Sign in to follow this  
minijosh

Killed my SS battery pack

Well I brought down the buggy yesterday to give it a romp in my newly cut grass. She ran super slow and I thought it was the motor or esc. When I mean slow, when I'd try to reverse it, it would only make the sound of reverse.

I then grabbed the pack out of the SS and found out that only one of the cells on the top was very hot and all the others were warm around it because of it's heat. I then tried to discharge the pack but only that one cell was discharged. Now I'm sad. Do I now cut up my kyosho 7 cell 1200 packs or just make some 3300's?

I feel for your loss. Lets hope the faulty cell has gone to a better place. LOL.

Personally Id be getting some new packs. All my "play" battery packs are Sanyo 1700SCR's. They are great packs, inexpensive to buy, and dont really worry if you abuse them like charging them hours before use, and then not discharge them at all. Mine are all 3 years old, still cycle to 1650mAhrs, and offer good enough discharge volts that I use them when I race my Mini at club level. Another alternative is Tamiya 1400, 1700 or 2400 NiCd packs if available.

3300 are difficult, expensive, have a short lifespan, will not take the abuse normally associated with general running, and you need a charger with a low Delta peak voltage (low cutoff voltage) to charge them without them getting to hot. These are best for racing only.

Just my view.....

I normally use 3300's for my racing cars so I don't think the 3300's have short life. I've killed 2400's by racing but that was a crappy company. Don't buy racer's edge. Wait, they were black 3000's from them.

I have a 3000 hump pack i got with my WW1, but of course it also fits snugly into the compartment in the SRB chassis.. However, it runs much to long with the stock silvercan motors in the SRB´s i reckon, LOL...

Hey guys,

I have had good luck recently with putting new cells in my old "hump" 7.2 volt Tamiya packs. As you all are aware you can't put a new stick pack in a stock SS or any of the early cars. I found my favorite electronics warehouse was selling a 7.2 V 1500 mha sub C pack for about $10 new. I carfully scribed along the glue line on the old Tamiya case until I could seprate the top and bottom. I reuse the wires and plug if they are good and with a few simple solder joints, fit the new batteries in and reglue the case, I have a new 1500 mah vintage "Hump" pack for my cars. Willy is happy again! Give it a try if the pack is already dead you have got nothing to loose.

PS. I find the electronics warehouse a great source of parts, motors, battery plugs, antenna wire, small metric hardware and of course batteries! Always check to see if they have a surplus area lots of other things in the world use sub "C" type ni-cads...........

if anyone wants them, I have 2 packs of 3300 cells up for sale at the moment, I could make them into a hump pack to fit racing buggies no problem