KEV THE REV

Quicker Drive Clod-box-buster

This is my latest project which started out as a ' get a new chassis for my QD Clodbuster ' idea . It spiralled into this creation . After buying a QD chassis from eBay and some other sundry parts to go with it , the chassis turned out to be a later chassis ( thanks for the advice and info help Mokei Kagaku and Waterbok ) which has a seperate AA battery box that inserts into the battery compartment , which is different to my original Clod QD chassis which takes 8 x AA batteries straight in  , so I thought about modifying it a 'bit' to add in a 'proper' battery , this then became a ' rip out the PCB and replace servo with useable electrics and a 540 motor '  affair . I installed a Lunchbox rear axle assembly , fitted an Acoms AS16 servo and adjustable steering links to the front , Dremmelled out the side boxes to take a 7.2 stick pack , fitted some quick release fittings for the top cover , added in some alu dampers and it now rocks . I also widened the front track with barrell nuts to match the rear track . A lot of members have modded QD's and I thought I would give it a go . I've got a 1/16th scale Toyota Hilux body coming which measures the right size , I hope it fits , it should look good :)

P7250008.JPG

P7250001.JPG

P7250002.JPG

P7250003.JPG

P7250004.JPG

P7250005.JPG

P7250007.JPG

hilux 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First time I've seen someone else do this to a quick drive, My little brother had a Quick Drive Jeep Wrangler that he discarded, so I put in a Super Hornet transmission on it....Never saw one like it until now....Great Job.... makes me want to buy another one....:D

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tecnica2001 said:

makes me want to buy another one....:D

Thanks mate . These a great fun to work on , very simple in design but adaptable in a lot of ways , why not do it , they are a bit lighter than a Lunchbox , with the punch of the 540 - the steering and suspension are more basic but with the adjustable steering rods and changed out / modified servo horn and oil dampers it has taken out the 'slop' from the original bent wires set up  . This whole conversion was easier than I thought it would be . The hardest part was shoe-horning in the 7.2 stick pack and modifiying the battery door . I could have used a 7.2 hump pack , but I think that would have entailed a lot Dremmeling too and would have used up a lot of the radio space inside the tub

This is pretty cool. Can you share a few more pics of the underside of the truck, and the chassis? I am curious about the front-end. 

How does it drive?

I'll get a few more pics . The front end lower casing has been Dremmelled out to accomodate the AS16 servo as it is a different shape to the stock QD one . It handles suprisingly well , I haven't run it with these rear shox on it yet ,  I had some different ones before when I first ran it and they were hard  , these are softer and more 'tuneable'

1 hour ago, smirk-racing said:

Can you share a few more pics of the underside of the truck

some pics of underside ;)

P7260003.JPG

P7260006.JPG

P7260007.JPG

The Hilux body turned out to be just a bit too small so I can't use it on this , but the Hilux kit is a nice model anyway , so it can sit next to it's big brother the Bruiser on the shelf ;)