Sign in to follow this  
Running Fox

What motor for a Hornet/Grasshopper?

I bought a 2n hand Hornet without motor. Could anyone tell me what the difference is between a Tamiya 540 motor #7435044 and Tamiya RC 540-J Motor (Johnson) #53689?

tnx!

For a litte extra oomph Id go for a 540 sport

• Like 3

They are essentially the same.  Tamiya 540 was built by Mabuchi (I don't know if it's still true).  I've read somewhere that 540-Johnson lasts longer, before the motor is not race-worthy.  I don't think there is noticeable difference in performance.  

Instead of spending $11.30 + shipping from Hong Kong, why not go for the "Sport Tuned" motor?  (not 380 sport tuned, but 540 sport tuned) 

It's noticeably faster and stronger.  You can find one on ebay for $17.60.  Free shipping from Japan.  So, the price would be very similar to 540J from Hong Kong.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-RS540-SPORT-TUNED-Motor-All-540-JAPAN/253881286936?epid=691369733&hash=item3b1c810118:g:c3kAAOSwFLpcrrCe

You can limit the ESC to 80%, if your radio allows EPA (End Point Adjustment).  Then it'd be pretty much same as Mabuchi or Johnson.  When you want the extra speed, just dial up the end point.  Voila, you've upgraded it once again.  Most Tamiya ESCs and Hobbywing 1060 can handle the Sport Tuned motor.  

• Like 3

I totally agree with the above. Get a Sport Tuned (540). Faster, no hassle, real bamg for your buck. I too have it on my Hornet and enjoy it big time, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 2

From memory the old mabuchi motors were 195g/cm torque @14.300rpm whereas I think the 540J is 255g/cm @14.500rpm (Someone with a box might have to check that figure).

I believe the Sport tuned is 350g/cm at 18.300rpm.

• Like 2

I'll go with what the above recommend! Sport tuned is the best motor for a good upgrade with minimal fuss! But do change the pinion gear because it won't last long at all (hardened steel pinion lasts for ever👍) just for a laugh I put a brushless combo in my grasshopper with 2s lipo a few years ago (just to see what would happen) and in fairness the gearbox held up no problem and I had to accelerate very slowly but I ran 2 batteries through it and what a giggle one of the tyres exploded off so that was the only thing that halted it 😄

• Like 2

I personally feel that the stock silver can is the motor best suited to these chassis. That said, I do run a Sport Tuned in my Hornet. ;)

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2019 at 10:12 PM, Running Fox said:

Well, here we go

20190715_151750.jpg

Good to see it's the all black sport tuned! I wonder why tamiya decided to change to silver can with black sticker?.......economics probably!