Nicadraus

Let's talk about On-Road...

I'm sure many of you have on-road cars. Either for bashing, track racing, or simply for the love of it. Share some experience, thoughts and pictures of your cars. Not necessarily Tamiya cars only but open to any on-road car, vintage or modern. 

Let's see those asphalt, concrete and carpet speeders! 😊

• Like 1

Castrol Civic FF01:

2019-07-07_10-13-16

Period-appropriate Reedy MVP 27t stock motor, full bearings, steel pinion, ballraced alloy steering, Runs very well, even by modern standards, although it doesn't race with this shell - I have a cheap expendable race blob for that.

• Like 5

My 13.5t TC racers, TB-03 in the foreground, TT-01 behind it.

2019-03-17_06-32-53

The TB-03 has ballraced and shimmed IFS pivots and steering rack, but is otherwise bone stock. One of the advantages of getting a higher-end kit - it is fast out of the box. The TT-01 on the other hand has a fair few upgrades. More details here: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/89351-turnip-refreshes-a-tt-01

• Like 4

They don't always resemble race blobs though. The TB-03 looks like this when on the shelf:

2018-11-13_11-23-41

And this is the TT-01:

2019-07-10_02-45-53

• Like 4

Interesting thread.  I got rid of or decomissioned a lot of my on-road cars because I don't run them.  I knew I was only going to do a single Iconic Cup round this year, so when that had passed I robbed the electrics from my TL01LA to get some other new cars running.

Then I got invited to go to an open Tamiya Practice Day on the tarmac circuit at SHMCC this weekend, and realised that virtually none of my road cars are in a running state.  So I have spent the last two nights up until late in the workshop, pulling out anything with a tarmac-biased chassis and a potential to run, and have been struggling to find servos, ESCs and receivers to get them all running.  In fact just this morning I placed an order for two new Probe WP speedos and Turnigy GT5 receivers so I can get a couple more cars going.

No pics yet as I've been way too busy in the workshop but I intend to take a few hundred on Saturday :)

• Like 1

Wow, I need to clear off some floor space to make a track like that...

5 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Wow, I need to clear off some floor space to make a track like that...

It's super fun, and the m chassis cars are the perfect size!

Here are some of my on-road cars in the past.

FF01 which is still with me. Bought this in 1996, originally came with a Renault Clio body. Bought this Corolla WRC body in 1998.

lGobzALh.jpg

GOogFpAh.jpg

HPI Pro4 (green body) - I regret selling this one. I sold it because I never thought I'd go back to RC again.

Tamiya TA-04R (orange body) - I gave this to my son.

7EPkN73h.jpg

The Pro4 was installed with every hop up option parts available at that time 2005-2007. ESC was Twister Hara 2.2. Both the Pro4 and TA-04R ran 23t.

P6jEDHKh.jpg

and my current basher/racer hopeful FF-03 Pro-R :)

RdScQeFh.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

I like m-05's, especially the mk1 GTI's (Rabbits on this side of the pond).  I run them in my garage when the weather isn't nice.

46559764904_f6e0f36600_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Untitled by Joe, on Flickr

Untitled by Joe, on Flickr

PP Bones Brigade tech deck....NOICE!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NWarty said:

PP Bones Brigade tech deck....NOICE!  

I'll add a Santa Cruz one as soon as I can find one I like! 

Here is my ta02sw that I raced over 25 years ago........ still runs and is competetive, highly hopped up with a brushless 13.5t motor. Originally started life as a tasian Porsche!

20190522_220540.jpg

• Like 4

Here are my M-05 and M-06, both hopped up to the same level with full bearings, ballraced alloy steering racks, alloy motor mounts, CVA shocks, 13.5t Speed Passion brushless motors and TBLE-02 ESCs with cutouts modified for LiPo.

2019-03-04_06-27-01

M-05 with its shell on:

2019-07-10_11-35-55

M-06 with its shell on:

2019-07-10_11-29-15

• Like 7

I doubt it is vintage yet but it is getting on a bit...

2019-07-13_08-27-50

• Like 4

I have mainly off road in the fleet as its more conducive with where I live. I'd like to put an 'Urban Buggy' together one day, but saying that I do have two on roads,

First is a 40th Anniversary Jagermeister Porsche as I really like Tamiya Porsches and it was at my nearest hobby shop at a great price,

IxI7zgrl.jpg

Second is a M-05 2CV I had some fun with :D

bXNiL4dl.jpg

Last is my Scorcher body sitting on the TA02SW chassis of the above mentioned Porsche chewing over a Street Scorcher build,

ltmIGOCl.jpg

• Like 5

I love Tamiya on-road.  Even my XV-01 is really an on-road car with some off-road capability.  I do think I will eventually get a Manta Ray for unprepared surfaces.

This is my M06, which I've setup with extra wide wheels/tires and a 13 turn motor for some realistic performance:

sGeAhbm.jpg

The body is missing a significant part of the front lip spoiler now after many fun hours of delight and showing it to friends/family/neighbors.  The M06's replacement body is coming soon :-D

• Like 7

Inspired by my forever long lasting love for Ridge Racer, I did this paint job for my Raikiri GT, the fictional TT02 that Tamiya makes.

UrM2qVf.jpg

DQKheAj.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, firefoxussr said:

I love Tamiya on-road.  Even my XV-01 is really an on-road car with some off-road capability.  I do think I will eventually get a Manta Ray for unprepared surfaces.

This is my M06, which I've setup with extra wide wheels/tires and a 13 turn motor for some realistic performance:

sGeAhbm.jpg

The body is missing a significant part of the front lip spoiler now after many fun hours of delight and showing it to friends/family/neighbors.  The M06's replacement body is coming soon :-D

Love that 993 GT2 body. Looks really good. :)

• Like 1

This thread got me to order a few bodies. Such bad influences here.(j/k these are great!)

• Like 1

I never really meant to get on-road cars.  I only got the FF03 at the time because it was really cheap and I'm a Honda fan.  I definitely wanted a M05 CRX, and when the M07 came out I sold the M05.  Since then I've added more cars when I should've been buying buggies and trucks.  Maybe this summer it'll happen.

My TT02R Subaru:  The only body I've seriously considered buying a second of to create a shelfer.

vplygkq.jpg

FF03 Frog Civic:

dQkX8jz.jpg

The M06 S13 Silvia:  Recently finished the body but the chassis is only halfway done.  No point finishing until summer returns.

VcjvKVn.jpg

M07 Honda CRX:

W3BV6lk.jpg

TT02S Drift EvoX:  I thought I'd get bored with drifting in 5 minutes then sell the car but it's surprisingly fun.

cM26M5L.jpg

• Like 6

On 7/15/2019 at 11:39 AM, Nicadraus said:

Love that 993 GT2 body. Looks really good. :)

Thank you!  When i got the body & TA02 kit, I just couldn't have a mid-engine 911, so I made a rear-engine one!

The TA02 chassis will some day be a Safari Rally Lancia 037 build.

• Like 1

More street-style fun:

img37537_820201633224_2.jpg

img37537_128201894826_2.jpg

And some F1 and LeMans:

img37537_827201675808_2.jpg

img37537_730201685907_1.jpg

What's interesting is over time I keep looking at some of these cars, and I realize if I just go back to some of these projects I can improve them with some fine-line tape, maybe a few 3D-printed parts, and some homemade decals to bring out more realism.  Just because the shell was "finished" years ago doesn't mean improvements can't still be made.  In that sense projects are never truly done.

• Like 3