Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

Beginner touring car race body - Zoo Racing?

My TA06 finally arrived which i will build over the summer. Regardless of whether i muck about with RWD or not i would like to aim at having it ready to race at a local place where they run a Tamiya class which i believe is brushed or a stock class which is 17.5 blinky. The kit comes witha GT86 body so i have the scale body covered, but i would like to get a race shell too as i haven't had one before. @qatmix has extolledthe virtues of Zoo Racing bodies, but i don't know which one to go for. I am a complete beginner at on road so stability is more important than ultimate pace. I was looking at the Hellcat or Zoozilla. Or open to something else being good. Not really concerned about scale looks with this one.

Thanks! 

qatmix is much better informed so I'd go with whatever he suggests :ph34r:

My 2 pence though... I'd start with the Bitty Designs m410 it's very stable and available pre-cut for the 419x (sold as to fit Infinity) which you should be able to get your TA06 mounts to match. When you want something more twitchy I'd look at the Bitty JP8 or Protoform Type S.

The Zoo bodies are supposed to be very good, I recently picked up a DogsBollox it's very nicely made but I'm yet to try it out. Not so important to start with but what is the track like, surface and size? If it's anything like my clubs (small with high grip carpet) you will be going through bodies quicker than tyres to start with so if your not on a tight budget get a few to try out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Dougo said:

qatmix is much better informed so I'd go with whatever he suggests :ph34r:

My 2 pence though... I'd start with the Bitty Designs m410 it's very stable and available pre-cut for the 419x (sold as to fit Infinity) which you should be able to get your TA06 mounts to match. When you want something more twitchy I'd look at the Bitty JP8 or Protoform Type S.

The Zoo bodies are supposed to be very good, I recently picked up a DogsBollox it's very nicely made but I'm yet to try it out. Not so important to start with but what is the track like, surface and size? If it's anything like my clubs (small with high grip carpet) you will be going through bodies quicker than tyres to start with so if your not on a tight budget get a few to try out.

Thanks for the advice. Track i am thinking about is Broxtowe. Its a fair sized tarmac track so hopefully not too hungry for lexan! 

On 7/16/2019 at 6:45 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Thanks for the advice. Track i am thinking about is Broxtowe. Its a fair sized tarmac track so hopefully not too hungry for lexan! 

Have you been down to check it out yet? I keep meaning to go along and have a look. Im not expecting to be able to race properly, but i like driving on track. Just wondered how serious it all is. Im not bothered about being competitive but dont just want to be in everyones way either. 

19 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Have you been down to check it out yet? I keep meaning to go along and have a look. Im not expecting to be able to race properly, but i like driving on track. Just wondered how serious it all is. Im not bothered about being competitive but dont just want to be in everyones way either. 

No, not been. I would much prefer just running on track, but given i fancy building a touring car i figured i would aim it at their rules and racing. 

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

No, not been. I would much prefer just running on track, but given i fancy building a touring car i figured i would aim it at their rules and racing. 

Thats my thoughts too. I have a tt02 porsche carrera or a ta02sw 934, i figure a cheap tt02 racer would be my best bet. See what i can achieve on a small budget.

If everyones super serious about it though it may end up just being frustrating.

If the weather holds off i might go down this eve, or maybe next week, just for a quick chat.

Edit, website says fridays but it's actually saturdays, so ill go tomorrow.

I dont think you used brushed much now do you? But we have a brushed motor guru local too, not sure if you knew or not.

1 hour ago, graemevw said:

I dont think you used brushed much now do you? But we have a brushed motor guru local too, not sure if you knew or not.

Not using brushed much at all, but good to know. I think Broxtowe have a Tamiya class which is 27t which might allow stock motors instead of Silvercan

1 minute ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Not using brushed much at all, but good to know. I think Broxtowe have a Tamiya class which is 27t which might allow stock motors instead of Silvercan

Ill probably use brushless if i build something for broxtowe.

I run vintage tamiya brushed motors in my buggies though, this guy is going to re zap the magnets and service my acto pink. Pretty sure he would do custom winds and rewinds too, handy to know. 

Anyhow, in a desperate attempt to get your post back on topic, if you get a zoo body let us know what you think of it. If i do this ill be needing a race body too and the zoo ones look quite nice.

• Like 1

If starting out get the M410 as mentioned above it’s a very neutral shell. The ZooRacing preopard is similar but the 410 is very neutral and good to start out.

The popular body is the DBX, it is aggressive but still quite stable. I would suggest trying that once you feel that you need more steering and response etc.