a completely-locked CC01.  (I would like better turning radius, and it will have ample putty)  The putty is strong enough to turn the motor by turning one wheel (diff will engage if turned slowly).  I plan to keep the rear locked.  I hope that sticky front and locked rear would be a good compromise.  

That got me thinking about a dedicated crawler, CR01.  Would it be worth 4 times the money?  I'm not really a crawler guy.  The last (failed) attempt was TLT1 (which has a very weak center diff which turns it into 2wd when you need 4wd -- I haven't installed the plastic pegs to remedy it).  Considering how CR01 the only dedicated Tamiya crawler, I haven't heard it mentioned much.  What's the verdict on CR01?  

The cheapest CR-01 (as I recall) is a Rock Socker, at around £250 GBP (and around $300 USD) - that gives you the chassis, but the lexan truck body isn't the most scale thing ever.

Personally speaking, unless you particularly want to 'keep it Tamiya', there are plenty of other crawler chassis kits out there for similar money - and you can even buy a half-way decent RTR crawler for around the £300 mark these days, that is likely to out-perform the CR-01 out of the box, and have a healthy upgrade aftermarket support too.

I do feel Tamiya have missed out (or at least consciously chosen to avoid) the current trend for scale crawler and trail vehicles - ironic really when they have always made arguably the best scale hard-bodies of any RC manufacturer... 

Yes, I know I sound like a broken record on this subject... on this subject... on this subject... on this subject... on this subject...

That said, I would consider building something around the CR-01 platform, just because I have such an affection for the Tamiya brand - but I'd have to concede that for actual scale looks and crawling performance, there are better options out there for the same or similar money.

Jenny x

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I agree with Jenny, look elsewhere for a crawler. I remember the first time I drove a kitted out CR-01, I was hugely disappointed. Why is the battery up top out the back? Is it a wheelie machine? I like the CC-01 much better myself. You could always try the MF01X if you want to stick with Tamiya, but it is a for pottering along trails really.

I would look at the Axial, GMade, RC4WD, or MST's offerings or similar 

• Thanks 1

I have some version or another of nearly every crawler made by other companies (Axial, MST, Traxxas, Vanquish, etc), and go out on the trails quite often.  I always overlooked the CR01, never gave it a second thought.  Last year I purchased one from a forum member and am so happy I did, I really love this truck.  Sure, it's not as capable as some of the traditional 4-link crawlers out there in extreme settings, but it is extremely capable when driven properly and will keep up with most of them through normal trail duties and mild crawling.  I've really grown to love it because of how unique and well built it is, I've been running it a lot lately.

I've kept mine mostly stock, just locked diffs, 4 wheel steering, and mounted the battery up front.  Aso have the Cliff Crawler tires, have found these to work very well for a stock Tamiya tire.  Compared to a CC01 you will love it, I know a lot of people like the CC but the're all but useless for anything but mild trail riding.  In short I would recommend getting one.  They are a bit pricey new, but knowing what I know now I'd buy another.  

IMG_5327.JPG

IMG_5333.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Recently bought a rock Socker to build, sold the body straight away and purchased the land rover body to replace it, not driven yet but the build was really good and all seems solid enough! 

The main problem with this chassis is it's too expensive! I feel the price point of £200 is about right but nib sale bargains are rare at this price point (I managed it eventually with the bronco as well)

I bought an FJ Cruiser from Tamico when it was on offer and found a Rock Socker on eBay for £200 from a U.K. seller but bargains don’t come around that often.

Given the crawler competition, I would say £200 for the Rock Socker is pretty good compared with an Axial builders kit or the HPI Venture build kit (if it comes back) given that the Socker gives you a body, motor, wheels and tyres.

I did quite a bit of reading on here and, other than driveshafts the stock CR-01 doesn’t really need hop-ups - performance-wise it is ‘its own thing’ and will never be a comp crawler (without modding that means it isn’t really a CR-01 anymore) or a scaler (just look at it!!!).

I still have yet to build either of mine - stuck in a queue - but I am looking forward to them having read the manual several times and got myself some radio gear for 4WS and Hobbywing crawler ESC

Celebrate it for what it is - a Tamiya!

• Like 3

A long while ago I received a Venom Creeper 2.2 crawler from my wife for Xmas. That thing ran really well, keeping up with anything Axial had released at the time. A couple years ago I grabbed a CR01 and as many aftermarket and genuine hop ups as I could. The CR01 is 1000 times better quality wise, what I would actually like to do is get/build a trailer to hook up to the CR01, and tow the Venom as it looks like a full comp crawler.

• Like 1

Bought mine when it was on offer at Tamico a while back for around £200. It's fun in a slow kind of way, plus unlocking the diffs means you can run it much like a normal buggy as well. I've set mine up with a Spektrum Dx5c with switchable 4ws - front, front & rear, crab and rear only - which keeps it interesting to run. Only upgraded the drive shafts to Steel JunFac ones and added the extra clearance lower links. I'm not sure either was necessary however. They're a great quality build and definitely worth a serious look. 

DSC_0003

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Compared to a CC01 you will love it, I know a lot of people like the CC but the're all but useless for anything but mild trail riding. 

This is not true. I have re-built and upgraded my CC-01. Did a lot of mods as well and it can crawl. Not as extreme as the class 2 crawlers (SCX10, TRX4, and the likes) but it can crawl and I haven't even locked any of the diffs yet (will lock the front diff soon though). So the CC-01 isn't just for trailing if set up right.

4gdlFF9h.jpg

uV2Mq74h.jpg

EWKhOeih.jpg

ugxgwrkh.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

This is not true. I have re-built and upgraded my CC-01. Did a lot of mods as well and it can crawl. Not as extreme as the class 2 crawlers (SCX10, TRX4, and the likes) but it can crawl and I haven't even locked any of the diffs yet (will lock the front diff soon though). So the CC-01 isn't just for trailing if set up right.

Nice CC01, looks great!  Of course when you modify something to that extent and add large tires it will crawl over anything it wants to.  I have a few custom plate chassis TA01 Hummers that will keep up with just about anything.  I always like a good challenge in taking a "lesser" vehicle and making it as capable as purpose built crawlers.

I was just making the point that without serious modification and in stock or nearly stock form, ther CR01 will greatly outperform the CC01.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's worth the $311 USD (including shipping) it takes to buy a Rock Socker from RCMart; it's not worth the $500 USD MAP to get it from a US-based retailer.

Some of the latest "builder's kits" available from other brands are the way to go right now.  You're going to want different tires, different wheels, different springs and shocks, hardened prop shafts and axles anyhow.  So why start with a kit where only half the parts will be used?  Just build it the way you like starting with one of these stripped-down builder's kits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do love the chassis kits that everyone is selling nowadays, saves from having lots of extra transmitters, electronics, wheel/tires, and bodies around that I would most likely not use anyway.  Just built one of the little MST CFX kits that I plan on using a Blackfoot shell on.  Nice to spend $180 for a decent chassis that I can make my own for under $200USD.

I would also agree that the CR01 is worth around $300 for a kit.  $500 here in the US is pretty crazy, definitely wouldnt spend that on the CR01.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

It's worth the $311 USD (including shipping) it takes to buy a Rock Socker from RCMart; it's not worth the $500 USD MAP to get it from a US-based retailer.

Some of the latest "builder's kits" available from other brands are the way to go right now.  You're going to want different tires, different wheels, different springs and shocks, hardened prop shafts and axles anyhow.  So why start with a kit where only half the parts will be used?  Just build it the way you like starting with one of these stripped-down builder's kits.

Would you recommend a few?  There are so many out there, I feel like I noob who has never even seen the Grasshopper. 

I've been eyeing on MST CFX, but I just can't live without diffs... my CC01 squeals on the wooden floor because of locked diff.  That bothers me 10 times more than a neighbor kid riding a bicycle with an ultra-squeaky chain that lets everybody know where he is at all times... or maybe I should learn to live with no diff, if I'm ever going to crawl?    

I'm sure you've seen the cr-01 manual? The diffs can be locked/unlocked within a few minutes depending on where you run, there's a grub screw cover and a bolt.

The rock socker just needs steel pinion and ball bearings

• Like 1

Excactly, the CR01 is nice because you do not have to dissasemble the axle to lock or unlock the diffs.  If you're going to use it as a crawler I don't know why you'd ever want to run them unlocked as the truck (or any truck for that matter) is much more capable fully locked.  If you really like the idea of unlocked diffs for normal driving and want to do some crawling get the TRX-4.  Lockable diffs from the transmitter as well as a 2-speed transmission, doesnt get any better than that.

The MST is really nice for what it is.  I only bought it as a base for a Blackfoot body build because it is so small.  If it were going to be my only crawler I'd get a larger truck (TRX4, SCX10.2), but it's nice to have some variety.

• Like 3

I've had six CR's over the years, have sold off 4 of them, 2 I still have. (and will keep!)

No, they will not crawl like a dedicated trail truck such as an Axial, MST, etc. without serious modification. They will do trail running just fine though. My 2 have been pretty heavily modified and they can hold their own out in the wild no problem. Biggest issue with them is the steering angle. Someone really needs to make a set of CVD's. 

They are a very satisfying Tamiya build though. Complicated truck and a thick manual. Just what I like from Tamiya. 

It's a very unique platform. From the very strong planetary transmission to the cantilever suspension. There's nothing like it on the market. The chassis design is kinda Meccano in nature - with all the holes you can easily move components around. 

I've had a blast with mine. If you like to tinker, it's a great chassis. Built like a tank too, other than the center driveshafts, I've never broken a single part.

My 2 cents. 

On a side note, I will say that I bought all mine in the $300 range here in the US...with the MAP price increase over here, it nearly doubled in price. I won't be buying another. It's simply now too expensive for what it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ha! Don't know how, but you guys have convinced me that I need a CR-01: my wife is now buying me a Rock Socker for our wedding anniversary present! 

She says I need a car that I can run anywhere without fear of damaging it... 😮

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, martinjpayne said:

Ha! Don't know how, but you guys have convinced me that I need a CR-01

lol... that's the magic of Tamiya Club!  

I've done that quite a few times myself and I think that's a happy result.  

I think I might get MST CFX.  I like the fact that CR01 has diffs, and also I like the fact that they are easily accessible.  I would like to build the planetary gears @OldSchoolRC1 mentioned.  TRX4 is somehow too complete, if that makes any sense.  But the biggest practical problem is that both CR01 and TRX4 are out of my price range... (MAP makes me think that Tamiya wants this hobby to be a major commitment like mortgage, but I would like to keep it as a carefree hobby...)

I'll just not run it on a wooden floor. That will remind me how 4 wheels are turning at the same rate like Mini 4WD that costs $16. I want Torsen differentials!!  That would be needlessly complicated for a 1/10th vehicle, when putties do the job just as well... (but it's no sin to daydream about it)   

HTIGEgf.jpg

(above is from Dynahead)  

Had the CR01 out today alongside my father's SCX10.2.  CR01 did great as usual, actually out-crawled the Axial on a couple steep hills that even I didn't think it would get up and over.  I like my traditional crawlers, but the CR01 is so unique I'm glad I have it in my collection.  There really is nothing else like it out there.

IMG_5883.JPG

IMG_5885.JPG

IMG_5886.JPG

• Like 10

Tamico has had the Rock Socker on offer for €209.99 for a while now, and with DHL shipping this puts it around the £200 mark to the UK. Not sure about their US shipping rates, so this may or may not beat the rcMart price (USD to Euro conversion rate isn't too bad right now!). However, the Rock Socker is a bit of a "budget" CR-01, so it does not come with a full bearing set (will need some 1280s and 1050s), needs an ESC, and depending on your feelings on the Stadium Blitzer body, you may incur some costs there as well ;)

Like @87lc2 said, it is a capable truck in the right hands, but you will fight a little with the short wheelbase and high center of gravity. The cantilever suspension is cool, but a bit sloppy, and if you have not already seen it, @speedy_w_beans build thread is pretty epic has shows a couple of fixes:

I personally find my SCX10 II more capable, but find it a little soulless compared to my CR-01. As they say, your mileage may vary :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

@87lc2 great colour scheme.. Is it based on the "The Fall Guy" truck? Colt Seavers would look right at home in that 😁

Thanks.  Nope, wasn't intentionally made to look like the FG truck.  That truck is awesome though.

1 hour ago, frameskip said:

I personally find my SCX10 II more capable, but find it a little soulless compared to my CR-01. As they say, your mileage may vary :D

True.  All things being equal the SCX10 will be slightly more capable.  It is very close though.  Both are fun to drive the but CR01 is more interesting as you said.  The SCX10 just sort of does its thing without any drama, with the CR01 you need to learn the truck to get the most out of it.

• Like 2

Anniversary present from my wife, a steal at £209 inc. postage, and delivered in 48 hours from Tamico:

Es8bZnR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2019 at 6:58 PM, Juggular said:

l think I might get MST CFX. 

You won't be disappointed, it's a great little truck. Very capable and looks great with Tamiya CC01 bodies. 

• Thanks 1