Sign in to follow this  
racingtom

Help with Low Rider Pumpkin.

Hi everybody, a while ago I bought a Pumpkin and wish to modify it by replacing the rear wheels with larger units as I like the drag racer look. I've made some wheelie bars and hope to install a brushless motor the only small problem is that I'm new to the hobby! The whole kit has been completed and has a Tamiya speed controller with a cooling fan that says TFU-01 on the top.                                                                  So can anybody tell me what wheels can be fitted to the hubs please? I know I would need to modify the rear arches. And what kind of brushless motor/s could be installed?                                                         Many thanks, and all advise will be appreciated!!!!

The wheels are a standard 12mm hex fitting, so pretty much any wheels designed for mini chassis, touring chassis or 1/10 scale buggies will fit. The bigger the wheel, the more you will have to modify the arches of course.

Your speed controller sounds like a TBLE-02, which can take sensored brushless motors down to 10.5 turns, however the sweet spot seems to be around the 13.5t mark.

If running brushless power, or any power for that matter, bearings and a steel pinion are good idea, if you have not fitted them already.

hello

i used these for my sprint project,53187 jeep wrangler.

20190712_231534[1].jpg

12 hours ago, racingtom said:

Hi everybody, a while ago I bought a Pumpkin and wish to modify it by replacing the rear wheels with larger units as I like the drag racer look. I've made some wheelie bars and hope to install a brushless motor the only small problem is that I'm new to the hobby! The whole kit has been completed and has a Tamiya speed controller with a cooling fan that says TFU-01 on the top.                                                                  So can anybody tell me what wheels can be fitted to the hubs please? I know I would need to modify the rear arches. And what kind of brushless motor/s could be installed?                                                         Many thanks, and all advise will be appreciated!!!!

You might need to buy a couple of sets to experiment with. 1/10 touring car is next size up which are about 64mm diameter, or after that it's 2.2" 1/10 buggy which on street tyres will be around 78mm.

Just do an internet search for "rc touring car wheels" and "rc buggy wheels" and you will have tonnes to choose from. If you go for buggy wheels sewrch for some Schumacher Venom88 tyres. I think would look suitably dragster. 

If you have the tble02s, i would suggest one of these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162631223972

Also, look at your gearing (it will probably be in the manual) and see about getting a final drive ratio between 5 and 6. This will suit a brushless motor. You will almost certainly need a new pinion to change the gearing. 

Many thanks TurnipJF, Magpie, and ThunderDragonCy for your help! I will certainly go these sites and get the necessary wheels especially the Venom88 tyres. I'm guessing if I use the existing brass pinion it won't last too long!!

I will post a picture or two when it's finished. Thanks also for the ultra fast replies!!

• Like 1

If you're looking for a set of proper drag slicks without going too big, consider Tamiya TLT-01 wheels and tyres.  Total tyre size is just over 3.5" high and about 2" wide if you scrub off the tread.  They look about right on my drag truck project which is 1:14 scale against the 1:12-ish scale of your Pumpkin body.  You will probably have to remove the arches in their entirety.  If you want the chassis to remain level you'll also have to get creative with the rear suspension, which will apply with pretty much any wheel you install unless you modify an M-chassis wheel.

Here's the drag slick on my drag truck chassis:

img15729_3162019110308_5.jpg

A full description of how to scrub the tyres and modify the wheels to get a nicer sidewall bulge can be found in my build thread here: