hanzo

TT-02B 540 Motors and Aluminium Motor Heat Sink

I was planning to run a Super Stock BZ in a TT-02B with a Tamiya 54571 heat sink.  

It appears the heat sink is only compatible with the 540 Sports and Torque Tuned motors.  Apparently possible short circuit if used with other types of motors.

screenshot_459.thumb.png.92ac505259a8a173600e6d8998ae386a.png

So my questions are:

Are there any overheating issues with running aa Super Stock BZ using the standard D7 and D8 parts?

The manual does recommend running a Torque Tuned or Super Stock BZ, then later it recommends the heat sink 54571.  I guess they must have only been referring to Torque Tuned plus heat sink?

Use a TT-01 heatsink, those will fit the Super Stock motors just fine. Also a lot of other manufacturers make heatsinks that fit (yeah racing, 3racing, AliExpress-brands etc). They’re not that complicated to engineer and fabricate so there are plenty of options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will probably run fine without a heatsink or fan. I wouldn't attach D7 or D8, just leave the motor exposed. After running for a few minutes check the temperature of the motor can with your finger. If you can't keep your finger on it for longer than 5-10 seconds it's pretty warm but you aren't going to damage anything. If you can't keep your finger on it for even 1 second it's too hot.

I wouldn't use a clip on heatsink of any type with a motor that has electrical contacts protruding outside the diameter of the can. All it requires is for the heatsink to walk itself over to the contacts and *poof* goodbye ESC.

A fan without a heatsink will work far better than a heatsink without a fan anyway. Just get a $5 generic 30mm rc fan that plugs into your receiver and use it with the D8 part. I fashioned up a mount for a yeah racing 40mm fan using a piece of acrylic and some brass standoffs and that works ridiculously well. For a >20T brushed motor it would probably ran at ambient temperature haha.
4B8vw6q.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forget the "fixed" Tamiya mounts.

Use a Yeah Racing alu heat sink. It's adjustable and allow you to not only run several gear ratios, but also properly mesh your gears.

• Thanks 1

I'm a fan of the Yeah Racing motor mount, but only so I can use gears other than the 0.6mod combinations supported by the standard mount. I doubt it does much to act as a heatsink. The majority of the motor mount surface area which isn't covered by the motor itself is either surrounded by plastic or only exposed to the air inside the gearbox which is stagnant. If you use the cardboard spacer between the motor and the motor mount (which you should, to prevent dirt entering the gearbox and allow for thermal expansion so the bolts don't loosen off), it acts as a thermal insulator so the motor mount won't receive much heat from the motor anyway. The motor can itself has much more surface area, is exposed to the air moving through the chassis (or motor fan) and therefore already functions very well as a heatsink.

• Thanks 1

Just a follow up on the TT-02 heat sink install (I ordered one a couple weeks ago on impulse B)).

I removed screws MA2 and MB4 and clipped on the heat sink.

Personally I don't really like leaving screw holes open.

A 3x8 screw can replace MB4 (3x12mm) but couldn't find a suitable screw to replace MA2.

screenshot_462.thumb.jpg.bf2b66476fd8e7e91fccc1acdf2c66e7.jpgscreenshot_463.thumb.jpg.2faa7fd44c714c471fff5039a95bfaab.jpg

I guess normally one could just leave those screws out since the plastic motor covers has been uninstalled.