Juggular

CR01 worth the money?

The Cliff Crawler tires do quite well when vented properly.  The Vise Crawlers not so much.  The open lugs of the Cliff Crawlers will grab rocks pretty well and also clean out after mud running very well.  Of course aftermarket super sticky tires will help any rig, but I have to say the Cliff Crawlers are probably the best stock Tamiya tires I've ever used on the trail.

Mounted some 2.2 monster tires on a set of aluminum beadlocks.  I think they fit the CR01 perfectly.  Have not had it out to see how it performs yet, but should do OK.

IMG_5938.JPG

IMG_5940.JPG

IMG_5942.JPG

IMG_5943.JPG

• Like 7

On 7/18/2019 at 2:38 PM, 87lc2 said:

Mounted some 2.2 monster tires on a set of aluminum beadlocks.  I think they fit the CR01 perfectly.  Have not had it out to see how it performs yet, but should do OK.

IMG_5938.JPG

IMG_5940.JPG

IMG_5942.JPG

IMG_5943.JPG

Love that body what is it? 

It's a 72 Chevy C10 by Proline.  Part NUmber 3201-00.   Very nice body, I have used quite a few of them and they hold up well.

• Like 1

As a crawler, no, the CR01 is absolutely not worth the money. The materials used won't hold up to heavy use on the rocks, the axle housings are far too big, the JIS hardware needs to be replaced during the build, and there's insufficient steering angle available. 

If you look at it as a 2.2" monster truck, though, I'd say that it falls on the expensive side of reasonable. The CR01 is a beautiful and unique chassis with a lot of interesting features that simply can't be found elsewhere, and is well designed for monster truck use. 

Just because it would get smoked on the rocks by a $300 RTR crawler doesn't mean that it's a bad kit or even terribly overpriced for what comes in the box; it's just that it isn't a $500 crawler kit, or even really a crawler at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Jon said:

As a crawler, no, the CR01 is absolutely not worth the money. The materials used won't hold up to heavy use on the rocks, the axle housings are far too big, the JIS hardware needs to be replaced during the build, and there's insufficient steering angle available. 

If you look at it as a 2.2" monster truck, though, I'd say that it falls on the expensive side of reasonable. The CR01 is a beautiful and unique chassis with a lot of interesting features that simply can't be found elsewhere, and is well designed for monster truck use. 

Just because it would get smoked on the rocks by a $300 RTR crawler doesn't mean that it's a bad kit or even terribly overpriced for what comes in the box; it's just that it isn't a $500 crawler kit, or even really a crawler at all.

JIS needs to be replaced? that would only make sense if you dip the CR01 in salt water every other day otherwise the standard fasteners work just fine.

Steering angle is easily fixed with a file and not holding up on rocks probably depends from how high you drop it down.

I have been running my CR on all kind of rock sliding the axles over it and they keep up quit well.

What makes a big difference on the CR are wheelweights and decent rims and tires.

It will never be a competition crawler but it will get up and over it's fair share of stones. And with a quietly running closed gearbox.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waterbok said:

JIS needs to be replaced? that would only make sense if you dip the CR01 in salt water every other day otherwise the standard fasteners work just fine.

Steering angle is easily fixed with a file and not holding up on rocks probably depends from how high you drop it down.

I have been running my CR on all kind of rock sliding the axles over it and they keep up quit well.

What makes a big difference on the CR are wheelweights and decent rims and tires.

It will never be a competition crawler but it will get up and over it's fair share of stones. And with a quietly running closed gearbox.

Waterbok, what I am trying to say is that, for $500, one can buy a huge array of crawlers that will out crawl the CR01 with better durability. So, in answer to the OP's question, " Is the CR01 worth the money", one can only say "No".

As for the steering angle, without CV or universal axles, there is no way to get the 45° or so necessary for acceptable performance on the rocks.

While you may be more than pleased with the performance of the rig, I'd hesitate to recommend one to a person who was interested in crawling specifically, especially at it's price point. Most people would be happier with a $300-$500 RTR, or with a different $500 kit, like a Cross Demon SG4C.

Now, don't think that I dislike the chassis in any way. There's one on my short list of future builds. It is very pleasantly complicated and would make a fun trail (not crawler) rig. There are simply much better choices for less money for a rig to grind on the rocks.

Yep, I built mine as a trail rig rather than out and out crawler, I love the complex and quirky chassis which is so typically Tamiya, way over engineered and complex

• Like 3

From the build fun in itself (and I haven’t finished mine yet) I say it’s worth the money 

how it goes that I don’t know but I don’t think I’ll be disappointed

• Like 3

I am building a fleet of them as trail trucks or more likely shelf queens.

cr02_zpsyf0ndbsg.jpg

cr04_zps8zzylmia.jpg

cr03_zpstpqjpimp.jpg

cr01_zpsqycboqmw.jpg

Gun metal, Camel yellow, Champagne Gold, Chrome aluminium. More to come...

• Like 10

Nice trucks, but the shelf is no place for a CR-01.  Get out and get them dirty :)

• Like 1

One of them had a Landcruiser body in its previous life when the CR01 was a new release years ago. The one with silver shocks & alloy chassis side plates. That one saw action. 

For some reason, this particular not so popular body iteration caught my eye. Must be the addiction at work here.

CR01 is Tamico deal of the week... and it’s my birthday on Wednesday...  :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J@mes said:

CR01 is Tamico deal of the week... and it’s my birthday on Wednesday...  :D

Ohhhh and the Pound is strong against the euro 

• Thanks 1

My heart is going 'a bargain even with the postage, cheaper than the Rock Socker you bought last'.

My head is going 'you already have that Rock Socker and an FJ Cruiser you haven't built yet'.

• Haha 1

Now not only building and driving it I think it’s worth the money with out a doubt

• Like 2