Sign in to follow this  
TurnipJF

Where in the Far East is best to buy Tamiya in person?

So my wife and I are planning a holiday in the Far East at some point, but the itinerary is still to be decided. One of the things we want to do is visit a proper big hobby shop that stocks as much Tamiya goodness as possible. I am familiar with most of the Far Eastern online retailers, but can anyone suggest where to find the best ones for shopping in person?

The only one I've seen is the one in Singapore, and it wasn't huge, but they had a lot of stuff. Tons of semis, limited edition parts, and other goodies. I went in May and they had the red Lunchbox and HKS Skyline, when both weren't even sold in the west that I could see.

Their prices varied, but I got a TA-05 M-Four for $150 USD; quite a good price, but others were just 'okay'.

• Like 1

Maybe see if you'll be near this store:

• Like 1

Stargek in Singapore was a good experience; this was 7-8 years ago when I went.  They had pretty much everything Tamiya made in that store, including the trucks, tanks, and all the off-road and on-road chassis.  Lots of supplies and promo items, parts trees hanging on the wall, hopups, etc.  I bought a pair of TRF201 (42167) chassis kits from them and packed them in the suitcase for the ride home.

• Thanks 1

Philippines and Hong Kong.

Although 70% of Tamiya is made in the Philippines, HK is still the best place to get them for price and availability of R/C models and parts. But if by any chance you get to swing by Manila, there are a few branches of Lil's Hobbyshop (Tamiya distributor) in the metro.