Mokei Kagaku

Peugeot 206 WRC re-re possibly in the pipeline

I haven’t received any firm information yet, but thought I’d better share anyway. What I do know for sure because I’ve seen photos taken in Shizuoka in May this year, is that Tamiya recently dug out the mold for the 206 WRC body and made some sample bodies.

Of course this is no guarantee that the body parts set or a car kit will be released, but considering all the other 90’s touring and rally bodies Tamiya has re-released on a "new" chassis, a 206 WRC on the TA02S in a not too distant future would seem likely. Don’t hold your breath though!

• Like 3

I hope your right! 

Its a pity the TA02S is the only chassis we can have at 237mm required by these old rally shells. 

Good timing.  I just took my old rally watching jacket out of the closet to wash today.

ZLfhYbs.jpg

14 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Agreed. An MF01X with tl01 arms would at least be a tiny bit more modern. 

I've actually done exactly that for my 206WRC and Corolla WRC bodies, as I didn't want to use the TA03FS or TA02S.

• Like 3

I also saw these pics - my take was they were demonstrating the process and needed a mould that wasn't in use, and the 206 happened to be what got picked.

Likewise, just speculation :) 

13 hours ago, Truck Norris said:

I also saw these pics - my take was they were demonstrating the process and needed a mould that wasn't in use, and the 206 happened to be what got picked.

Likewise, just speculation :) 

Wow! I know it's a small world, but I wonder if we've seen the same photos?  They were shown to me on the laptop screen of a friend who explained he couldn't possibly share the files. I have known him since 1995 and I know him as a very credible person. He runs his own business and visited Shizuoka in May (we didn't meet before last weekend) and either his photos have been spread after all or we both know him or more than his set of photos exist. Either way, as I pointed out in the initial post, the photos just verify that the mold has been taken out of stock and some samples made.

The stack seen in the photos is about 70-80cm high with the bodies loosely stacked, which means a quantity relevant for samples, but of course not enough for series production. My friend stated that he could observe only the single stack of bodies. More may have existed, or maybe not. As initally stated, the fact that the mold has been taken out of stock and samples made, is no guarantee for a re-release, but I think there is a fair chance. After all, it wouldn't be the first 90's touring/rally body revived by Tamiya. Anyway, I think it's about time for the 206 and Corolla again! :)

9 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Wow! I know it's a small world, but I wonder if we've seen the same photos? 

I think I've seen a different one - it was on Facebook and appeared to be from a Tamiya factory tour and showed a group of people being shown the 206 mould and I think a couple of clear bodies too. It was one of a whole album rather than an isolated image.

I've just tried to find it, but the original post wasn't in English so I'm drawing a blank when searching.

And that 70-80cm stack might just be those that get bagged and tagged and handed out at Tamiya races around Japan. What we speculate as another release, might just be another run of the mill day at the Tamiya factory... who knows.

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2019 at 9:46 AM, Mokei Kagaku said:

I've actually done exactly that for my 206WRC and Corolla WRC bodies, as I didn't want to use the TA03FS or TA02S.

Did they fit OK with the rear motor sticking out like it does? I'd like to try some different shells for my MF01X, but I am not sure what would fit it. What do the TL01 arms do?

3 hours ago, dc-arena said:

Did they fit OK with the rear motor sticking out like it does? I'd like to try some different shells for my MF01X, but I am not sure what would fit it. What do the TL01 arms do?

TL01 arms (and 39mm driveshafts) widen the track 20mm to regular touring width.