john1314

Is there still a demand for vintage Tamiya RC?

I came across this website when looking for info on 2 old Tamiya RC models I bought back in the '80s. I have the Hotshot (#5847) and the Blackfoot (#5858) that my sons and I built back then, but put away when they went into the service in the late '90s. I came across them when going thru boxes in storage, so thought I'd do some research on them before I decide what to do with them.

They're complete, but the rubber tires probably need replacing. They both ran when we boxed them up decades ago, and I've still got the box tops for both (which I took pics of the box ends and included). I haven't taken pics of the models themselves yet as they're still dirty from the last time they were used. I didn't want to spend a lot of time on them if they're not worth it.

Any info is appreciated.

thanks,

John

IMG_20190711_1415293~2.jpg

IMG_20190711_1415441~2.jpg

• Like 1

A used Vintage Blackfoot is worth about $150 on Ebay, depending on the condition.  Extra parts, and "hop-up" parts (usually 3rd party upgrades of the Tamiya parts) help the resale value.

A vintage body in good or excellent condition (especially with an original front chrome grill piece) can fetch upwords of $100.  Again, depending on the condition...

I can't comment on the HotShot...

Terry

definitely worth it. There is enough demand that both of these have been re-released by Tamiya, so parts are available (especially tires). The re-releases have been modified a little though, but I have restored a really battered Hotshot with new parts.

So you would have no trouble selling these, but the value to restore is really up to you. I have 5 cars from my teenage years and and regardless if they are perceived as valuable or not, there is no way I would part with them, too many childhood memories.

Half the people here collect vintage cars / kits - maybe more than half .

Both are collectable cars - even with the re release boom cars of this vintage are still quite sought after.

Nothing like an original .

Either sell them as they are as an ongoing project or clean them up a bit , if you do put the $$ back into them you want to make sure you re-coupe them when sold .

Good luck !

• Like 1

@john1314 - yep, of course there is still a demand. :)

Almost anything related to vintage Tamiya, is worth something to someone. Even empty kit boxes. Even empty boxes from inside kits. These items are regular sold. As are millions of other things related to vintage Tamiya era production, that a lot of people collect purely for the nostalgia and for their display shelves.

This doesn't mean everything "vintage tamiya" is worth a fortune. Some items are worth zero - except that a collector would rather have them, than throw them in the bin. Other items are worth $1 to someone. Other items are worth hundreds. I once paid $200 for an empty kit box. :blink: 

Basic rule - nothing should be thrown in the bin (except maybe the staples from Tamiya parts packets...and even then... ;)).

Someone recently told me that a friend of theirs found a new in box Tamiya Bear Hawk out on the side of the road for "rubbish collection" in Sydney recently. This my friends, is an example of a "big mistake" :D  (thankfully a collector found it)

As for complete cars:

• Value of complete new in box original vintage kits is always the highest price point of any car, obviously.
  • Value of used cars depends on condition, originality, and any extras that may be included (such as kit box, vintage radio gear, spare parts, spare decals etc)
    • How a used car is offered for sale is also a huge factor in value:
      • Rubbish photos, filthy, broken cars = lowest used value.
      • Good photos, clean, tested, working cars = solid used value.
      • Expert photos, fully restored, original cars = highest used value.

Clubs such as this exist because of our enthusiam for these kits. Some of us are middle aged, and having our second childhood, reliving those days when we built these models with our dads and then spent hours at the park with them, so there is always going to be a demand for vintage kits, either to restore and show them, or just to run them and have fun.

As for value, its the age old saying, if many people want them, they are worth a furtune, if one person wants them they are not worth a lot. If you want to sell them, the best thing is to post some pictures on here and see what kind of offers you get .You dont have to commit to selling them.

Search on Ebay showing the sold listings to get a real idea on what they are worth in the US. As these guys have said, they are worth something to someone.

thanks everyone for the info.

I'm going to get everything out and cleaned up. Then I'll post pics of what I've got.

I have to figure out which futaba controller goes with which model, and get a battery to put in the models to check them out.

john

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 10:07 AM, john1314 said:

thanks everyone for the info.

I'm going to get everything out and cleaned up. Then I'll post pics of what I've got.

I have to figure out which futaba controller goes with which model, and get a battery to put in the models to check them out.

john

Please do John and welcome by the way :)

I've got a few pics I took after I cleaned them up (mainly just dust from being stored). Not all of the parts were installed on them, so I've got a box with most of the remaining parts. We never put any decals on the Hotshot, so they're still in the original plastic bag the came in. I'm still trying to locate the rear bumper for the Blackfoot. I've got another box or two to go through.

The first pics are of the Blackfoot.

There is one problem with the Blackfoot - where the driver's side fender attaches to the front grille, there is a break just above where the lower front fender attaches to the grille. I tried taking a pic of it but it didn't come out that great. Will have to try again.

Since I've got several pics, I'm putting them in multiple posts.

john

IMG_20190722_1431294.jpg

IMG_20190722_1431572.jpg

IMG_20190722_1432303.jpg

IMG_20190722_1431093.jpg

IMG_20190722_1438464.jpg

more pics of the Blackfoot

edited - guess I can't upload any more pics for now. will have to figure out something else

john

second attempt

edited - still no go. I can see the pics in 'my attachments' under my profile, but they don't get included with the post. any idea what I'm screwing up?

You may have reached your max for uploads. You can’t upload a lot here. You might use imgur.com or another free photo site and then you can just post a link to the pic.

Another thought, try just one pic in another post and see if you can do one at a time.

Edited by tamiya_1971