Sign in to follow this  
thorsteenster

TT-02?! What's the scoop?

I had a TT-01 a few years back and loved it, fully hopped up and everything. Great go to car for daily running.

Just perusing the bit T's website and saw they now have the TT-02

Any word, is it just an evolution of the 01?

• Like 1

Lol. Run a search matey. There are a million threads on the tt02 and TT02B with everything from stock form to fully hopped up and everything in between. I'd say it's an evolution from the TT01E others may disagree.

Indeed - an evolution, and not a major one. If you already have a hopped up TT-01, you won't notice much difference, so there isn't much point getting one IMO. By the same token though, if you no longer have your TT-01, an '02 would feel quite familiar and would respond to the same setup tricks, so might be a good purchase. 

Since you've owned a fully hop-upped TT01, I suggest getting a better platform like the TB series. A TB04 or 05 would be a great upgrade from the TT series. You'd also feel and see the many differences of a more competitive performance shaft driven touring car. The upgrading the kit slowly (or quickly) if you can get all the parts you want for it.

I prefer the shaft drive, and sold my TT-01 over ten years ago.

Not that I've ever ran a belt drive, those open drives just seem a magnet for crap to get into and muck it up.

Thanks all, think I'll have a look for one, like maybe the '99 Scooby mentioned above...

9 hours ago, thorsteenster said:

I prefer the shaft drive, and sold my TT-01 over ten years ago.

Not that I've ever ran a belt drive, those open drives just seem a magnet for crap to get into and muck it up.

Thanks all, think I'll have a look for one, like maybe the '99 Scooby mentioned above...

All TB chassis are shaft driven. A fully upgraded TT-01/02 is inferior to a box stock TB-03R or TB-04R in terms of performance, parts and looks. Have a take a look first and it just might change your mind from being stuck with the TT series.

TT02 type S is on the same level as TB chassis imo. It's a TT02 with TRF41x suspension. It's a lot cheaper and parts are a lot more available.

• Like 1

Yep a TT02-S is much better than a hopped up TT01E. The main TT02 is not much of a big jump, but it is a more versatile chassis (You can change it to rally by flipping the hubs etc).

I really love my TT02S. It’s a shame they never did a pro TT02S, not saying it’s as good as a TB05, cause it’s not, but for running a combination of street bashing, rallying, stock racing it’s a great little chassis. Plenty of parts, the suspension parts are shared across TB03,TA05, FF03 and TRF415 if I’m not mistaken. So there is options for carbon reinforced or alloy parts on the suspension side of things. I think the TT02S is a big jump on a TT01E, and it’s satisfyingly different too. 

9 hours ago, nbTMM said:

TT02 type S is on the same level as TB chassis imo. It's a TT02 with TRF41x suspension. It's a lot cheaper and parts are a lot more available.

Nope. The TB is in a different league. The suspension system (upper and lower arms, turnbuckles) for example is already a leap away. Plus the steering, metal shafts, diffs, shock towers, etc. It's cheaper to get a box stock TB-03R/TB-04R than to get a TT-02s and spend on upgrades it which still turn out inferior.

TB-04R

3355f6bd1a421800b1fa73dae693fb9a.jpg

Some day... :)

I'm with @Nicadraus on this one, the TB chassis will be far superior to the best TT no matter what upgrades are done. I don't have a TB but have TT02B, TA07Pro and TRF102 to compare the range and the TA series is much closer to a TRF car than a TT car and the TB and TA should be very similar as far as quality goes. It was also a much more satisfying build than the TT which go together really easily.

If its for a racing class then the TT02 Type S isn't allowed in the TT class here either, it has to be a basic TT02, not sure what the rules are near you though.

If budget allows I would look at the TB05Pro. It looks a very versatile chassis with multiple motor positions, easy to adjust flex etc. It already comes with TRF dampers as well which are really nice.

The only thing is, if you are running it a lot and like upgrading it, then the cheapest long term option will be the TB Evo 7. My TA07 is very close to an R now, if I hadn't got lucky with some cheap hop ups I would have spent a lot more than just getting the R (which wasn't out when i got the Pro).

Of course, this probably doesn't help with the original question...but there are some similar threads on rctech which may help too, especially the TT02 Type S vs RR one

TB03R is $410, TB04R $461 and TT02S $156 where I am. That's a lot of dosh ($300!) left over to upgrade the TT02. As mentioned the Type-S TT02 already has the suspension arms/hub/turnbuckles lifted from the TRF41x chassis which is (almost?) identical to what is in a TB04R. Infact, the rest of the car is remarkably similar in construction. The only things you miss out on are the better shocks (type-S has plastic CVAs), various aluminium bits and bobs (many which are just bling and don't actually help performance), the motor is mounted differently (better! less gears less losses less maintenance), and the steering arrangement is different, but not necessarily worse. There are also no drop in swaybars for the TT02 chassis if i'm not mistaken but you can retro fit XV-01 bars which cost $20 plus about $2 in sheet aluminium which you will cut and bend to make some mounts. I think a lot of people discount the TT02 because they just think of the stumpy looking toy-like suspension of the non-S model. The TT02 gets a lot of things right, it's cheap as chips and once you fix the suspension with the type-S it's hard to beat dollar for dollar.

If you're going to spend $400+ on a chassis, just get the TRF419XR, it's only $495.

44 minutes ago, nbTMM said:

TB03R is $410, TB04R $461 and TT02S $156 where I am.

If you're going to spend $400+ on a chassis, just get the TRF419XR, it's only $495.

What currency is this? The TB prices you quote are similar to what i've seen in NZD, but the TRF419XR is more like USD. I wouldn't think twice about getting the TRF419XR for NZD495 and worry about what my wife says later.

oops my bad. TRF419 price in USD, rest in AUD. TT02S + upgrades is still best value.

• Like 1

I think you need to put into context what your going to use it for, if there is no intention of racing, then the TT02S is a fantastic option for street and driving with friends, but if you want to try one race meet to dip a toe in the waters then it’ll get you through a few meets until you decide on the right race chassis for you.

in the meantime, a plethora of what came in the mail today options are out there if your one of us that enjoys the expensive but fun hopup path. 

The only thing to keep in mind in terms of replacement suspension parts (as in aftermarket alloy) will mean shopping for TA05IFS/TB03 parts.

The poorest part on the TT02S suspension is the C Hub which is too flexy and causes castor changes when the suspension hits bumps. A set of alloy C hubs for a TA05IFS fixes that entirely. (Yeah racing make some some bearing supported units)

of course the TT02S shares this same part with FF03,TA05IFS and TB03 among others so it’s not a issue exclusive to the TT02S.

Juls

1 hour ago, nbTMM said:

TB03R is $410, TB04R $461 and TT02S $156 where I am. That's a lot of dosh ($300!) left over to upgrade the TT02. As mentioned the Type-S TT02 already has the suspension arms/hub/turnbuckles lifted from the TRF41x chassis which is (almost?) identical to what is in a TB04R. Infact, the rest of the car is remarkably similar in construction.

But no matter how you fully upgrade the TT-02, it is still an inferior car compared to the TB, TA and most especially the TRF. The TT is a car made for bashing and not intended for serious racing (unless you convert it into a KR version which will cost you more than $500 in total) except for it's class only.

A used TB-04R sells from $160 (US) - 200 which I believe is very reasonable considering the chassis class and parts in it. Many times you get a jackpot from used items which I had with my unused FF-03 Pro with an extra stock kit. $200 (USD) for both.

Here's a TB-04R for sale that is assembled but was never used. Probably for display purposes only.

https://sg.carousell.com/p/tamiya-tb04r-chassis-rc-car-201770009/  it's $230 (SGD) or $170 (USD). or $242 (AUD)

I'm just trying to open your eyes to other option rather than being closed minded with the TT. The TB is perfect for you. The TA & TRF are out of the question since you want a shaft driven car. Well aside from Tamiya, another great car to consider is the HPI Pro4. I had one which I raced back from 2005 - 2007. I regret selling it.

This was my Pro4. I installed every modified part that was available at that time. Had Exotek Racing been around, I would have converted it too.

P6jEDHKh.jpg

u9bnAJah.jpg

Aqg65DEh.jpg

I miss it... :(

Well that is certainly a good deal, but I doubt unused TB04Rs come up often at that price. If you looked long and hard enough you could probably find a TT02S for <$100, so arguing that one chassis is better than another just because one guy is selling one for a good price is moot. The fact remains that a TT02S is 90% of the car for 33% of the sticker price. OP was asking if it was improved from the TT01, which the TT02S certainly is and is extremely good value compared to TB and TRF chassis. Not saying that the TT>TB out of the box, just that for three times the cost, it's a really negligible increase in performance buying a TB unless you're a serious competitive racer. 

Also I wouldn't ever recommend buying a second hand car unless it is as-new or you can can personally inspect the car and check that it has been maintained properly. Buying over the internet there is too much potential time and money wasted tracking down replacements for worn out parts. A badly maintained TB04 will almost certainly be slower than a brand new TT02S and you'll probably spend the entire cost of a new TT02S on it tracking down every part to make it as-new again.

On 7/6/2019 at 2:22 AM, nbTMM said:

TB03R is $410, TB04R $461 and TT02S $156 where I am. That's a lot of dosh ($300!)

Weird prices, TB05 pro costs 190USD on rcmart vs 115USD of TT02S. TT02S lacks proper steering with bushings, adjustable motor mount, adjustable rear toe, universal shafts and sealed differentials. TB05 sounds like better deal. And it has option for front motor position, which is nice feature.

Maybe you should compare base TB03/04, if you can find any, not R-version. Base versions are closer to TT02S.

• Like 1

They are in aussie dollars. TB05 pro would be around $280 AUD so still almost twice TT02S. A lot of those features are nice to have, but not strictly necessary for 'daily running' which was the question posed in this thread. TT02S makes for a good basher and will still be competitive in a novice racing class - really all you need for 21.5 TC is a yeah racing motor mount, a pinion and a spur and you're off (edit: and high speed gear set, and I see alternatively Yeah racing now make an aluminium spur holder too). A lot of things aren't adjustable but the standard setting is sensible. If you get hooked on racing then you can get something better, if not you haven't wasted money on things you don't need and still have a nice basher.

• Like 1