Sign in to follow this  
qazpo

tt02s vs tt02 r vs tt01e

So I'm planning to get a new rc for on road and all terrain driving and I'm not sure what to get. I'm also planning to convert the one I get into a drifter. any thoughts.

the tt02s.

a highly upgraded version of the tt02

the tt02r 

a upgraded version of the tt02.

tt01 e

upgraded version of tt01

p.s, I'm going to use yeah racing's aluminum conversion kit for the one I get

The TT-02s isn't a highly upgraded version. It is just slightly upgraded. Tamiya never released a "highly upgraded" version of this kit. It would require you to spend a lot to highly upgrade the TT-02 (regardless of variant). Parts like the plastic steering set, plastic center shaft, plastic shocks.

Well at least the S have carbon shock towers already. What Tamiya should have also done in the S is made the turnbuckles into blue aluminum like they did in the R version and included aluminum suspension mounts too. 

Here's one that's properly upgraded from the stock TT-02. This is one that Tamiya should have released and called it TT-02 Pro.

1397241d1479593446-tamiya-tt-02-type-s-touring-car-upgrades-extras-dsc00470_sm.jpg

and here's one that's "highly upgraded" and could have been called the R.

tt02_2btop_2bdeck_2bthercracer_2b_25286_2529_8b50f966586d8918f5a490eb737ae9b0faf10dad.jpg

and to make it an ultimate TT-02, here's one that was made by a guy in Germany. He spent so much time and effort designing, testing, fitting and re-designing parts for his own version, the TT-02KR (from RCTech)

07d0dc7e-ccd6-49e8-btskbc.jpeg

• Like 3

From what I have seen the S is the best version as it has the better suspension, but it also loses the ability to...is it change the wheelbase or increase the rideheight for rally? Not sure. The R and RR are just a TT02 with some hopups, its usually cheaper to buy the R kit than the base kit and hopups.

There is also the TT02D which is the drift spec. It comes with bearings, a sport tuned motor, cva shocks and drift tyres but otherwise is the same as a TT02. Its pretty good value as the shocks and bearings would cost more than the premium you pay for the kit.

Why do you want the alloy conversion? Its heavy and will make it perform worse.  The only people who use the alloy conversion are stock cars as weight isnt an issue when you are adding a stock car body anyway, and its perceived to be more durable I guess. 

For the price of a TT02 and the Yeah Racing alloy kit you could get a TA07 or TB05 which are really nice kits...

• Like 1

If you go for a TT-02S, it already comes with TRF style suspension, so you would not need to add Yeah Racing suspension parts. They would be a downgrade from what the kit comes with already.

If I was in your position, I would go for a TT-02S, then add the Yeah Racing alloy prop shaft and steering rack, and a carbon top deck from Fibrelyte, as well as a Fibrelyte chassis stiffener if you think it needs it. Plastic CVA shocks aren't that bad, but if you think the car needs more bling, Yeah Racing's TRF style shocks are very good, not quite TRF standard, but better than CVAs, a lot prettier, and cheaper too.

I can't recall if the TT02S comes with an adjustable metal motor mount, but if it doesn't, this would also be a worthwhile addition.

• Like 2

TT02S all the way, I don’t know why people say the TT02S can’t be lifted for rally, I think it’s a rumor started by someone on speculation, there is no droop stops on the chassis so if I pull the shocks off and do some very minor trimming I can get close to a inch of clearance. Adding longer shocks is all you really need to go rally. Given it’s simple shock swap makes it quick and easy to swap from street to rally and even drift. 

There is a lot of misconceptions about the TT02S which has made it less popular. If anything they need to make a TT02SS. 

Juls

• Like 2

thanks for the info from you guys.

I think that I'm going to get the tt02 r and add some hop ups to it (Yeah Racing alloy prop shaft and steering rack, a carbon top deck from Fibrelyte, and a Fibrelyte chassis stiffener

also, what shocks should I use to go rally?

and can you adjust the wheel base and ride height on the tt02 rr