Truck Norris

Ford F-150 Monster Racer

f150-monster-racer-aged.jpg

Tamiya didn't make this but maybe they should have?

I bought one of the re-re F-150 bodies and stickers from Tamico several years ago but like so much of my collection I did nothing with it. I have a TA-02T truck in the form of the Desert Fielder so the idea was to use it for that. It seemed a bit boring though as there are plenty of those about, I then had the idea of mounting it on a Monster Racer / King Cab chassis.

I checked and it fitted really well. The KC mounts positioned it too high and not level, but the Monster Racer posts were perfect. Luckily the re-re bodies sold as spares are undrilled so I could make the holes in the right position for the MR posts.

I considered painting the cage silver and the spare tyre in flat clear on the outside, but I wanted this to look like it would have done in a 1995 catalogue and PS-55 Flat Clear didn't exist back then so I didn't.

For the wheels I didn't want to use the same white as the King Cab or the red from the MR. They had their individual wheel colour so I felt this should too. I considered dying or painting the white wheels blue, but then I remembered these Hop-up King Blackfoot chrome plated ones which are the same bearing front / hex rear fitment. They vaguely match the moulded in spare which is nice.

Once again the shot replicates those from the old Tamiya catalogues, complete with some Photoshop processing to give it that aged look. This time I used black tape over the Acoms radio gear (just like Tamiya used to do) and the battery is a period correct Tamiya 1400SCR.

• Like 17

Your example certainly makes a compelling case for Tamiya to have released this. The attention to detail for this one really makes it stand out - it is a good-looking "what if...?" with all the period details in place.

I try not to post much anymore, but I just had to comment on how spectacular @Truck Norris's creation looks. This project plus the beautiful presentation and photography skills made me WANT a Tamiya kit again. Too bad the real Tamiya has gone down their current path (complete with lackluster photos, less-than-stellar kit presentation and lack of once beautiful boxart). At this point, I'd say @Truck Norris is doing a better job than Tamiya. Hats off to you sir!

Thanks guys!

6 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

What does the "L: 451mm" mean in the lower right corner?

It's the length of the model, they used to list it in the corner of the pic:

monster-racer-catalogue-scan.jpg.004378cf54d951dd74b1bb28ef00df8f.jpg

50 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

MST are about to release a Truck similar to the one above

Very nice , is it a wheelie truck ? it looks like it has wheels out back

18 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Very nice , is it a wheelie truck ? it looks like it has wheels out back

I would say so, but drop a big enough motor feed with Lipo and anything is capable of wheelies these days 😉