Sign in to follow this  
Erathis

TA07 Pro vs TB05 Pro

I'm looking to get either the TA07 Pro or TB05 Pro and I was wondering if someone with more experience can recommend one or the other and why?

Are they both as interesting to build? How do they perform on track? And which one is better suited for car park racing?

I'd appreciate any advice you have.

TA is belt driven while the TB is shaft. I'm a shaft driven fan so I'd vote for the TB05 Pro. If your budget extends, you might want to convert that TB05 later with an Exotek chassis kit. 

It's a dream kit to have...

DSC_1526__86135.1559771448.1280.1280.jpg

• Like 2

Both are very good. The steering setup on the 07 is better than the 05 unless you buy the hop ups. It’s also easier to swap the motor position on the 07.

Belts are just as durable as shafts (more so from a wear point of view). A race track outside or indoors is fine with belts.

Both are great though, so it really is down to your preference. They are as fast as each other and both have good hop-up options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for the input. I'm leaning more towards the TB05 as I like the clean aesthetic of the chassis. As I will mostly be using it in empty car parks it worries me that that the pulleys in the belt system of the TA07 will get damaged by small rocks and sand. Is that as big of a danger as it seems or to people exaggerate it a bit?

• Like 1

It depends on how clean is place where you plan running. If there's lot of rocks, chance that some get into belt is pretty high. If there just some pebble here and there, you can run it safely.

Shaft drive is safe to run even in sand and dust, which would kill belt drive without additional covers.

• Thanks 1

I have the TA07 Pro and really like it. I race it at club days in 21.5T blinky and it holds its own, i'm the weaklink. I found it needed a few key upgrades though - alloy suspension blocks being the main one, but also the chassis stiffeners. I have the carbon reinforced K parts and the carbon fibre ones, and the additional carbon fibre centre brace. Out of the box it was too flexible. Its pretty well sorted now, although i inevitably ended up with a few extras as well.

I sometimes run it at the local school as well and haven't had any issues with stones - funnily enough the only time I have ever had a stone stuck in a drivetrain was in a shaft drive car, it got stuck between the spur and pinion.

I haven't seen the TB05 pro in person but follow the RCtech thread on it. Personally I prefer belts for touring cars, not sure why as I doubt there is much difference, just do, probably because they were so exotic in the 90s. I suspect they will perform the same with a very similar build experience and quality of parts, so go with the one you like the look of. Or both, get both.

If you decide on the TA07 its worth considering the R option too, it has a lot of hopups included so if you think you'll end up going down that path then the R represents good value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to entice you once again...

This time a TB Evo 5

img36950_24072014205931_1_1100_.jpg

tb_evo_exotek.jpg

But the Exotek is still nicer. :D

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much all. It was hard but I went with TB05 and a bunch of hop ups :D love how it looks with all the shiny blue. 

I checked the place where I would drive it and its pretty sandy, so i thought shaft is probably lower risk.

• Like 4

On 7/14/2019 at 5:12 PM, qatmix said:

Both are very good. The steering setup on the 07 is better than the 05 unless you buy the hop ups. It’s also easier to swap the motor position on the 07.

Belts are just as durable as shafts (more so from a wear point of view). A race track outside or indoors is fine with belts.

Both are great though, so it really is down to your preference. They are as fast as each other and both have good hop-up options.

Sorry for coming back to this old post but could you perhaps elaborate on the steering setup differences? What exactly is better about the TA-07 steering? I am currently thinking about which of the two chassis I should get.