Sign in to follow this  
magnumb

Something other than Tamiya

Had nothing but trouble with my outcast, not ran a full pack yet without it breaking, and not even bashing hard.  Huge disappointment. :(

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Had nothing but trouble with my outcast, not ran a full pack yet without it breaking, and not even bashing hard.  Huge disappointment. :(

That's the opposite of my experience.

I've had my Outcast for nearly a couple of months and I've kicked the crap out of it and so far I've just broken a front wishbone. 

It's had the kind of abuse that would have left my Schumacher and Tamiya cars in pieces. Worth contacting Arrma? They seem to be a proactive company when it comes to dealing with the customer. 

I have melted 3 centre diffs, had a tyre explode, rod ends pulled out of suspension arms, bolts loosening off everywhere.

Running it on a flat grass football pitch, had it 3 or 4 months and probably been in bits for over a month while waiting for modelsport to sort it out.

Modelsport have been very reasonable, but I hate this truck now, want to sell it but cant pass this rubbish onto some other poor soul.

Outcast I hate you, the next time you fail me, you are gone.

Edit2ADD> I think I have only flattened the battery twice, every other time it has broken and needed returning to house for repair.

Arrma built tough, compared to cheese.

• Haha 1

I've heard early on Arrma wasn't the best for durability, but lately i've heard they are real decent. 

Make that one more diff, this one was built and fitted at modelsport, this is my 2nd battery pack since then.

At the weekend I ran one pack and the tyre exploded, so I swapped it onto front and glued it and managed to flatten the packs.

Today I just melted another diff. 

I would upload a video but there is far too much foul language.

I tried to make another video while I took the batteries out, then realised the exploded diff has ruined my battery as well. More foul language.

1 hour ago, magnumb said:

I've heard early on Arrma wasn't the best for durability, but lately i've heard they are real decent. 

<off to Googles Arma Outcast>

Jesus Christ that's an ugly truck....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Short of being able to do smokey burnouts (which is inherently expensive because it'll destroy a set of the special tyres in 1 pack, costing $60USD to replace), I don't see how the infraction is any more exciting in a carpark than a 1/10 touring car with say 5000kv / 3S. The latter will set you back less than half the initial purchase price of the former and be much cheaper to run (tyres and spares). 

I mean, check out this video with the car running on normal wheels/tyres. Once you get over the tyre frying shenanigans it's just a reasonably fast 1/7 scale touring car and unlike off-road cars, being larger doesn't significantly increase it's capability on a smooth road.

Similarly with the Limitless it's much cheaper to build your own speedrun car by just putting a powerful motor setup and appropriate gearing in a regular touring car chassis.

They seem to be marketed at the crowd who don't understand and/or can't be bothered to do their own research about what motor, ESC, battery, gearing etc they need to put in a certain chassis to make it stupid fast and/or reliable. I have seen videos of people doing minutes worth of burnouts with their Infraction and then they scratch their head when the ESC starts complaining about everything overheating. The cars certainly do what they say on the box and seem reasonably reliable given that, but for the tinkering crowd it's always cheaper to build your own.

My 6WD Tamiya would put the outcast to shame, wish I hadn't sold it now, might have to build another. 

Been offered a aluminium diff upgrade from the ARRMA distributer. 

Outcast owners, do a wheelie for for than 100meters and try not to explode your diff.

2 hours ago, nbTMM said:

They seem to be marketed at the crowd who don't understand and/or can't be bothered to do their own research about what motor, ESC, battery, gearing etc they need to put in a certain chassis to make it stupid fast and/or reliable. 

That isn't true of the limitless, it doesn't come with an ESC or a motor so you have to add your own.

As for me, I own a few Tamiya off road cars, I'm used to tinkering and I understand how they work, to be honest, if you want to properly tinker you would probably buy another race based brand that actually give you proper gearing options (that's what I did anyway).

The appeal of the Outcast to me was the toughness. I can't explain what has happened to Wolfdogstinkus, but mine has been a massive step higher than any Scumacher or Tamiya car I own when it comes to durability.

If I knew how to upload video here I would record something tomorrow and show you how much punishment they can take. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nbTMM said:

Short of being able to do smokey burnouts (which is inherently expensive because it'll destroy a set of the special tyres in 1 pack, costing $60USD to replace), I don't see how the infraction is any more exciting in a carpark than a 1/10 touring car with say 5000kv / 3S. The latter will set you back less than half the initial purchase price of the former and be much cheaper to run (tyres and spares). 

I mean, check out this video with the car running on normal wheels/tyres. Once you get over the tyre frying shenanigans it's just a reasonably fast 1/7 scale touring car and unlike off-road cars, being larger doesn't significantly increase it's capability on a smooth road.

Similarly with the Limitless it's much cheaper to build your own speedrun car by just putting a powerful motor setup and appropriate gearing in a regular touring car chassis.

They seem to be marketed at the crowd who don't understand and/or can't be bothered to do their own research about what motor, ESC, battery, gearing etc they need to put in a certain chassis to make it stupid fast and/or reliable. I have seen videos of people doing minutes worth of burnouts with their Infraction and then they scratch their head when the ESC starts complaining about everything overheating. The cars certainly do what they say on the box and seem reasonably reliable given that, but for the tinkering crowd it's always cheaper to build your own.

Not sure it's even close to a touring car chassis.....A light weight touring car chassis at 100mph would be a real handful. 

For me it's the open wheel design of the Limitless with it's weight and speed. Never seen anything like it and with that weight and long wheelbase it should be a blast to drive and rip around with. 

Checked out the truck yesterday in person and it's a real tank. It looks like it built similar to a 1/8 Buggy which are known durable but with a longer chassis and shorter shocks. 

A larger footprint will be more stable at high speeds than a 1/10 touring car. I'm not interested in a big on-road car either, but they are not the same as a small one with a powerful motor.

I just see the Limitless and Infraction as responses to Traxxas' XO-1 that came out years ago.  You might remember the XO-1 was priced at about $800 and required some unlocking to get the full 100 mph potential.  The alternative was to buy a cheap OFNA/Hong Nor/Hobao 1/8 GT chassis and dropping a 6S brushless setup in it.  So, ARMMA is offering an alternative to the 1/8 GT chassis, but you still have to buy the electronics to make it go fast.

How to disassemble an XO-1 in less than a second (with glorious slow-mo replay):

12 hours ago, Biz73 said:

A larger footprint will be more stable at high speeds than a 1/10 touring car. I'm not interested in a big on-road car either, but they are not the same as a small one with a powerful motor.

No doubt, but it's not warranted in your average size carpark, and the speed run guys seem to have no problems keeping a 1/10 TC going down a 2 lane road at 150km/h as long as nothing breaks.

Most vids I see the infraction is barely doing 60-70km/h because they are running on the small pinion. It can't run bash on the big pinion for long before overheating. Smaller scales don't have that problem because the motor and electronics are comparatively larger compared to the weight/size of the chassis.

Sure a bigger chassis is better as it can handle bigger bumps due to more suspension stroke, bigger wheels and more ground clearance. I'm not sure it is twice the price better though unless you have a really big open space to run it because being capable of going faster demands maintaining a higher average speed, otherwise it overheats. Going the same speed in a larger chassis is less fun in my opinion. It's being on the verge of loosing control that makes bashing RC cars fun for me.